Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Rhodes MK8 Earth Edition

D8mn. My favorite color too. Might have to sign up.🤣😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Now that’s a sweet-looking machine. If I were a potential Rhodes buyer, that would be the color I’d want.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Wait... *ripping out a kidney while googling new kidneys on demand* to see if I will get enough for it..

:D

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Band Rig: PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

I think the message would have more impact if they were committing to this partnership on all of their models moving forward. Otherwise just feels like a publicity stunt. I'm with you all that it's a fine looking instrument though. Hope it does well for them. 

• Like 1

Jazz is the teacher, Funk is the preacher!

It's very cool looking, if I was going to plunk down several grand for an MK8, I might go for this one just for the aesthetics.  

If you want to fund the planting of trees, you can just send money to an organization that plants trees, and cut out the middle man. 

Or, you could decide you're going to play a vintage rhodes instead of buying a new one that had to be sourced from minerals and fossil fuel-derived products and that features wooden keys and wood trimming that came from . . . wait for it . . . a tree!

We're talking about miniscule amounts of stuff in the grand scheme of things, but if you want to really make a point about saving the environment, there's better ways to do it.

• Like 3

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

7 hours ago, Adan said:

It's very cool looking, if I was going to plunk down several grand for an MK8, I might go for this one just for the aesthetics.  

If you want to fund the planting of trees, you can just send money to an organization that plants trees, and cut out the middle man. 

Or, you could decide you're going to play a vintage rhodes instead of buying a new one that had to be sourced from minerals and fossil fuel-derived products and that features wooden keys and wood trimming that came from . . . wait for it . . . a tree!

We're talking about miniscule amounts of stuff in the grand scheme of things, but if you want to really make a point about saving the environment, there's better ways to do it.

Yes, grabbing a good old Rhodes would definitely be a more sustainable option, and even if you need to put in some cash for a wizard to get it up to shape, it'd still be leaving you with a nice pile of cash left over to donate to save the world...

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Band Rig: PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

6 minutes ago, drawback said:

Does a sustainable pedal come with it?

I like what you did there 😉

• Like 1

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

8 hours ago, Brad Kaenel said:

My wife said, "It's pretty; why don't you order one."  Um...

HEARD AND WITNESSED!

Funny thing, spousal approval.  I made a pitch for a new keyboard, saying there's a great sale going on (there is) and I'm in the process of selling at least one of my current ones (I am, though no real sniffs yet).   She just says "go ahead, you deserve it!"   .... O_o   Wasn't expecting that....  frankly, I have made enough at shows to justify it but I really do need to thin the unused herd first.  If I miss the sale, another will be along....

On 4/23/2024 at 5:08 PM, Stokely said:

HEARD AND WITNESSED!

Funny thing, spousal approval.  I made a pitch for a new keyboard, saying there's a great sale going on (there is) and I'm in the process of selling at least one of my current ones (I am, though no real sniffs yet).   She just says "go ahead, you deserve it!"   .... O_o   Wasn't expecting that....  frankly, I have made enough at shows to justify it but I really do need to thin the unused herd first.  If I miss the sale, another will be along....

Yes, I agree heartily that it's a great blessing to have my wife affirm (or deny) such a purchase, as I am often myopic when it comes to my own wants/needs; she knows this.  At 65, I'm rapidly approaching the point where purchasing new gear is both wasteful and impractical, and despite spousal approval I would have to admit that this Rhodes is both of those.

If I were to consider one last "vanity" purchase before closing my checkbook for good, it might instead be a VV Marquis 73 which, although still a $10K instrument, appeals more to me for its homages to the original, the Harold Rhodes family, domestic origin, and mechanical innovation.

That said, I could never spend that kind of moola without actually playing the instrument first, which will be a challenging, though not impossible, task on its own!

Legend '70s Compact, Jupiter-Xm, Studiologic Numa X 73

Wow that's expensive. I guess the idea is that they charge you a few grand more than the normal edition and then they donate to a tree planting charity? Are they doing anything charitable on their own beyond donating the surcharge? Sort of hits like when the grocery store asks me to round up my bill so they can donate it.

• Like 1

Yamaha CP73, Prophet 6, Moog Grandmother, Vintage Vibe Deluxe 73

And then, thanks to the geniuses who delivered Brexit, you need to pay more taxes if you buy from any Europe country outside the UK. And it is not a minor thing: in Spain it would be about 21% VAT plus import taxes (I guess about 8%). Add shipping and then we are talking close to 20.000€ 🤯

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Brad Kaenel said:

That said, I could never spend that kind of moola without actually playing the instrument first, which will be a challenging, though not impossible, task on its own!

Hey Brad, Dan Goldman passed this on to me awhile ago. I'm not sure if Nick is still involved with them up in Santa Barbara.

https://rhodesmusic.com/the-rhodes-showroom-ca/

At that same time he said they were also working on getting a demo at a site in Santa Monica. I don't know if that ever came about but you could drop Dan or Nick an email and find out.

I'd also wager a guess that there has to be someone in LA with an MK8 that Dan or Nick could put you in touch with to demo it.

1 hour ago, Dave Ferris said:

Hey Brad, Dan Goldman passed this on to me awhile ago. I'm not sure if Nick is still involved with them up in Santa Barbara.

At that same time he said they were also working on getting a demo at a site in Santa Monica. I don't know if that ever came about but you could drop Dan or Nick an email and find out.

I'd also wager a guess that there has to be someone in LA with an MK8 that Dan or Nick could put you in touch with to demo it.

Great; thanks, Dave. There's an email on that page; I'll try contacting Nick through that.  Would be a great mid-week trip for a retired couple -- drive up to Santa Barbara, try some gear, visit the beach. My wife would be down for it, no question!

Legend '70s Compact, Jupiter-Xm, Studiologic Numa X 73

2 hours ago, Dave Ferris said:

Wow, what a small world! I did some filming of Nick and his wife in their band Volt Per Octaves some 15 odd years ago. Really nice folks with some cool tunes. Good to see him involved with the Rhodes gang.

Jazz is the teacher, Funk is the preacher!