Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Arturia Astrolab

10 hours ago, niacin said:

Reminds me of GSI's Gemini: 2 timbres, do your editing on the software.  With a keyboard attached, but no poly aftertouch is disappointing given it's become a thing again just lately, and I'm not a fan of wheels above the keyboard on a 61.  I think you'd have to be already heavily invested in Arturia's software for it to be attractive.  

My first thought too.  I like doing my editing on the PC or a tablet for my Gemini, then saving on the hardware to take to the gig.  Also reminds me of what Nord did with the Micro-Modular 20+ years ago.  

2 hours ago, J.F.N. said:

the packaging here with AstroLab feels like a total hit and miss for their intended target group.

I can see this as a great noodling machine for a home studio and for inspiration when composing or when starting to sketch on an arrangement for a pop song, but that's it!

This!  A stage keyboard that has all the controls on the right has me scratching my head.  My first thought was...great for the 1 finger noodlers at home, but reaching across the keyboard to adjust parameters while playing with your right hand is just not ideal.  Same with with display.  VERY cool, but for live playing, there seems to be many layers of navigation and it is small for stage use, where you ideally need to be able to see where you are with only a quick glance.  

Pros - I love the wood looking end caps that wrap around the back.  Soundwise, I really like the quality and breadth of sounds Arturia has.

1 hour ago, CyberGene said:

Has anyone of the YT reviewers checked how fast you can switch between the presets, especially when they are based on different synth models? My impression with the Analog Lab on my pretty fast Apple Silicon Mac is there’s still awkward lag. I wouldn’t want to scroll through thousands of presets if that’s slow. And hopefully there are no audible artifacts when doing so, because that’s often the case with FX chain. I guess it would be optimistic to expect so, but any chance of seamless transitions? Like e.g. keeping a chord held from current preset while changing to a new performance or whatever it’s called. 

This was addressed (at least somewhat) at 5:56 in the video below. In terms of seamless transition, it seems like it can sustain one sound through changing to the next, BUT the availability of the sound you want to switch to is not necessarily instantaneous.

I wish he had better demonstrated holding a sound through a transition. He shows this by switching from one piano sound to another. It would be more clear if he were switching from a sustaining rather than fading sound, and to some other sound of completely different character instead of a similar one. I don't know whether any other video might do a better job at demonstrating this, I haven't watched most of them.

The fact that you may have to wait for a sound is something I alluded to earlier as being a real issue for me. (I think Akai MPC Key is similar.) I guess you work around it by working out the needed sound changes for particular songs in advance, using patches you know will work as you need them to, but that may not work so well for players who are used to being able to just grab things on the fly as desired.

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The world needs more FPGA based hardware synths, where tons of stuff going on at the same time is not a problem!

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Band Rig: PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

I just talked with my guy at Sweetwater.    It is a popular item.

I ordered one.

Based on my several years of experience with Keylab especially the MK2 61, there is no reason to worry about build quality.     Based on the dimensions and published weight, I'm sure this will be just as robust.  

"So why get one if you have the Keylab?"

Fair question.

"Options"

I own all the Arturia synths since forever.

Some shows I do absolutely make the computer setup a PITA.

I'm always a 2 keys rig.  88 and 61

Also, the ability to do all my setup of sounds on the computer, then transfer them into Astrolab is a really neat feature.

I envision using this on the "throw and go" municipal gigs above my PX-5S.   These show we are not running click to sync with our video show, and don't need all manner of audio outputs for various things.

I read an earlier comment here making fun of this being called a "stage" keyboard since it's only 61 keys.   What?   My Fantom 06 and MODX 6+ might have something to say.

Will the Astrolab be for everyone?  Of course not.   That's okay.  For me, it checks boxes for the specific uses I would use it for.   As do ALL of my various keyboards.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

40 minutes ago, 16251 said:

Just thinking out loud...  How about a music rest that is a LED touch screen. It could give you controls and/or it can hold music when needed.

Also thinking out loud 😅... You could use one or two iPads on a regular music rest. This is one of my planned rigs: a Korg B2 connected by USB (MIDI and audio) to one of them, which would have AUM along Korg Module and some other VSTs, and the other one with ForScore on it. And, in case some paper is needed, you could put it over the iPads. BTW, I am talking of cheap ones (mine are both Air 2) but you can use any model which fits your needs

This is ALMOST cool.  If it had a large screen it would be comparable to the original Korg OASYS prototype shown at NAMM many years ago.  That prototype had software instruments and could be updated with more.  Of course by the time the OASYS appeared on the market it had nothing more than some fixed sound engines.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 16251 said:

Just thinking out loud...  How about a music rest that is a LED touch screen. It could give you controls and/or it can hold music when needed.

