Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Arturia Astrolab

IMO, the Astrolab provides a self-contained hardware solution for those who gig using Arturia sounds.

At the current price, I do not believe the Astrolab will compete with or replace ROMplers among gigging musicians.

Early Astrolab adopters will be beta testers offering suggestions/complaints that could lead to firmware updates.

When Arturia lowers the Astrolab price to $999 USD it  could sell like hotcakes.😎

• Like 3

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I'll also toss this in... When playing with just 61 keys, I have very rarely cared about having more than one split point.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

3 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

I'll also toss this in... When playing with just 61 keys, I have very rarely cared about having more than one split point.

Whereas I play some songs with multiple synth, bass and pads arranged in 1 or 1.5 octaves each, so as not to be changing patch between intro, verses, middle 8s and endings. 

We all do things differently so having keyboards with lots of features and flexibility not only supports but actively enables creativity. 

Having 16 parts and unrestricted split points like on the Fantoms is the benchmark that everyone else should be aiming for. Would be a legal requirement if I ruled the world. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Ibarch said:

Whereas I play some songs with multiple synth, bass and pads arranged in 1 or 1.5 octaves each, so as not to be changing patch between intro, verses, middle 8s and endings. 

We all do things differently so having keyboards with lots of features and flexibility not only supports but actively enables creativity. 

Having 16 parts and unrestricted split points like on the Fantoms is the benchmark that everyone else should be aiming for. Would be a legal requirement if I ruled the world. 

Simple example for the cover of Heart of Glass. 

Has synth bass arpeggio in the bass, sweeping pad in the middle and organ up top. Easily fits a 61 note board. 

2 hours ago, ProfD said:

IMO, the Astrolab provides a self-contained hardware solution for those who gig using Arturia sounds.

At the current price, I do not believe the Astrolab will compete with or replace ROMplers among gigging musicians.

Early Astrolab adopters will be beta testers offering suggestions/complaints that could lead to firmware updates.

When Arturia lowers the Astrolab price to $999 USD it  could sell like hotcakes.😎

If Arturia came out with an improved version with proper screen, full complement of controls, pads and faders and the ability to play 39 synths, I would genuinely be interested. It may even persuade me to buy their V collection. 

I have a love/hate relationship with using my computer on gigs. Sure it's great to have the full VSTs but most of the time I prefer an easier life with just a single keyboard. I've moved back to this over the last 12 months. 

I wouldn't need this keyboard, I'm sure my Fantom will suffice for years. But want a hardware V collection... Definitely. 

• Like 1

I have been looking to the very clear and multiple angled pictures on Thomann listing of the Astrolab (which BTW shows availability in 1-2 weeks), and have found two things so far that call my attention:

-Transpose buttons have a visual indicator of 2 semitones up and down (I am guilty of using it 😉 and, sometimes, with larger values)

-I see some slots just over the round knob/display... They could be for cooling purposes. Would be just passive or would have any kind of fan inside 🤨?

11 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

I would normally agree on that, but once in a while you need some simple sound, sample or hit as well as the two main sounds. Alternatively you may wish to stack sounds in one or both sides of the split as I had to on the CK61 to get some big synth or pad sounds. Nord and Yamaha have had three simultaneous sounds for years now and multitimbral options go back decades. 

Regardless of preference, this is the latest keyboard to market and you would hope it had the option at this price when the CK does it for half the price. It has already chosen to exclude poly AT and a decent display/interface.

It's clearly not for me, but someone will love it I'm sure. I just don't get the lure other than being able to leave the laptop at home assuming you only use Arturia plug ins. If it let you add others it would be a different matter. The price just confuses me even more when you consider the top end controller keyboard features you are NOT getting. A small laptop or tablet and full featured controller gives way more power and flexibility and probably for a lower price. Still, if this had an Apple badge on it and ran Logic and AU plug ins, it would sell like hot cakes. 

