Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

AI is Doomed to Fail......

20 hours ago, ksoper said:

In the mean time, until these programs can pass Adam Neely's musical Turing test, proceed as planned. 

So that means "by the end of the summer pop cycle." By October, look for a Japanese "TAI-lor Sw£ft" android so exquisitely modeled, it makes Beyonce sound like a croaking toad. The lawsuits will start flying like ninja throwing stars. A "Weird Al" AI will accidentally sing the Brown Note at a country fair and flood a 5-mile radius.

I'm so far behind. All I can do is sorta play the pipe organ and not humiliate myself on a celeste. 🤨🤓

"You seem pretty calm about all that."
 "Well, inside, I'm screaming.
    ~ "The Lazarus Project"

20 hours ago, Tusker said:

At the risk of derailing this thread, may I please mention that your album Miutronics is a complete inspiration to me? It's a testament to the human imagination. I am blown away!

Congratulations! 🎈 

Thank you very much!  

• Like 1

Just watched a cool YouTube on AI Generated Music and the guy used one of the AI Music generators typed out the type of tune he wanted.  It spit out a short tune, he request a longer tune, it added to the tune.  Then he said he wanted variations to compare to and he ended up with a handful of variations.   Then he took the tune and put it through a AI stem separator.   He then started editing, replacing the drums, adding tracks and building up the tune.   He felt it need some more variation so split one of the variations he liked and then pulled pieces of it into the tune   He than start adding automation to AI tracks that were lacking dynamics.   He ended up with a nice track he planing to keep working on.     So he was showing AI can do a lot, but adding his own creativity to get his ideas out.   That the AI is another tool and up to the user to be creative with it or not. 

• Like 1

I read a story in my FB feed where the wife of dead singer Steve Marriott is trying to sell the rights of Steve's name to an AI music content creator where they would make new humble pie songs with Steve's AI fabricated voice. But she doesn't own Humble Pies name just the Marriott estate. That would truly be an abomination. That's why I don't believe in human cloning. What's unthinkable to a normal person is not a worry to an evil scientist. 

FunMachine.

1 hour ago, Baldwin Funster said:

I read a story in my FB feed where the wife of dead singer Steve Marriott is trying to sell the rights of Steve's name to an AI music content creator where they would make new humble pie songs with Steve's AI fabricated voice. But she doesn't own Humble Pies name just the Marriott estate. That would truly be an abomination. That's why I don't believe in human cloning. What's unthinkable to a normal person is not a worry to an evil scientist. 

A singer and her guitarist I was friends with had a cool band.  She was a great singer but her and the guitarist were good not great songwriters.   So the band eventually broke up and she got into studio work as a singer for jingles and all sorts of stuff.   One jingle session she's on wasn't sounding like the producer wanted and she heard him say I want to sound like Fleetwood Mac which was the new Fleetwood with Stevie Nicks.     The singer said I can do that if you want and she goes out and sings the jingle like Stevie Nicks so good you could tell it wasn't Stevie.   Well she tells the producer I'm good at imitating other singers and she starts getting lots of work singing like Stevie Nicks and occasionally others.    Then the lawsuit came she the jingle house was being sued for imitating Stevie for commercial work.   I don't remember the legal name it was called.    They didn't think Nicks would win but she did and the singer started losing work people being scared they might be sued too.   So might no need a AI computer to sound like someone else, but at least in my friends case she was sued by the real person and it cost her. 

2 hours ago, Docbop said:

A singer and her guitarist I was friends with had a cool band.  She was a great singer but her and the guitarist were good not great songwriters.   So the band eventually broke up and she got into studio work as a singer for jingles and all sorts of stuff.   One jingle session she's on wasn't sounding like the producer wanted and she heard him say I want to sound like Fleetwood Mac which was the new Fleetwood with Stevie Nicks.     The singer said I can do that if you want and she goes out and sings the jingle like Stevie Nicks so good you could tell it wasn't Stevie.   Well she tells the producer I'm good at imitating other singers and she starts getting lots of work singing like Stevie Nicks and occasionally others.    Then the lawsuit came she the jingle house was being sued for imitating Stevie for commercial work.   I don't remember the legal name it was called.    They didn't think Nicks would win but she did and the singer started losing work people being scared they might be sued too.   So might no need a AI computer to sound like someone else, but at least in my friends case she was sued by the real person and it cost her. 

Nick's is unique and it's impressive if a fellow human can fool you into thinking it's her. Steve Marriott on the other hand has a voice and range that would be near impossible for another singer to copy enough to fool a fan. I have heard covers by Beth Hart and Debora Bonham that captured a strong Marriott flavor but at no time did I think it was Steve himself. 

Black coffee is my name......

FunMachine.

