Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Arturia Astrolab

1 minute ago, Paul Woodward said:

Hmmm, that dial/screen is tiny

Yes, exactly my thoughts!. What a pity, so much space available. And a round display is. IMO, a no-no. I only like it on watches and my old Amazon Echo 😁

• Like 1

I was waiting for something similar to Akai Mpc Keys 61, a full blown synthesizer minus the DAW capabilities of Akai.

I was waiting for a keyboard with Arturia V collection and Fx collection...

So, I will be waiting for Keylab MK3 with poly aftertouch...

• Like 3

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

1600 euros with that tiny interface, just one split or layer, no poly aftertouch. That's a hard sell to anyone who isn't fully invested into the Arturia ecosystem. I have Pigment which I got for £50 and Analog Lab paired with a Korg Keystage. If you don't gig, can't see the benefits here and, even if you do, a MacBook and controller is a more flexible and much cheaper option.

Feels very 'old' in specs despite all the cutting edge hyperbole..and was that the worst green screen video since the 70's?

• Like 3

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

So any patch you create in the studio with AstroLab is drag and drop to this hardware keyboard which has the engine.  No laptop needed on the gig. 

This is an interesting approach.  NI Is probably wondering why they chose to go with controllers and laptop rather than build an MPC Keys. 

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

The question is... would it include the license for all desktop instruments on that price?. Because if you don't have them, that is a good value to take into account. Not in my case as I have V Collection 9, Pigments and some other Arturia things...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Stefan011 said:

I would definitely take it as a second board. It can cover a lot of ground. The price though...

The price is quite good compared to say another mirrored studio/hardware solution like say, Montage M w/ E.S.P.  But obviously this board is not going to be of the same build quality.  

• Like 1

Well, I guess I'm keeping my NI Kontrol S61 MK3 for a while. AstroLab has no polyAT and I assume not a Fatar keybed, and has only a tiny, fidgety display/control.

The NI S61 MK3 has a beautifully large color display, eight touch-sensitive knobs, plus it has a powerful built-in processor that NI plans to use to expand its capabilities with future updates, and is already MIDI 2.0 capable.  The other thing I don't like about the AstroLab is it's even bulkier and heavier than the already large NI S61 MK3. List price is $1,999, I see it on B&H for $1,599. Too much money for what it is.

54 minutes ago, CyberGene said:

So, AstroLab is a great keyboard! But I really ROFL-ed when they started it with that crappy modeled piano that sounded like a cymbalom 🤣🤦🏻‍♂️

Moddart and Roland have nothing to fear from Arturia when it comes to modeled acoustic pianos.  

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Ed A. said:

I read somewhere that Arturia Piano V3 is actually based on earlier Modartt code used in Pianoteq.

Arturia may have licensed it from Modartt.

Idk 🤷‍♂️ but it has yet to sound great compared to samples or Pianoteq or V-Piano.  

11 hours ago, Jose EB5AGV said:

The question is... would it include the license for all desktop instruments on that price?

No. At least based on the video I watched, if you want to do more than very minimal sound editing, you need to buy the licenses so you can create/edit sounds on your computer. Without buying the licenses, it's basically a preset player.

As a premium-priced preset machine, I would look for better on-board patch navigation/selection, and i wouldn't want to have to worry about delays when moving from one patch to another.

If you do want to edit/create sounds so you're going to buy the software versions regardless, I'm not sure what this gives you that couldn't be done better by running the software on a tablet inside a host attached to the controller of your choice. For example, I think running the Arturia software inside Gig Performer on a Surface Pro would give you better split/layer capabilities, better ability to switch sounds without delays, and of course, the ability to integrate non-Arturia sounds where Arturia's may not be your software sounds of choice. Use the Korg Keystage controller, and you even get poly AT.

I know there's a contingent who just wishes they could run high quality VST sounds in a self-contained portable board, and I guess, to the extent that Arturia VSTs suffice or are what you really care about, this can scratch that itch.

BTW, I don't speak Spanish, but that last video in the OP seems to be suggesting this could be a Nord alternative?? Nord's strengths include lots of real-time controls, full on-board editing, integration of your own custom samples, high quality piano and drawbar organ... the strengths of these environments seem almost like polar opposites. Except that both of them could do with better patch navigation. 😉

• Like 4

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

17 minutes ago, Ed A. said:

I read somewhere that Arturia Piano V3 is actually based on earlier Modartt code used in Pianoteq.