• Like 2

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

Another way of looking at this, maybe... The Vox Continental included a set of minimally editable sounds from the Kronos engines. I always thought it would have been a lot more appealing if I could have loaded my favorite actual Kronos programs into it (within the limits of what it was capable of... i.e. sounds from the same engines, and just individual programs rather than multi-part combis, that sort of thing). The Astrolab is kind of similar to the Vox for Arturia fans, but you *can* load your sounds from the "full" version if you have it. The reason to not travel with the Kronos itself, at least for me, was largely the weight, but some people have their reasons for preferring to not travel with a Mac/Windows device, too.

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I'm starting to budget for a new Laptop to host my Mainstage setup, and, to be honest, I could make the Astrolab work by subbing some sounds, as it is, I use Arturia, Komplete, and stock Mainstage sounds in about equal measure, and there's not many sounds I use that I couldn't get strictly from Arturia. It would streamline my setup considerably.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

On 4/14/2024 at 7:20 PM, ProfD said:

Why it should ? It is not a ROMpler, Arturia VIs are modelled (VA or other technique) (with the exception of the new 'augmented' stuff).

I think an NI equivalent would be a ROMpler, and if playing all the Komplete stuff would be highly competitive with existing keyboards.

Arturia stuff is a lot more on synths and vintage keyboard emulation ; i love playing the Farfisa Compact, it have exactly the same 50Hz hum that had my

Compact when i was a teenager :).

Anyway, I cannot really wrap my brain around the idea: as a VA synth, is probably one of the most powerful ever produced; for exemple you got an ARP 2600, an EMS VCS3 and a Buchla Easel, and a Moog Modular emulation inside, do you know any other VA keyboard that is modular (Nord Modulars excluded) ?.

On other side, even if it is all this, is a  preset machine, fully programmable with your computer if you have a V Collection. So, full dive in the studio to prepare the performance. So, in some sense, the same use case of instruments like the MODX. A lot less fun :).

IMHO, giving the two point above, the one split point and the limited UI and controls make sens; anyway, you cannot use the UI to tweak the sounds in depth, so, the whole set seems at least coherent.

Anyway, this weekend there is a SynthFest in Nantes, in France, and Arturia will be there; i will be there the Saturday, and if they present the Astrolab I'll try to check it out, and I'll report :). Without any guarantee, send me your specific questions in PM, if possible i'll try to get an answer.

Maurizio

• Like 2

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

https://barbogio.bandcamp.com/follow_me

I think a lot of folks are evaluating it on the basis of what it isn't... a ROMpler. Assuming you already have the V-Collection, it seems like it could be a really good top keyboard in a 2 kbd rig for someone doing a pop gig. Or, pair it with something like a Nord Electro, and you've got a decent rig for a Pink Floyd tribute band. 

• Like 1

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

I would like to play one of these in a store sometime - the YouTube demos aren't really convincing me that it sounds all that special, but I have a few Arturia plugins and those sound pretty decent. I think playing one in person would be the only way I could get an accurate view of how good it actually is.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

8 hours ago, mauriziodececco said:

Why it should ? It is not a ROMpler, Arturia VIs are modelled (VA or other technique) (with the exception of the new 'augmented' stuff).

I think an NI equivalent would be a ROMpler, and if playing all the Komplete stuff would be highly competitive with existing keyboards.

5 hours ago, mcgoo said:

I think a lot of folks are evaluating it on the basis of what it isn't... a ROMpler.

My post in this thread was not to suggest that the Arturia Astrolab is a ROMpler.

Most cover band music does not require real-time synthesis or sound design. Experimental music is different. 

IMO, regardless of onboard sounds, features and functionality, most gigging musicians use their KBs as ROMplers i.e. preset sounds.

To that end, surely, the Astrolab could be a primary or secondary KB in a gig rig.

Considering the bulk of Astrolab soumd design/programming won't be done in real-time, it will essentially function as a preset machine...just like a ROMpler.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

From the user manual, interesting "For indoor use only"

🤣

Screenshot_20240419_121052.jpg

• Confused 1
  • Wow! 1
  • Haha 1

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Band Rig: PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

I want to like it, I really do but all I can see is that tiny screen and big empty space where drawbars and other controls could've been added. Looking forward to some real world reviews after people have been gigging with it a while. 

