Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lee Michaels organ tone secrets.

He really buries the lede there but I love hearing about the mods that gave him that big, fat bass sound! 

My tech has a Hammond with that percussion mod, where he could turn it on for any harmonic. He was just working on my Leslie and telling me about one of his other favorite mods, the "Steppenwolf Switch," which bypasses the crossover so you get full range of the organ coming out of the drum. We were talking about other mods I would potentially be interested in and he said "anything's possible!" I love it.

• Like 1

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

50 minutes ago, zxcvbnm098 said:

No, he was saying his was a Model A, the very first Hammond model. 1935-1938....The 3 series didn't come out until 1954-1974....Quite different from the 3 series. 

Yes I know.  Still same reply though.

Man… what a stoner. Love Lee’s playing. My ears are still ringing from his concert back in 1972. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Had a snafu with post above anyway....the original Viscount Legend Live has a 30s organ sample that has bass like he describes ...I am not hearing that on any other clones but let me know if I am missing something . I would like to see more videos like this that focus on gear. Particularly I would be curious to know what Brian Auger has been using. Anyway interesting to see that Lee is still around.

On 4/10/2024 at 3:30 PM, SamuelBLupowitz said:

the "Steppenwolf Switch," which bypasses the crossover so you get full range of the organ coming out of the drum.

The Motion Sound Low Pro does this when delivered from the factory. It gave a honky sound in the midrange that I didnt like.  I installed a coil in the audio line inside the Low Pro to eliminate the tones over 800Hz and it cleaned up the sound.

• Love 1

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

On 4/14/2024 at 1:09 AM, mrk7421 said:

... the original Viscount Legend Live has a 30s organ sample that has bass like he describes. I am not hearing that on any other clones but let me know if I am missing something.

This refers to the "foldback" technique used in the vintage Hammond console organs. To produce all the tones required for every note on the keyboards and pedalboard on a Hammond organ using every drawbar from 16' to 1' would require a tone generator with 109 tonewheels; however, for practical reasons (size/weight/cost), a smaller number of tonewheels was used in later models (91 in the B3), and special "foldback" wiring was used for the lowest and highest drawbars at the low and high ends of the keyboards, to substitute ("fold back") the missing tones from a higher or lower octave.

At the bass end, this means that when you play the lowest two octaves on the keyboards, the 8' drawbar tone goes all the way down, but the 16' drawbar tone (which normally sounds an octave lower) is wired to repeat ("fold back") the tones from the second octave when you play the bottom octave, because the tone generator does not have the tonewheels that would be required to produce the next octave down.

In fact, the tone generator in later models (such as the B3) does have tonewheels for the next octave down, as needed for the pedalboard, but in these models the tonewheels used for the pedals are shaped to produce a "complex" waveform that is brighter than the "pure" waveform produced by the tonewheels used for the keyboards; hence the use of foldback with the 16' drawbar at the low end of the keyboard to limit the pure tones to the keyboards, and the complex tones to the pedals.

However, as Lee Michaels notes, older models such as the A did not have foldback there (because their tone generators used the same tonewheel shape, and thus produced the same "pure" waveform, for all notes), and consequently on these models when you play the lowest two octaves on the keyboards, the 16' drawbar tone goes down an octave lower than on later models such as the B3.

As you note, the "30s" organ sample on the Viscount Legend has no foldback on the 16' drawbar, with a "pure" waveform all the way down (because it is based on the BC, with the earlier tone generator). The HX3 engine (as used in MAG organs) also has a "16' Drawbar Foldback Mode" option whereby this behaviour can be enabled or disabled, but with a "complex" waveform for the lowest octave (because it is based on the B3, with the later tone generator).

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Funny to me video, because I've never heard him talk. A true California character: too much sunshine, too much weed. The Californian's retort: no such thing, dude!

The one Hammond I owned was a chop. I called it the SteppenChop. Took it to a tech, they examined the innards and said "it's a Model A!" 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Imagine this at 135db!

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

This is so great. I became a huge Lee Michaels fan upon hearing Carnival Of Life for the first time in 1968. Followed his career until he retired. In ensuing decades I would periodically try to find out what he was up to but info was pretty scarce and sparse. Mostly what I could find was that he was really deaf and was loathe to talk about his music. I also read in Keyboard mag that he had come onstage in some club in CA. with a Gleeman Pentaphonic  synth in a shopping cart and performed under the name Pay Toilet. The aforementioned  is why I’m so glad to see him resurface as an apparently happy guy who is obviously not stone deaf. Been watching his podcast and he cracks me up. Seems like a really good guy. 

Having played a bunch of his material through the 70’s I can truly say he was a real inspiration and musical hero to me. Eight or ten years ago my first real working band from ‘69 through ‘73 did a reunion show that included Hello at my insistence. Lee, thank you for being one of those who showed so many keyboard players the way.

10 hours ago, zxcvbnm098 said:

You gotta love YouTube! Lee playing piano...the comments indicate the drummer is Keith Knudsen, who played in the Doobies?

I loved Lee Michael’s. About 50 years ago my band covered “she’s my lady.”

On 4/15/2024 at 7:23 PM, Adan said:

Funny to me video, because I've never heard him talk. A true California character: too much sunshine, too much weed.

It's cool that he revealed himself and secrets to his KB rig especially for those who dug the heyday of his music. Straight from the tap.  No more speculation.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"