Running on Android, so you could watch YouTube when bored... 🤣

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Band Rig: PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

6 hours ago, EscapeRocks said:

Also, the ability to do all my setup of sounds on the computer, then transfer them into Astrolab is a really neat feature.

I envision using this on the "throw and go" municipal gigs above my PX-5S.   These show we are not running click to sync with our video show, and don't need all manner of audio outputs for various things.

... Will the Astrolab be for everyone?  Of course not.   That's okay.  For me, it checks boxes for the specific uses I would use it for.   As do ALL of my various keyboards.

There you go: one of Arturia's target players speaks. They're not a tiny startup; they have a potent customer base. The Astrolab isn't just some weekend quirk breadboarded together. They clearly burned the midnight oil and came up with an elegant hybrid. It provides for both more seasoned customers AND preset players who just want to mod the filter once in a while. The former could easily put it above a DP or clonewheel with their punchy personal sounds on display. The second will have a library of merit that they can tweak with minimal sweat.

I'm curious to hear what early adopters will have to say 90 days in, because its not a normal stage piano. Its an interesting bridge between computer-based rigs and full-blown workstations. Woody's comment on the dubious fulcrum point for the keys is sobering, depending on your playing style, so its not a holy grail. Still, I don't think its making a shameful start. It just has a few oddities going, like every other e-music device has had since Charles Addams's first Battery Actuated Multiple Mouse Organ, the BAMMO. It failed because it burned out mice too quickly and people ran from the hall at the stench when it was played. :facepalm:  

Final thought: every company has a unique, subtle TONE across their ranges. If I'd already leaned into Arturia's, I'd be on this as an inspired addition.

• Like 2

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

8 hours ago, EscapeRocks said:

I ordered one.

Based on my several years of experience with Keylab especially the MK2 61, there is no reason to worry about build quality.     Based on the dimensions and published weight, I'm sure this will be just as robust.  

Fair question.

"Options"

I read an earlier comment here making fun of this being called a "stage" keyboard since it's only 61 keys.   What?   My Fantom 06 and MODX 6+ might have something to say.

Will the Astrolab be for everyone?  Of course not.   That's okay.  For me, it checks boxes for the specific uses I would use it for.   As do ALL of my various keyboards.

You’ll have to let us know if this lets you ditch the laptop and MainStage for the journey set.   Off the top of your head, what sounds are you thinking Analog Lab would nail?  

• Like 1

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Wall wart is an automatic fail, especially at that price point.

• Like 1

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

1 hour ago, ElmerJFudd said:

You’ll have to let us know if this lets you ditch the laptop and MainStage for the journey set.   Off the top of your head, what sounds are you thinking Analog Lab would nail?  

I already use Arturia Jup 8, Prophet V, DX7, in my Mainstage Rig.

I use PianoTeq 8 Pro for pianos.

Shows in which I would use the AstroLab would use my PX5S for the piano and EP based sounds

The AstroLab would provide the synth sounds.

As I said, this is for unique situations.

For actual shows where we sync lights and video, etc..  My usual Mainstage rig will still be in use.

In fact I just got my new Mackie DL16S digital mixer to make it easy to use my Fantom 08, as my 88 board, as well as route various sub outs as needed.

I can't ever imagine ditching Mainstage for the big rig gigs.

The other thing about the Astrolab:  I'm a gadget freak.  I love getting these things and seeing what I can do to shape them towards what I want.

• Like 6

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

I get the attraction of wanting to load your patches directly onto a keyboard for live gigs. I would much prefer this to using a laptop or tablet. 

The problems with astrolab I have are

- only 8 /40 note polyphony

- just two parts

- absence of controls/faders 

- no set list management 

- delays loading patches 

Compared to what a Fantom 0 offers - at cheaper cost - this is a very weak product. 

No thanks. 

• Like 2

Interesting observation about the angle of the black keys.  I suppose it's tough to rate feel from a pic, but I can see where a pivot so close to the back of the key might not feel great - especially if you are playing something like a funky clav in Eb.

1 hour ago, Ibarch said:

- delays loading patches 

Are you sure about this?

I did not see something like like this in the demos, the patches changed instantly...

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

1 hour ago, Ibarch said:

Compared to what a Fantom 0 offers - at cheaper cost - this is a very weak product. 

