Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard recommendations for someone who wants to play heavy metal.

Hi!

I’m an amateur guitarist who wants to buy a keyboard to play, basically, progressive metal. I like a more technical and agressive -- shred -- keyboard style, which resembles the sound of guitars (let me be crystal clear: I want to play keyboard because, basically, I’m too lazy and cheap to replace the strings of my guitar every other week)

I’m gonna give you a few examples of the kind of timbres I want to play:

(the solo which starts at 2:14)

(the solo which starts at 9:59)

(the one which starts at 6:46)

(the one from the beginning)

(the one which starts at 0:44 and the one at 8:39)

(the one at 4:39)

(the main riff)

(the main riff)

---

Could someone recommend me some models? I’m an absolute beginner, but it’s obvious I want to go beyond basics.

One more thing: are there substantial diferences between a 61-key instrument and a 88-key one in order to play what I want to play?

Thanks.

13 minutes ago, CyberGene said:

The two big progressive metal keyboard shredders I know, Derek Sherinian and Jordan Rudess, both use Korg keyboards, I think Triton and Kronos. 

Derek hasn't been using the Korg Triton for a long time now. He keeps changing up, but I know he has a John Bowen Solaris amongst many others. He has sent me videos of his newest project, but told me that some of the gear in the video is staged, so it's hard to know for sure.

• Like 2

Lessons and a synth with a good action.  A used Triton would be cool.  

Fast crisp actions.  Even a DX7.  Lots of stuff will do.  

• Like 1

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

The Korg Nautilus is a favorite for Symphonic Metal. Synthonia sells Nautilus sound packs optimized for metal. 

https://www.synthonia.com/marketplace/korg-nautilus-series-nightwish-cover-pack-detail

• Like 1

Gibson G101, Fender Rhodes Piano Bass, Vox Continental, RMI Electra-Piano and Harpsichord 300A, Hammond M102A, Hohner Combo Pianet, OB8, Matrix 12, Jupiter 6, Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, CS70M, CP35, PX-5S, WK-3800, Stage 3 Compact

1 hour ago, jerrythek said:

Derek hasn't been using the Korg Triton for a long time now. He keeps changing up, but I know he has a John Bowen Solaris amongst many others. He has sent me videos of his newest project, but told me that some of the gear in the video is staged, so it's hard to know for sure.

A Bowen Solaris is NOT recommended for a beginner, that synth is a bazillion dollars.

Not sure why you guys are recommending vintage keyboards like a DX7 and a Triton to a beginner.

On the other hand, the Nautilus makes sense!

5 minutes ago, Franz Schiller said:

A Bowen Solaris is NOT recommended for a beginner, that synth is a bazillion dollars.

Not sure why you guys are recommending vintage keyboards like a DX7 and a Triton to a beginner.

The OP says he is an absolute beginner, yet he's reaching for astounding chops like Derek Sherninian's. I think there's a cognitive disconnect going on! You won't get there overnight, for sure. We longer-term players know that you have to build up some callouses. He probably knows that from being a guitarist.:rocker:

A Nautilus seems sensible enough, assuming you're ready to drop good $ for an instrument that will grow with you. Also, if you want to play "aggressively," you'll eventually learn the lesson of synth blowouts and costly repair woes. A Nord seems a bit tougher overall, as Derek is not a shy, retiring player. The overall sound quality of things is excellent these days, so its worth buying a mid-line instrument on which to learn the ropes. Roland makes tough gear, so look into the Fantom line, too. If you're that new, you need some knobs n' sliders so you can learn signal flow. Nords aren't cheap, but they're good to learn on and their library is immense. You can build a more "ideal" instrument that way.

I advise against a Yamaha to start with. You may want to add one some day because of the great sound & builds, but their convoluted OS designs will leave you with a bad taste as a newbie. Start elsewhere and build up to them.    

Do NOT fall prey to vintage nostalgia. An older instrument will just bite you in the arse sooner. Almost any synth can be programmed into semi-symphonic shape.

Try a few things out if there is a store nearby, although that's become difficult outside larger cities. Above all, read and learn the lingo. Your very first synth probably won't be ideal, but the field is pretty good. When/if you decide to upgrade, it could easily stay with you as a worthwhile member of your rig. Good luck!

"Well, the 60s were fun, but now I'm payin' for it."
        ~ Stan Lee, "Ant-Man and the Wasp"

Korg is the way to go, by far. The Nautilus is your best bet for a current product. I say that as a Yamaha/Roland/Hammond user who’s saving up for a Nord - I just don’t have those types of gigs, but I like the music.

In the past, I also have done the vintage Korg stuff for the sake of emulating some the older Nightwish patches and such (the N-series Korgs from the ‘90s), but I would strongly suggest sticking with a current keyboard. If you really decide you want some of those older patches, you can get older rack modules (like the X5DR) that will get you there without dealing with a full keyboard that’s probably getting a bit old to gig with (that type of gear stays in the studio for me).

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

My Vintage suggestion wasn’t about nostalgia.  It’s basis was getting something decent for $400-600.   Most important thing is to start learning fundamental technique. 

• Like 5

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

5 hours ago, Franz Schiller said:

I wasn't weighing in on a choice, I was correcting the info about Derek as I know it.

10 hours ago, jerrythek said:

He still uses a Nord Lead (2?) for a lot of his signature shred solos. 

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

15 hours ago, El Cid said:

I’m an absolute beginner

I can't support those who are recommending dropping a four-figure sum on a keyboard for a beginner. (EDIT: I see @Franz Schiller has made the same point).