12 hours ago, Docbop said:

Just watched a cool YouTube on AI Generated Music and the guy used one of the AI Music generators typed out the type of tune he wanted.  It spit out a short tune, he request a longer tune, it added to the tune.  Then he said he wanted variations to compare to and he ended up with a handful of variations.   Then he took the tune and put it through a AI stem separator.   He then started editing, replacing the drums, adding tracks and building up the tune.   He felt it need some more variation so split one of the variations he liked and then pulled pieces of it into the tune   He than start adding automation to AI tracks that were lacking dynamics.   He ended up with a nice track he planing to keep working on.     So he was showing AI can do a lot, but adding his own creativity to get his ideas out.   That the AI is another tool and up to the user to be creative with it or not. 

Exactly, imagine what you can churn out with Suno today, but in stems + midi which is already set up with the instruments in your DAW etc. I do believe that in a near future some DAW manufacturer will definitely start using these technologies in one way or the other to assist in the creative process "What would you like to create today?". Will be interesting to see the new Logic version with the AI Session Players, and what can be achieved with that!

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Band Rig: PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

13 hours ago, TommyRude said:

Maybe, but Apple won’t give up without a fight.  The new iPad with AI

Oooops!

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/article/2024/may/09/apple-ipad-ad-prompts-online-backlash

• Like 2

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Band Rig: PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

I want an ad to show me what a product can do. I assume that if I bought an iPad Pro, hydraulic presses would not appear randomly throughout my house and crush things. 

It looks like Apple is trying to imitate the amazing 1984 Superbowl commercial (directed by Ridley Scott) that launched the Macintosh personal computer. But it's not a good idea to steal from yourself if you miss the point of what you're stealing. The 1984 ad was about destroying bad things, not destroying good things. 

Dumb and perfunctory. The message of "it's powerful and thin," coupled with "all I ever need is you," just may be the worst juxtaposition of taglines ever from a company that used to be known for its brilliant ads.

9 hours ago, Anderton said:

The 1984 ad was about destroying bad things, not destroying good things. 

Exactly

Apple says let’s crush a metronome, a horn, a guitar, some paint.  WTF?  You would hope this would be a moment where they fire everyone and rethink their entire culture and methodology.  Doubt it.

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

On 5/1/2024 at 4:22 AM, Tusker said:

AI is predicted to have an exponential growth in capability right? And it's just starting right? So how can we know?

Enjoy the journey. Play music. Have fun.

This. It’s not going away, so gotta contend with it on some level. Meanwhile, enjoy life.

6 hours ago, Cliffk said:

And it's just starting right? So how can we know?

How many could have drawn a straight line between BBS forums and Sam Ash closing? Or between AOL and the end of the music industry as we know it? Or that mail and maps would become relics of a different era? It's impossible to know for sure how things will play out.

My prediction about AI is that bad things will get worse and good things will get better. Seems like a safe bet :)

• Like 1

Videos of crushing things have been hugely popular on the socials. It’s easy to see how the marketing people came up with an idea they thought would highlight the slim design while cashing in on this trend. I guess the backlash means they missed the cultural zeitgeist on this one but I don’t think this speaks to Apple having nefarious intentions as much as it speaks to the fear that many people have about their jobs being replaced by AI. With everything going on in the world right now, the backlash to this ad really seems like much ado about nothing.

Jazz is the teacher, Funk is the preacher!

Reading this I wonder is Apple had said....  it isn't crushing it's compressing all those tools into one.     Changing crushing to compressing might of spun the chatter in their direction. 

2 hours ago, CrossRhodes said:

With everything going on in the world right now, the backlash to this ad really seems like much ado about nothing.

Well, I think there are perhaps two different reactions. There's the knee-jerk reaction to things being destroyed (not everyone liked Pete Townshend smashing guitars either) and maybe a taste of what you identify as "the fear that many people have about their jobs being replaced by AI."

The second backlash is more like mine - it's WTF marketing from a company normally known for classy marketing. I'm sure they wanted to get talked about, and they are...so give them props for that. But as I said, "it's thin and it does lots of things" is an ad that could apply to any iPad. There could have been other ways to do it, like having someone sitting in front of an older Mac that sucks all the things into it like a vacuum cleaner, and then something crushes the big, old computer and the scraps morph into an iPad. Or have a super-fast time lapse ad of someone using the iPad to take a picture of model, process it, work it into a flyer, create a soundtrack for an event, edit the video behind the presentation, and then capture it with the iPad - one thing that really does it all, but the ad shows that.

I'm not saying those are the two most brilliant ideas in advertising ever. Those are just off the top of my head while sitting in a hospital taking care of someone. I'm just saying that either one of those would have at least gotten the point across to me in a way that would make me say "wow, I could use that" as opposed to something that crushes stuff, which I don't really need.  

As to cashing in on social media, I remember when Apple set trends, not followed them. Oh well.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Anderton said:

Well, I think there are perhaps two different reactions. There's the knee-jerk reaction to things being destroyed (not everyone liked Pete Townshend smashing guitars either) and maybe a taste of what you identify as "the fear that many people have about their jobs being replaced by AI."