Fantom-0 beats it in overall flexibility (e.g. 16 zones), patch navigation, on-board editing, real-time controls, etc. --- but I think the appeal of "VSTs in a self-contained board" is largely the sounds. And if I were going to pick a single area where Roland often lags even its hardware competition, it's in the actual sounds. So I think the appeal of this box really depends on your interest in the Arturia sounds. And, related, the ability to work with all those Arturia VSTs, and use the box as a self-contained live player for your favorites. It may be a niche, but it's theirs.

Another way of looking at it... I think it's not competing with Fantom-0/MODX+/Nautilus/PC4 as much as it will be looked at by those who are considering a different kind of board like MPC Keys or NI Kontrol S, though each of these are really their own unique thing in their own way. 

14 minutes ago, UnderGroundGr said:

Are you sure about this?

I did not see something like like this in the demos, the patches changed instantly...

See my post at https://forums.musicplayer.com/topic/188687-arturia-astrolab/page/3/#comment-2995951 and watch the video from 5:56 all the way to 6:50. The delay from when you invoke a patch until you can play it varies quite a bit, and can sometimes be somewhat lengthy.

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

30 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

Fantom-0 beats it in overall flexibility (e.g. 16 zones), patch navigation, on-board editing, real-time controls, etc. --- but I think the appeal of "VSTs in a self-contained board" is largely the sounds. And if I were going to pick a single area where Roland often lags even its hardware competition, it's in the actual sounds. So I think the appeal of this box really depends on your interest in the Arturia sounds. And, related, the ability to work with all those Arturia VSTs, and use the box as a self-contained live player for your favorites. It may be a niche, but it's theirs.

Another way of looking at it... I think it's not competing with Fantom-0/MODX+/Nautilus/PC4 as much as it will be looked at by those who are considering a different kind of board like MPC Keys or NI Kontrol S, though each of these are really their own unique thing in their own way. 

See my post at https://forums.musicplayer.com/topic/188687-arturia-astrolab/page/3/#comment-2995951 and watch the video from 5:56 all the way to 6:50. The delay from when you invoke a patch until you can play it varies quite a bit, and can sometimes be somewhat lengthy.

Sounds they have, a very successful line of software instruments that covers a wide pallet, at least a few of which are preferable to what we get on similarly priced trickle downs from flagship workstations.  What they don’t have is years of experience in hardware user interface, high poly count on limited hardware, a proprietary sample compression scheme like AWM2 or Supernatural, seamless patch switching, DAW or MainStage integration, top tier action design, things like that. 

If I had keys I liked and wanted Arturia sounds I’d get them for macOS and run them in MainStage.   If I already had the Arturia plugins and didn’t have keys but wanted to play them a round  and a bout just as they sounded at home - yeah, ok.  I’d grab this and leave the laptop at home.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

If I had keys I liked and wanted Arturia sounds I’d get them for macOS and run them in MainStage.  

That is my approach, but using Gig Performer instead (and Windows, as I don't have a MacBook)

All in all I hope the Astrolab project is a successful one and, in few years, we can see it evolve 👍🏻

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jose EB5AGV said:

That is my approach, but using Gig Performer instead (and Windows, as I don't have a MacBook)

All in all I hope the Astrolab project is a successful one and, in few years, we can see it evolve 👍🏻

👍 As a v1 product it’s interesting to see how this evolves.  It seems software developers are interested in selling hardware.  In fact, they may need to as Roland, Yamaha, Korg, etc. get serious about software instruments.  

• Like 1

I am a very dedicated Arturia Analog Lab (and Collection V, by extension) user, I even use it for rehearsals with our amateur band, so I could be a perfect target audience for it. But sleeping over the idea a few days and I feel more and more lukewarm about it. I don’t think it will make it faster or easier for me to use the great presets, compared to my current setup of a single keyboard (Numa X 73 or KC61) and a MacBook Air M2. Just being able to browse the patches through the great Analog Lab UI on the computer actually makes it easier for me compared to what seems like a small circular display and a knob. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CyberGene said:

I am a very dedicated Arturia Analog Lab (and Collection V, by extension) user, I even use it for rehearsals with our amateur band, so I could be a perfect target audience for it. But sleeping over the idea a few days and I feel more and more lukewarm about it. I don’t think it will make it faster or easier for me to use the great presets, compared to my current setup of a single keyboard (Numa X 73 or KC61) and a MacBook Air M2. Just being able to browse the patches through the great Analog Lab UI on the computer actually makes it easier for me compared to what seems like a small circular display and a knob. 

Yes, by making Analog Lab so usable, they have put the bar too high to compete with a tiny round display. I guess MK2 will solve that 

Having the option to work with your instruments both on a computer and in a dedicated keyboard is a great place to be. 