If you have a Mac, buy MainStage and a second-hand 61-key controller.  If not, look for something with pitch/mod controllers, virtual-analog(ue) and a mono/portamento mode - that will get you in the ballpark for some of those sounds you referenced in your videos. I'm not an expert in this sector, so I'll let others chime in with their recommendations. 

14 hours ago, CEB said:

Lessons

Oh, and this. Tuition will make a much bigger difference than what equipment you play.

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, stoken6 said:

I can't support those who are recommending dropping a four-figure sum on a keyboard for a beginner. (EDIT: I see @Franz Schiller has made the same point).

If you have a Mac, buy MainStage and a second-hand 61-key controller.  If not, look for something with pitch/mod controllers, virtual-analog(ue) and a mono/portamento mode - that will get you in the ballpark for some of those sounds you referenced in your videos. I'm not an expert in this sector, so I'll let others chime in with their recommendations. 

Oh, and this. Tuition will make a much bigger difference than what equipment you play.

Cheers, Mike.

all of this. 

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

15 hours ago, El Cid said:

I want to play keyboard because, basically, I’m too lazy and cheap to replace the strings of my guitar every other week

Hm... Is that the reason? You can buy lots of string sets for the price of any good synth...

A beginner wannabe KB player who's too lazy to change guitar strings. 

Reads like throwing good money into a fireplace.😎

• Haha 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

3 hours ago, Mr -G- said:

I want to play keyboard because, basically, I’m too lazy and cheap to replace the strings of my guitar every other week

So play guitar and just don't change strings. I'm going on a year with the same set on my guitar and I play it about every day. Those rogue bulk strings are pretty tough. Stainless steel frets help too.

FunMachine.

Heavy Metal...
Hmm, geez you could choose almost anything, then it's more about 'how'.  Some string machine stuff, some rock organ, ac piano, MiniMoog would be  some staples.

Depends how deep the metal rabbit hole is though.
Ever try an SCI Pro-1 through a big, vintage bass rig of choice? Woof - heaven!

16 hours ago, CEB said:

My Vintage suggestion wasn’t about nostalgia.  It’s basis was getting something decent for $400-600.   Most important thing is to start learning fundamental technique. 

Totally agree. I think the OP needs something vaguely synthy to dip toes in the water.

Yeah maybe Nautilus is too much money for a total beginner.

What about an older rompler like a Roland XP-30? Should have some general Moog-y sounds for leads, and other decent pads. Doesn't need the most amazing acoustic piano.

Something like a Korg Kross 2 could do the trick at a cheaper price point.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

On 4/5/2024 at 3:52 PM, Baldwin Funster said:

So play guitar and just don't change strings. I'm going on a year with the same set on my guitar and I play it about every day. Those rogue bulk strings are pretty tough. Stainless steel frets help too.

Hey, @Baldwin Funster I think you misquoted me. I replied to the OP and  I am not the one wanting to play heavy metal.

On 4/4/2024 at 12:24 PM, El Cid said:

I like a more technical and agressive -- shred -- keyboard style, which resembles the sound of guitars (let me be crystal clear: I want to play keyboard because, basically, I’m too lazy and cheap to replace the strings of my guitar every other week)

If you are only getting 2 weeks out of a set of guitar strings, try the D'Addario micro coated strings. I use strings for months, well beyond weeks. And I play them without mercy on a scalloped fretboard guitar. If you have corrosive sweat (not uncommon) then that could be a different story entirely but rest assured that keyboards will also be affected by it. One of the best, most evil and grindy keyboard tones I've ever heard was the keyboardist for Deep Purple decades ago. He cranked a Hammond (probably a B3 tube organ) into dual Marshall stacks and a Leslie. It sounded huge and snarly and complimented Ritchie Blackmore's guitar work beautifully. 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

As KuruPrionz said, Jon Lord from Deep Purple was always the pinnacle in my eyes (ears?) for hard raw keyboards. 

Decades (!) ago, a simple Korg Poly 800 in mono, run thru a string of effects, could sound gargantic and as heavy as you could want. It might not cut it for shiny frilly sounds, but we are talking metal here, so who needs that? 

You are not limited in your choices at all, but you will need to try things out before you know what you need and don't need. Strong and solid enclosure should be near the top of the list. Don't limit yourself to any one brand or think you need to spend much $$, assuming you already have good pedals!

A friend of mine made this journey many years ago. He was (is!) a skilled guitar player who decided to become a keyboard player and started with zero technical knowledge about the piano but he had all the theoretical stuff down already. The skill level will by far outweigh the choice of synth in this genre. You can absolutely get to the desired level without 5 years of classical piano training but it will be an undertaking. Expect about two hours of focused practise every day, starting with a hour of scales every morning. All modes, both hands, scales in intervals and so on. Get a good piano teacher and go to work on Hanon, Czerny and the rest of them. It is imperative to get the basic technique right, anything you learn wrong you will have to un-learn and redo, and you will need good technique for this stuff. 

• Like 1

Since OP seems to be gone and the examples they cited IMO, just seemed more like bombastic proggy synth noodling vs heavy metal, i'll add this.  That Jon Lord power chord crunch was first thing to come to mind when i read the thread title.  After that, I'd say a distorted Whurly, i.e. Van Halen's "cradle will rock."   fwiw, can't remember which big hard rock/metal producer it was, (i think maybe tom weirman), said that they always put an uncredited whurly buried under the heavy guitar tracks to give 'em more weight.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2024 at 11:52 AM, Baldwin Funster said:

Which strings do you use?