The second backlash is more like mine - it's WTF marketing from a company normally known for classy marketing. I'm sure they wanted to get talked about, and they are...so give them props for that. But as I said, "it's thin and it does lots of things" is an ad that could apply to any iPad. There could have been other ways to do it, like having someone sitting in front of an older Mac that sucks all the things into it like a vacuum cleaner, and then something crushes the big, old computer and the scraps morph into an iPad. Or have a super-fast time lapse ad of someone using the iPad to take a picture of model, process it, work it into a flyer, create a soundtrack for an event, edit the video behind the presentation, and then capture it with the iPad - one thing that really does it all, but the ad shows that.

I'm not saying those are the two most brilliant ideas in advertising ever. Those are just off the top of my head while sitting in a hospital taking care of someone. I'm just saying that either one of those would have at least gotten the point across to me in a way that would make me say "wow, I could use that" as opposed to something that crushes stuff, which I don't really need.  

As to cashing in on social media, I remember when Apple set trends, not followed them. Oh well.

Or have loads of creative things (records, instruments, paint...) leap out of an iPad - Apple's idea, in reverse.

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, stoken6 said:

Or have loads of creative things (records, instruments, paint...) leap out of an iPad - Apple's idea, in reverse.

Cheers, Mike.

That would have been cool, and WAY more appropriate because it would be about how the iPad CREATES cool stuff. That's better messaging, and if done right, would also have been able to get noticed.

Send Apple your resume! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anderton said:

Yeah they misfired on this one but it's really not a big deal and is being blown way out of proportion imo. No idea how many people were upset that things were being crushed (again these vids get millions of views on social) but the majority of the backlash being featured in news articles was from artists/writers/musicians/actors who have all been very vocal about AI and topics like copyright infringement, ownership of digital likeness, etc. Per Apple "following trends", every single company and most individuals promoting a product or agenda are now dialed into social media and for better or worse are being influenced by trends while trying to capitalize on them. I would argue "for worse" but there's no going back at this point.

Jazz is the teacher, Funk is the preacher!

7 hours ago, CrossRhodes said:

Yeah they misfired on this one but it's really not a big deal and is being blown way out of proportion imo.

Unfortunately, I think things being blown out of proportion is a general trend. Outrage drives so much of the online experience.

Maybe my viewpoint is a little different. Being accidentally involved in marketing for much of my life (I never set out to do that, I was just in the right place at the right time), I've been aware of TBWA Chiat/Day's work for Apple. They've done incredible campaigns: the 1984 ad, iPod silouettes, the "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" campaign, Switch, the "Don't Blink" web video campaign, and so many more. It's hard to reconcile the company that urged users to "Think Different" and tied it in with people like Albert Einstein, Bob Dylan, Martin Luther King Jr., John Lennon, R. Buckminster Fuller, Thomas Edison, Muhammad Ali, Maria Callas, Mahatma Gandhi, Amelia Earhart, Alfred Hitchcock, Martha Graham, Frank Lloyd Wright, Picasso, etc. now thinks it's cool to crush things and say "it's thin and all you need. " What sold iPhones IMHO was Apple being very specific about its main selling points and advantages over its competitors.

So maybe idiocracy has finally infected Apple. Or maybe they used AI to create the ad :)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Anderton said:

That would have been cool, and WAY more appropriate because it would be about how the iPad CREATES cool stuff. That's better messaging, and if done right, would also have been able to get noticed.

I can't take credit for that idea, but it's interesting that it hits home for you, just as it does for me. iPad as "next-gen creator's workstation" is a powerful marketing message, even if the reality is that pro creators need a richer OS/user experience than iPad can currently offer.

Cheers, Mike.

In another thread, I was turned on to this guy's exceptional Kurzweil VAST programming skills, nailing these famous sounds. It got me thinking that an great use for AI would be to be able to 'hear' an inputted sound, then reproduce it using VAST, or whatever synthesis method it's trained in.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

On 5/9/2024 at 6:06 PM, TommyRude said:

Maybe, but Apple won’t give up without a fight.  The new iPad with AI

It's now time for the destroyer of things to be destroyed in retaliation.  :roll:

Absolutely love this guy. My favorite part is at 7:05.  :thu:

Ever since the Unbox Therapy iPhone BendGate years ago many sites are doing bend and drop tests of Apple products.  This one it the third one for the new iPad since it came out a few days ago.  Apple must be laughing all the way to the bank seeing people destroy brand new Apple phones and tablets for YouTube Likes.   

Interesting that the AI song creator put a faux guitar in but no keyboards.

Also , try Googling:

Does AI want to kill all humans?

Answer given by AI:

Over 2,000 experts say there is a 5% chance AI will be a human extintion event.

So 1 in 20. So at least it's not dangerous....

• Haha 2

FunMachine.

55 minutes ago, Baldwin Funster said:

Answer given by AI:

Over 2,000 experts say there is a 5% chance AI will be a human extintion event.

So 1 in 20. So at least it's not dangerous....

I think the odds just got a little worse...

https://gizmodo.com/openai-reportedly-dissolves-its-existential-ai-risk-tea-1851484827

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)