Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Eclipse solo piano set list

It seems that where I live in Central Vermont, the eclipse is a big deal.  We're in the total eclipse path, and I live in a resort town with lots of hotels, so a huge tourist influx is expected. I don't know if people understand there's about a 30% chance of clear skies here in April.

I've agreed to do a solo piano gig at a hotel the night before the eclipse, so I'm putting together a song list.  There are 3 main criteria:

1) Obviously, related to the subject matter of the sun, the moon, or how the sun and the moon can mix it up.

2) has to be easily recognizable to the average person. Iron Maiden's "Total Eclipse" may be on the nose, but most people won't know it.

3) has to work reasonably well for solo piano with no vocals. Here too, the Iron Maiden tune fails, as probably does Johnny Cash's Ring of Fire.

Note that my shtick is mainly classic rock/pop/R&B. I can play jazz but it's not my forte.

So far I've written down two lists, the first is what I could find through searching "songs related to eclipse," and those songs are pretty on point. The second list is songs less on point, but they're in my repertoire and I need to fill up 2.5 hours of, so I'll probably do them.

Brain Damage (Floyd)

Eclipse (Floyd)

Here Comes the Sun

Total Eclipse of the Heart (might be too cheesy even for me)

Moondance

Moonshadow

Bad Moon Rising

Blinded By the Light

Blackhole Sun (might be tough for solo piano)

Ain't No Sunshine

You're So Vain (this one snuck up on me)

Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me

Paint it Black

Fly Me to the Moon

Moonlight in Vermont ('cause I'm in Vermont!)

The following tunes aren't as on point but are in my solo repertoire and relevant enough to play:

Rocket Man

Space Oddity

Moonage Daydream

Life on Mars

Across the Universe

Turn the Lights Back On (new BJ)

Whiter Shade of Pale

Midnight RIder

House of the Rising Sun

I Feel the Earth Move

Back to Black

Sundown

Strange Magic

Something in the Air

Living in the Past (this one's a stretch)

Walkin on the Moon

You Are the Sunshine of my Life

Can't Find My Way Home

Suggestions welcome!

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Instant Karma-John Lennon

Mr. Moon-The Coachmen

Mr. Moonlight-The Beatles

I'll Follow the Sun-The Beatles

Mr. Sun, Mr. Moon-Paul Revere and the Raiders

Waiting for the Sun-The Doors

Aquarius/Let the Sun Shine In-The 5th Dimension

Earth and Sun and Moon-Midnight Oil

California Sun-The Rivieras

Walking on the Sun-Smash Mouth

Gibson G101, Fender Rhodes Piano Bass, Vox Continental, RMI Electra-Piano and Harpsichord 300A, Hammond M102A, Hohner Combo Pianet, OB8, Matrix 12, Jupiter 6, Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, CS70M, CP35, PX-5S, WK-3800, Stage 3 Compact

Sunshine (Go Away Today) -- Jonathan Edwards

Sunshine Superman -- Donovan

“For 50 years, it was like being chained to a lunatic.”

-- Kingsley Amis on the eventual loss of his libido

58 minutes ago, Moonglow said:

Dark Side of the Moon

Being the non-obsessive Pink Floyd appreciator that I am, I had to do some research to figure out that the "dark side of the moon" lyric is actually in the song Brain Damage (first song on my list). Somehow I've survived for decades without knowing that.

Some good suggestions in the above posts, but again, these have to be songs that are recognizable to a broad spectrum of audience when played as solo piano instrumental pieces.  That narrows the field quite a bit. Waiting for the Sun would be a brilliant choice, but most people probably wouldn't get it hearing it just solo piano.

Drawback: a bunch of tourists in a resort town all there for the same special reason . . . this is the easiest scenario imaginable for table banter. I could probably pull it off speaking only Hungarian.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Adan said:

Blackhole Sun (might be tough for solo piano)

What a fun concept for a gig! I did Black Hole Sun in an organ trio (Hammond/Tenor/Drums) and it was a lot of fun. It's a really cool set of changes to blow over.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

3 hours ago, Adan said:

Being the non-obsessive Pink Floyd appreciator that I am, I had to do some research to figure out that the "dark side of the moon" lyric is actually in the song Brain Damage (first song on my list). Somehow I've survived for decades without knowing that.

Some good suggestions in the above posts, but again, these have to be songs that are recognizable to a broad spectrum of audience when played as solo piano instrumental pieces.

Thanks for the information. I was initially wondering if this thread had anything to do with the present date, but decided to bite. A couple more:

You Are My Sunshine

…..and how could I not recommend “Moonglow” :laugh:

I do understand the “broad spectrum of audience” thing probably disqualifies these entires, although if your audience is of a certain age…

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

haha that’s hilarious!  After a quick scan, my top 3 = Dark Side of the Moon, Black Hole Sun, Rocket Man.  These are can’t miss!

I’m actually going to an eclipse festival in Austin TX.  My wife figured it all out, looks like about a thousand different ‘experiences’, music, science, on and on.  Vulfpeck is on the roster so that’s cool.  I’m pretty sure I’ll burn out before the actual eclipse.  Checking the weather, looks like thunderstorms, rain and clouds during the eclipse.  Nice.

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

Great gig in the sky

Set the controls for the heart of the sun

Astronomy Domine

Moon over Bourbon Street

Sunshine of your love

Walking on sunshine

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

A kind of funny byproduct of this for me is that I'm suddenly listening to the Dark Side of the Moon album almost as if in a whole new light (no pun intended). I was not expecting that at all -- this is an album I've been listening to since I was 15, and I'm now 157 years old (or at least, sometimes feel that way). I've never been the kind of obsessive Pink Floyd fan who can tell you what pedal the guitar was running through for this or that track. I've also never felt like Pink Floyd works very well for solo piano.  Suddenly, I feel strongly that it all works well for solo piano, and I'd like to do an entire set that's nothing but Dark Side from beginning to end, maybe minus a few whoa-whoa-whoa's from Great Gig in the Sky. I'm also, quite unexpectedly, growing hair on the palms of my hands, which should make organ palm smears that much easier.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2024 at 12:12 PM, Adan said:

Moonlight in Vermont ('cause I'm in Vermont!)

If you want a real challenge, you could transcribe this for solo piano:

I'm sure it'd be a huge hit!

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Good Day Sunshine (Beatles)

Blue Moon

Moon River

I Got the Sun in the Mornin' (and the Moon at Night)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Some great ideas above; the few ideas I had were already listed.  But maybe you can be BOLD and also mix in some songs about all the CrAzY PeOpLe and/or things that get affected by the moon -- Iron Man and Godzilla (the songs) come to mind, just to mix it up.

That leads to:

Crazy (Patsy Cline)

Crazy Train (Ozzie)

Crazy On You (Heart)

...and there's more for sure.

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

Don’t Let the Sun, Go Down On Me (Elton John).

Sunrise, sunset.

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512.

Sunshine (on my shoulders)

Swinging on a Star ("Would you like to swing on a star, carry moonbeams home in a jar...)

When You Wish Upon a Star

maybe Vincent (aka starry starry night...), though a sad one

Everyone's Gone to the Moon (probably not sufficiently well known)

Starman (Bowie) (also maybe not sufficiently well known)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Great suggestions, thank you.  All the responses have been super helpful and have opened my mind to new ways of approaching this.