Arturia may have licensed it from Modartt.

I have both. The good thing about Arturia Piano V3 is that the license allows more installations than Pianoteq and, if you remove it, that computer can host it agan in the future. Pianoteq is very picky on that and you won't be allowed to install it again on it. That is plainly mad IMO

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

No. At least based on the video I watched, if you want to do more than very minimal sound editing, you need to buy the licenses so you can create/edit sounds on your computer. Without buying the licenses, it's basically a preset player.

As a premium-priced preset machine, I would look for better on-board patch navigation/selection, and i wouldn't want to have to worry about delays when moving from one patch to another.

If you do want to edit/create sounds so you're going to buy the software versions regardless, I'm not sure what this gives you that couldn't be done better by running the software on a tablet inside a host attached to the controller of your choice. For example, I think running the Arturia software inside Gig Performer on a Surface Pro would give you better split/layer capabilities, better ability to switch sounds without delays, and of course, the ability to integrate non-Arturia sounds where Arturia's may not be your software sounds of choice. Use the Korg Keystage controller, and you even get poly AT.

I know there's a contingent who just wishes they could run high quality VST sounds in a self-contained portable board, and I guess, to the extent that Arturia VSTs are all you care about, this can scratch that itch.

BTW, I don't speak Spanish, but that last video in the OP seems to be suggesting this could be a Nord alternative?? Nord's strengths include lots of real-time controls, full on-board editing, integration of your own custom samples, high quality piano and drawbar organ... the strengths of these environments seem almost like polar opposites. Except that both of them could do with better patch navigation. 😉

Yes, I had just seen the same on Jeff's video... Well, that detracts a lot of "extra value" as what you get is the same you get with any other Arturia controller, in that case (i.e. Analog Lab Pro)

So, again, I find my real V Collection along Gig Performer and a controller is, for me, lots better (and cheaper) solution, as it can also integrate on the rig any other VST I own.

About the Spanish language video... perhaps it was kind of click-bait 🤣

Jose

• Like 1

Round screen is bizarre, but overall I like how it looks...I like white/cream keyboards.

Sliders would have been nice, the one plus for that blank spot is a place to put a device like a mixer, or ipad for lyrics/mixing apps :) 

I'm still a person who has no desire to bring out a laptop--and I'm 100% invested in software at home.   It's more about the logistics of where to put a laptop, and a bit of not trusting it (or an ipad) for primary sound generation.  So I do have *some* interest for something like this.

I have a lot of synths but nothing by Arturia, that dampens my enthusiasm a lot as I'm not invested already.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Jose EB5AGV said:

The question is... would it include the license for all desktop instruments on that price?. Because if you don't have them, that is a good value to take into account. Not in my case as I have V Collection 9, Pigments and some other Arturia things...

Looking at the product page, seems you get Analog Lab,but the others look to be additional purchases. I find the Arturia product pages favour promo over specs.

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

What's the deal with the round display? Weird. I like the concept a lot though - this thing could be perfect if you do a lot of in-the-box production with Arturia stuff and want a solid option to bring on stage for your patches without messing with laptops and such. I would have liked sliders since the B3 engine is in there though! Nice to see there are 4 pedal inputs and a vocoder though!

• Like 1

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

A tiny keyhole window, no numeric keypad for selecting patches, and very odd design with the parameter buttons and knobs on the right side of the top plate?

Not designed for live work clearly.

• Like 2

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Band Rig: PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

2 minutes ago, mate stubb said:

Clearly some of us haven't seen the Nest thermostat. It's the exact same hardware.

I think Nest is a bit bigger 😉

download.webp

• Haha 1

I was looking for some specs on polyphony - found this on the Synth Anatomy site.

"To avoid audio dropouts, the polyphony is limited per part to 8 voices for the synths and 48 voices for pianos/organs."

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

7 minutes ago, Mighty Motif Max said:

To avoid audio dropouts, the polyphony is limited per part to 8 voices for the synths and 48 voices for pianos/organs

So, you can’t layer a piano and pad and use the sustain pedal. Seems people will keep using romplers for live playing then.