It is already possible in Roland's world, with the ability to use the Zenology Pro synth and various model expansions such as a jupiter 8 both on a computer and in zen core powered hardware such as the Fantoms. Couple this with built in audio interfaces and integration to DAWs and it is very powerful centre piece to a home studio and for gigging too. I love having the choice to work any way I feel. It also makes the best of both worlds to have a laptop that can plug in to any controller or a dedicated keyboard, as the need arises. Roland's implementation is far from perfect but it goes a good way to show the potential of what can be done. 

It's great to see Arturia starting to follow the same ideas. However the Astrolab is only scratching at the surface of what can be done. It's hugely restricted in features and priced at a premium. With all their years of experience in midi controllers I would have at least expected a keyboard that would cover the basics. Instead it feels like the Midi controller department have placed an embargo on controller tech to prevent the slightest hint that Astrolab may replace them. The virtual instruments team have put a similar embargo in place to avoid the chances of editing anything outside of their VSTs less they lose control of the user journey. 

TLDR 

It's a great idea but a seriously dissatisfying first  implementation. 

• Like 1

That demo ups my appreciation for the instrument by several notches. You could outdo the pianos with a couple of the higher-end VSTs, but otherwise, they're impressive. Synths and organs are fairly easy to construct, but pianos/EPs are the acid test of engine quality. This one has casuals and cover bands written all over it, with a few brave souls who will add the giant fantasy patches they've built in Pigments.

• Like 1

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

17 minutes ago, David Emm said:

That demo ups my appreciation for the instrument by several notches. You could outdo the pianos with a couple of the higher-end VSTs, but otherwise, they're impressive. Synths and organs are fairly easy to construct, but pianos/EPs are the acid test of engine quality. This one has casuals and cover bands written all over it, with a few brave souls who will add the giant fantasy patches they've built in Pigments.

Significant improvements to that acoustic piano engine from when I played it on first release.  👍

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Significant improvements to that acoustic piano engine from when I played it on first release.  👍

That's nice to hear. I've been working with Arturia for a couple of years now, on the revisions of the acoustic piano, Rhodes, Wurly, and the new CP70. My friend Jonathan Leonard works on the models with my input, and then a larger team develops presets when we've gotten the model(s) as good as we can. I know we feel we upped the quality a lot from the original versions, but it's nice to hear some affirmation from others.

:thx:

Jerry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, jerrythek said:

That's nice to hear. I've been working with Arturia for a couple of years now, on the revisions of the acoustic piano, Rhodes, Wurly, and the new CP70. My friend Jonathan Leonard works on the models with my input, and then a larger team develops presets when we've gotten the model(s) as good as we can. I know we feel we upped the quality a lot from the original versions, but it's nice to hear some affirmation from others.

:thx:

Jerry

As a piano VST hoarder 😅, with lots of them to compare, I have also found the evolution of Piano V to be excellent and I plan to extensively use it on my laptop based setup, as licensing is lots better than Pianoteq system. Kudos for the updates and your work on them 👍🏻

• Like 1

On 4/10/2024 at 8:18 AM, EscapeRocks said:

I ordered one.

Fair question.

"Options"

This is not a stage keyboard given the overall limited sound quality, control , and keybed

I own the MK2 as well and, like this, this is still a controller.

I would urge those interested to pause as I'm sure a more capable, powerful version is coming sooner than you think.

A small laptop and controller will deliver far better and far more sounds vs this.

Lastly, I have Arturia products and like the company. Just that this one is pretty forgettable right now.

24 minutes ago, JoJoB3 said:

This is not a stage keyboard given the overall limited sound quality, control , and keybed

I own the MK2 as well and, like this, this is still a controller.

I would urge those interested to pause as I'm sure a more capable, powerful version is coming sooner than you think.

A small laptop and controller will deliver far better and far more sounds vs this.

Lastly, I have Arturia products and like the company. Just that this one is pretty forgettable right now.

Have to agree. Love their software, and they make some solid controllers. I think reception will be like warm for this and criticisms of the poly limits, missing poly AT, small screen, lack of controls and one split layer as well as others will either see this as something they just leave on the shelf in the future or update fairly quickly. I have to wonder who their focus groups were that never highlighted these limitations. I don’t know how many of those operating limits could be updated on the board itself, but the hardware limitations (and cost) mean I have just passed this off as something I won’t own, even if it was sub £1k with full software.

If its USP is simply loading in same sounds from the DAW software to take onstage, there are better and more affordable options IMO.

• Like 3

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5