Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jesús Molina - Wow!

You know, as far as Jesus having weight problems, I actually get it.    It must be very stressful being at or near the top level of the music business.   I know that as soon as I got anywhere near success, I immediately self-destructed, probably as a way of avoiding the whole thing.

20 minutes ago, Floyd Tatum said:

I don't know, it just seemed like something a younger person might have said.    As a 44-year-old, I'm sure you've learned by now that other people have different experiences.

For what it's worth and regardless of age, I found Domi,/JD, Jesus Molina and others via gear posts and youtube threads that tie things together. For example, I first heard Domi via the Spectrasonics video on their site. Jesus was via his early videos at Nord booth NAMM.

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2

1 minute ago, Motif88 said:

For example, I first heard Domi via the Spectrasonics video on their site. Jesus was via his early videos at Nord booth NAMM.

You’re probably right. I follow both Spectrasonics and Nord and maybe it’s how I got to these guys too. I’m sure about Molina, I first heard him through Nord videos. Only not sure about Domi. I think that I first found her in a video where she’s sight reading Cory Henry’s Lingus solo.

I saw Domi and JD open for CHON. They are pretty amazing to watch, but I don't know that I would ever just listen to them.

People like Domi and Jesus are just incomprehensible to me. They're chops are so good that I have trouble relating what they do to even being music. This is not meant as a knock! Just a truth; I really wish I enjoyed listening to them as much as I enjoy just observing their talent.

• Like 3

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

I just saw an interview with Jesus, and apparently he's self-taught!   That makes his acheivement even more spectacular.   And apparently, he played sax first, then piano, then drums.   I think somewhere along the line he also learned bass.   Sick.  He can also sing like a Spanish pop singer.   He should do a double career:  one as a pop singer, the other as a jazz player.   He seems to enjoy both, and he could make more money as a pop singer, probably.   🙂 I don't think anyone else has ever done that.   Nat King Cole sort of did it, so did Ray Charles, but they were sort of jazz-pop singers.    Jesus could be a pure pop act on one hand, and a top-notch jazz act on the other.

And we all know Matthew, correct?

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

8 minutes ago, Floyd Tatum said:

He should do a double career:  one as a pop singer, the other as a jazz player.   He seems to enjoy both, and he could make more money as a pop singer, probably.   🙂 I don't think anyone else has ever done that.

George Benson was pretty successful as both!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Floyd Tatum said:

I just saw an interview with Jesus, and apparently he's self-taught!   That makes his acheivement even more spectacular.   And apparently, he played sax first, then piano, then drums.   I think somewhere along the line he also learned bass.   Sick.  He can also sing like a Spanish pop singer.   He should do a double career:  one as a pop singer, the other as a jazz player.   He seems to enjoy both, and he could make more money as a pop singer, probably.   🙂 I don't think anyone else has ever done that.   Nat King Cole sort of did it, so did Ray Charles, but they were sort of jazz-pop singers.    Jesus could be a pure pop act on one hand, and a top-notch jazz act on the other.

Now…see what we have started?

Have you tried this exercise yet?

• Like 1

Using:

Sold/Traded:

18 minutes ago, Floyd Tatum said:

Now…see what we have started?

OK…one more.

• Like 2

Using:

Sold/Traded:

Last one, promise….

• Like 2

Using:

Sold/Traded:

Jesus Molina is yet another example of a gifted and talented person. No other explanation for his abilities required. 

Regardless of any decline in music education in schools and advances in music technology the universe will always send a shooting star in human form. 

It remains to be seen if the music business will afford Jesus Molina an opportunity to produce a body of work providing that's a path he even wants to pursue.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

27 minutes ago, ProfD said:

Jesus Molina ia yet another of a gifted and talented person. No other explanation for his abilities required. 

Regardless of any decline in music education in schools and advances in music technology the universe will always send a shooting star in human form. 

It remains to be seen if the music business will affords Jesus Molina an opportunity to produce a body of work providing that's a path he even wants to pursue.😎

That's true.    He sure can play, though.    I wish him the best.

On 5/4/2024 at 11:10 PM, Floyd Tatum said:

He should do a double career:  one as a pop singer, the other as a jazz player.   He seems to enjoy both, and he could make more money as a pop singer, probably.   🙂 I don't think anyone else has ever done that.   Nat King Cole sort of did it, so did Ray Charles, but they were sort of jazz-pop singers

Patrice Rushen springs to mind.

Cheers, Mike

• Like 1

On 5/4/2024 at 3:16 PM, Motif88 said:

And we all know Matthew, correct?

I hadn’t heard of him, thanks for sharing! I get the usual suspects that have already been mentioned in this thread in my YouTube and IG feed but had not heard of Whitaker until now. It’s nice to know that the algorithm hasn’t completely replaced human to human interactions. 

• Like 1

Jazz is the teacher, Funk is the preacher!

Within the past 10 years, most folks would be hard pressed to name 5 musicians let alone 1 who are double threat Pop and Jazz musician.  

The music industry no longer caters to a talent like Jesus Molina.  Uber-talented folks like him get absorbed into playing behind other artists.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

4 hours ago, EscapeRocks said:

This is when I discovered Jesus

The first thing that pops into my mind as I listen to this is:   "he's like an Oscar with even more musicality and better feel".   And I'm Canadian!   I'm not certain it's true, but that's what came to mind.