Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP Dickey Betts

Obviously not "keyboard" related but I think many of us came up on the Allman Brothers, their concept and signature sound. I know the "Brothers & Sisters" album, when Chuck came on, was pivotal in my development - "Jessica", "Southbound". 

And how many times in my youth did I play "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" and his beautiful "Blue Sky".

RIP.

https://www.jambase.com/article/allman-brothers-band-dickey-betts-obituary?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR0s0gjV21IeeW5XFwEYsHHEcVFCNtUuY8zf9plUMrrs7Txc9SICqfE2kv8_aem_ATIPtXv1wn62akc-7xg_0ZZolKFqW9h-sqo7ZlhCZClyem3gEKb06ShSWEQe48B3v-TZqiS_PKdvGEpg_r_KsgQK

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Love 2

That one hurts for me I remember the Duane and Greg back to their band Hourglass and when the Allman Brother came out I was an instant fan.   Then after Duane passed became equally big fan of Dickey Betts.   Thanks for all your music you shared with us Dickey RIP. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Delaware Dave said:

Sucks getting old .....

Even worse if/when one is reduced to wearing diapers and eating pureed food and taking a ton of medication to stay alive.😁

Hopefully, that was not his testimony.  80 years is a long time running on the train.  RIP Mr. Betts. 😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

RIP Mr. Betts and thanks for the wonderful music.

I've played so much of his music through the years. He wrote songs that are now classics and was an amazing guitar player in his prime. My first concert was The Allman Brothers at the Nassau Coliseum in 1974 with Dicky on guitar. That concert was a huge inspiration for me.

I remember the first time I heard Dicky was when a friend told me to check out this new band called the Allman Brothers. It was around 1970 and he played Don't Want You No More / It's Not My Cross to Bear. The 12-year old me was so blown away and I still am! 

• Like 1

Jessica has the distinction of being the rare instrumental that still gets significant radio play. An amazing achievement. Dickey's singing/writing/playing contributions drove the band's rise to their highest level of commercial success in the mid-70s.

• Love 1

Gibson G101, Fender Rhodes Piano Bass, Vox Continental, RMI Electra-Piano and Harpsichord 300A, Hammond M102A, Hohner Combo Pianet, OB8, Matrix 12, Jupiter 6, Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, CS70M, CP35, PX-5S, WK-3800, Stage 3 Compact

Live At Fillmore East changed my life – extended jams like jazz players did but on loud electric blues rock. Duane, Gregg, Berry, Butch, and now Dickey all gone. Damn, I'm old. 

• Love 1
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

In a sense, this is indeed keyboard related after all, as Betts developed an interplay with Greg Allman that was unprecedented in terms of the guitar and organ speaking together as one voice.

• Like 1

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I saw these cats many times while growing up in South Florida during the 70’s. They even played at my high school prom!  As a 15 year old, my band played everything on their first two albums. (Not well, but we got better as musicians by copying their solos). 

The twin guitars/organ interplay on songs like “Elizabeth Reed” and “Hot Lanta” brought a new sound to Southern Rock. Dicky was  as responsible as Dwayne and Gregg in developing this distinctive harmonic interplay to rock. RIP. 

• Like 5

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

The Kerry Kearney Band (my old band for about 12 years ,they opened for the Allmans w and wo YT, I did 1 small tour with 3 dates w/ Allmans in the Carolinas opening). KKB also had opened for Great Southern on a number of longer tours out west for a number of months on each tour, 3 mos. or so , so KKB members really got to know Dicky and the band/crew quite well.... They had played those tours immediatly prior to my coming into the band .... So the stories, many of them amazing but not appropriate right now immeadatly after his passing.... but I will get to them eventually.... the stories went into the KKB band lore ....

Still music knows no personality in terms of DB or anyone else.... it has a life of it's own to live and who's soul it picks to invade and nurture is only it's own business! RIP DB

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122