Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sam Ash now closing all stores?

46 minutes ago, Stokely said:

If you are saying that in March, and then closing in early May, you didn't mean one word of that spiel.  You always intended to close all the stores.   

I'll be more generous and say they were hoping to not have to close all stores, i.e. hoping for an investor who would spare them from having to do that.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Fair enough.  I'm not versed in the realm of big biz and investors and all that to know how fast that sort of thing can happen.  

• 2 weeks later...

37 minutes ago, 16251 said:

image.png.191df0ea3214cf5c5cb454f735ed8e73.png

Store closing.  Everything on sale.  Up to 90% off lowest ticketed price (limited exceptions apply).

The retail equivalent of pull my finger.  The trick that never seems to get old.🤣😎

• Haha 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

51 minutes ago, CHarrell said:

I'm ignorant, what does this entire message mean?

Highest discounts on the least desirable gear and brands.😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Yep.  A buddy of mine was in one of our stores today.

A whopping 5% off all keyboards.  He saw no good deals, let alone "clearance" type deals.   As per usual, the ones on the floor were scuffed up and missing knobs.   "Up to 90%" indeed.

1 hour ago, CHarrell said:

What does lowest ticketed price mean though? I've never seen that before.

Example ;  Something is tagged at $2000, marked down to $1800, now sale price is $1700

$1700 would be the lowest ticketed price  

Hope this helps  :cheers:

• Like 1
:nopity:

• 2 weeks later...

i was in the NYC store one last time a few days ago- vs a few weeks earlier the back of the store was closed off, there was perhaps one lone controller keyboard in the front.

Truly the end of an era. 

I trekked down to GC on 14th- they actually had 2 Casio PX6000's (which I was looking at ) plugged in, but everything else off, as if they are onto the fact that people are there only to audition and not to buy.

The Facebook posts are scams - not from Sam Ash. I see them every day.

These "clearance" and "store closing" "final" sales all follow the same pattern, in my experience - signs proclaiming a big percentage off the price - but there are independent companies that conduct these "sales" and they start off by jacking the "regular" price way up before you get your "big discount."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Reezekeys said:

The Facebook posts are scams - not from Sam Ash. I see them every day.

These "clearance" and "store closing" "final" sales all follow the same pattern, in my experience - signs proclaiming a big percentage off the price - but there are independent companies that conduct these "sales" and they start off by jacking the "regular" price way up before you get your "big discount."

This. Sam Ash even has a message on their site about these scam posts. They don’t point to the real Sam Ash website. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Speaking of hosted in China...search for example "sale Roland Fantom" and you'll get a few super low priced "Fantoms" on Alibaba/Ali Express and the like.  Are there really people fool enough to buy an electronic keyboard from a place like that?  Don't answer that....  I know there are tons of fake guitars and fake pickups (I wouldn't trust upgraded pickups in a used guitar, or at least wouldn't value them as upgrades, as apparently fakes are not only very cheap but can be very hard to spot.)   But keyboards?  If it worked at all, would would be inside the thing?  :D  Hard to imagine a factory making knock-off Roland Fantoms and the like.   Maybe its simply that these are stolen or something, no idea.

1 hour ago, Stokely said:

Hard to imagine a factory making knock-off Roland Fantoms and the like.   Maybe its simply that these are stolen or something, no idea.

That's why it's best to buy big ticket items from a reputable and verifiable seller. 

Too good to be true and/or or shady is usually a duck.😎

• Like 1

PD

3 hours ago, Stokely said:

Speaking of hosted in China...search for example "sale Roland Fantom" and you'll get a few super low priced "Fantoms" on Alibaba/Ali Express and the like.  Are there really people fool enough to buy an electronic keyboard from a place like that?  Don't answer that....  I know there are tons of fake guitars and fake pickups (I wouldn't trust upgraded pickups in a used guitar, or at least wouldn't value them as upgrades, as apparently fakes are not only very cheap but can be very hard to spot.)   But keyboards?  If it worked at all, would would be inside the thing?  :D  Hard to imagine a factory making knock-off Roland Fantoms and the like.   Maybe its simply that these are stolen or something, no idea.

I shared this story a month ago but there was a wave of Nords for like $400 on Ali Express. I thought it would be fun so I messaged the WhatsApp number (because all reputable storefronts conduct business on a third party app and not on the website they're located on). The person got back to me and was giving me all kinds of crazy deals: "Sorry I don't have the money to buy this outright."

"You can do a three installment plan, no interest."

"Sorry, I can't pay that installment right now either."

"Well you can just give a small downpayment for now and we'll ship it to you for free."

"Can you send me pictures to show it's real?"
"Yes, I'll send you photos when I arrive to my office."

Hours later, he sends me a pic of the Nord Stage 4, which is stored in a warehouse with a massive array of classic gear. ...I looked up Nord Stage 4 on Reverb right after and immediately saw the exact same photos on a listing from Armens in NY. I decided to play a little dumb: "Can you explain why I found these exact same images on an unaffiliated website and seller?"

Exact response: "this is why sometimes it is difficult giving pictures to buyers. some drop shippers will come to us gather information, use it and repost on their website ."

He didn't message me with any more deals after that. 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If any of you are interested, Sam Ash filed bankruptcy in Newark, New Jersey and anyone can read the docket which shows the current status of the case.  Just Google Sam Ash Music Bankruptcy docket.  The case is just getting started.  Its pre-petition lender is also its DIP lender.  It will be interesting to see if anyone wants to buy the company other than its lender who wants to credit bid.  

On 5/3/2024 at 12:03 PM, Iconoclast said:

Went to the single Sam Ash in Glendale (Phoenix AZ) yesterday.

Things are not really discounted at all. In fact many things were quite a bit more than the advertised prices I was easily able to find at GC or SweetH2O.

The employees felt blindsided; they thought their store was going to survive. Supposedly will be open for another 6ish weeks.

But if they don't drastically slash prices, they're certainly not going to move any thing they weren't moving before.

Went to the Las Vegas store on the 18th and it was the same story.

On 5/30/2024 at 4:33 AM, Greg Mein said:

It sure doesn't matter to FB.

ScreenShot2024-05-29at7_31_25PM.thumb.png.80753f92f3772cb04ded5f155723e089.png

Our “overlords” here think scam ads are just fine… because it’s income for them. Infuriating!

• Like 2

One of the issues is that it's usually bots that look at our scam reports.  Unless it comes directly from the entity being scammed, it's harder to get thru to a human who can intervene.

I can't tell you how many times I've reported fake accounts of 'famous' musicians, only to get  a similar reply as those above.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Related to this, apparently Manny's is coming back!

https://guitar.com/news/industry-news/vista-musical-instruments-acquires-trademarks-mannys-sam-ash-music/

Looks like the trademark was purchased from Sam Ash back in January. Interesting....

If you're not familiar with Meng Ru Kuok, here is an article on him......he's got many tentacles in many music spaces....

https://www.musicbusinessworldwide.com/people/meng-ru-kuok/

• Like 2