• Like 1

Jazz is the teacher, Funk is the preacher!

8 minutes ago, CrossRhodes said:

I want to like it, I really do but all I can see is that tiny screen and big empty space where drawbars and other controls could've been added. Looking forward to some real world reviews after people have been gigging with it a while. 

V2 - or if hot for the patches.  Arturia controller and the software.  

But don’t under estimate Bert’s ability to sell a synth.  🤣

"So get your hands on this amazing performance keyboard, Astrolab" - as I leave you with the vocoder!  

• Haha 1

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

A bit of aside on the whole "how many splits is enough"...definitely something I've wrestled with.

With older keyboards--those without a song mode or scenes or patch holdover (hold the previous patch as long as you hold the keys)--I felt more compelled to program splits.   I don't play a ton of songs that require it, in one band there were more of them--the "worst" example I can recall being Relax (Don't Do It!) :D   There's like a billion sounds in that thing.  I had four zones on my Motif and iirc four also on my Virus b.   What a nightmare remembering where those split points were and it was a real struggle since both of those were 61.

After using keyboards with more of those features I mentioned, I really see those as more important than splits.  My nord stage 3 can switch between the patches in song mode using a footswitch if I like, so *click* and my hands are right there for the chorus patch parts...and with that patch holdover there's no abrupt cutoff.   E.g. for Comfortably numb I have verse, chorus and outro patches strung together in song mode.  (To be fair for that song I could also  use the panels or realtime controls, 3 patches is a bit overkill, but then I re-use a couple of these for other songs.)

Not sure what this has in that regard, but I could certainly make two zones work if it had features like that.  Without them, it would be relegated to 2nd keyboard at best I think.

The more I look at this thing the more I can't believe they went to production with that screen.  Holy form over function batman.

1 hour ago, CrossRhodes said:

My change in direction (age catching up with me) to recording focus doing Beats and simple songs I was interested in the Astrolab but same hesitations as you especially for Beats.    So was thinking maybe controller and library, but now digging down more into the Akai MPC Key 37 or 61 I seeing that is what that will fit my needs best connecting to my laptop and Ableton.   I think the AstroLab next generation probably will bring the missing features and a larger screen.   They might of been better to make the AstroLad a module to run from controller.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jose EB5AGV said:

Bert can make an 80s low end Casiotone sound like a top-notch workstation, that is not fair 😅

HAH! Very true, to my benefit, in this case. I appreciate the added clarity about setting up a playlist, for example. I'm idly wishing I was in the market for a serious 61-noter, because this bridges a couple of gaps for me. Its not that much different from my usual controller/DAW form, but I'd take the nice keybed and the macros gladly.

• Like 1

As an adolescent I aspired to lasting fame, I craved factual certainty
 and I thirsted for a meaningful vision of human life- so I became a scientist.

This is like becoming an archbishop so you can meet girls.
      ~ Matt Cartmill

Arriving in the UK this week, and cheaper than I thought..

Screenshot_20240421_224115_Facebook.jpg

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

I just want Bert Smorenberg to do a 40 minute video on the Montage M8x…

• Like 1

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2

As i said in the dedicated thread, i visited the SynthFest France on Saturday. Arturia was there, with three Astrolab, i played a bit with one of them,

and got a private and later a public demo/presentation.

I resume what i heard/view in the following, trying to avoid to add my personal bias :). Just a bullet point description.

The Astrolab is a version of Analog Lab in hardware. It is not a version of V Collection. Analog Lab is a preset based player of the sounds that V Colllection can generate.

Their idea is to provide a way to bring Analog Lab on stage without a laptop. So, 4 macro controls, and 4 effect knobs, what you get in Analog Lab. And a large collection of presets. 

It is not a stage piano, piano plugin are included as a way to tweak and modify piano sounds, not to compete with a stage piano; they expect the Astrolab to be used as a second (upper ?) keyboard in most of the cases.

Important point: the intend to keep Astrolab in sync with the new versions of V Collection/Analog Lab. As of today there are three instruments missing, but they will be added with an update this summer. Later, they will add the new V Collection instruments in future updates.

Run on an ARM with a Linux kernel.

The keyboard have bluetooth and wifi; it will be possible to load sounds on the fly using a mobile phone App connected to the keyboard by wifi.

You can export/import a complete setup to an USB key. (to bring it to a backstage machine, for exemple).

The audio input is routed to the plugins input: it is advertised for the vocoder, but actually it works for all the plugins that have an audio input; they tried with the MS-20 and they could use it as a mono guitar synth. Routing the audio to the effects/output is considered for future updates (if i understood correctly).

Effects can be edited in detail using a menu tree. Some plugin (like the Farfisa, for exemple) may include effects in their structure; the effects on the front panel are added to those of the plugins. 

Loading time for the sounds (i think the subject have been already discussed here ?): modelled sounds are loaded quickly, without delay. But sounds based on samples (i.e. those of the Augmented family of plugins) take some time; they talked about 1 second.

Sound navigation: various mecanisms, starting from user soundbanks, bookmarks to preferred sounds, and playlists.

You have a row of category buttons to help searching sounds.

Playlist have three levels (Projet - Song - Sound); and the category buttons become fast access buttons to the first ten sound of a song.

Other sounds can be accessed using the wheel or the arrow buttons.

As already remarked, no global random access to sounds.

Splits: on a any key, using a color code for the by-key LEDs.

Final, personal impressions: nothing to say about the sound, they are those of the Arturia Plugin, and they technical quality is great.

Keybed; i was standing up at the wrong angle, but the keybed was good, i got the impression it was a little lighter than my  NE6D 61 keybed, but a lot better than the MODX7.

User interface: personally, i found it great: consistent and compatible with the philosophy of the keyboard. Screen is not too small, for menu navigation is surely better than what you have on the NE for exemple; so, for what they keyboard actually does, the UI is adequate and intuitive. The wheel is complemented by arrows buttons.

Hope this helps,

Maurizio

IMG_4914.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

https://barbogio.bandcamp.com/follow_me

Hi Maurizio --

Thank you for your detailed comments! They are encouraging enough that I will drag my broken bones to a brick-and-mortar store somewhere to try one.

Astrolab and I aren't 100% ready for each other until Arturia adds the Augmented Woodwinds and Brass. I really need them. The one second voice switch time is concerning -- I hope Arturia finds a way to speed that up.

Thanks, again -- pj

"one second switch time"....is that for real?   That's a non-starter for any live keyboard I'd ever use.  Heck at this point I'm so used to seamless transitions those are a requirement for anything new I buy.

Knowing this is analog lab in a keyboard makes a bit more sense...as far as screen size, it depends on what's going to be on it.  There's very little that actually goes onto the Nord screens.  My Modx screen is way bigger but some of the things on it can be a bit hard to see because they are jamming a lot on each one.   

I still think the lack of controls is baffling if this is intended to be a live instrument.

I do like the white and wood/metal look though, I'll end on a nice note!  :) 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stokely said:

I still think the lack of controls is baffling if this is intended to be a live instrument.

I believe the expectation is that all heavy-lifting sound design and setup work will be done in advance.

That way, only minimal controls will be necessary for real-time sound tweaks during a live performance. 

I hope here is a favorites bank or button to access sounds quickly. 

Especially considering the one second delay versus seamless switching.😎

PD

17 minutes ago, Stokely said:

"one second switch time"....is that for real?   That's a non-starter for any live keyboard I'd ever use.  Heck at this point I'm so used to seamless transitions those are a requirement for anything new I buy.

FWIW, it still has the seamless switching, it's not like there's one second of silence. Rather, the new sound you select won't be available  to play until a second* after you select it. You can still be holding your previous sound during the transition, and held notes of the old sound will continue to sound even after the new sound loads, just as you'd expect from seamless switching boards.

* - But it's not necessarily a second. As maurizio said (and demonstrated in the video I referred to earlier), lots of sounds are instantaneous, but ones that load samples vary... and some can even be well more than a second (again, as you can see in the video).