Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

There is no perfect ban...

13 hours ago, ABECK said:

Mummy funk - now I've seen it all.  At least they don't have to spend time worrying about what to wear on gig nights.  

The funk is strong with them, love the music. The bari sax is a freaking treat.  But mostly I'm just so tickled that they go the extra mile for the gag. 

9 hours ago, Dave Weiser said:

The funk is strong with them, love the music. The bari sax is a freaking treat.  But mostly I'm just so tickled that they go the extra mile for the gag. 

I appreciate anyone putting effort into the "Show" of a gig.  As a young musician, I was adamant that the music should do ALL the talking.  I've changed on that quite a bit.  Gimme something to look at while I'm enjoying the tunes.

• Like 2

During an extended vamp at a Zappa concert, Tommy Mars ran out front in purple briefs and neck sash to do a vaguely disturbing and FUNNY free-form improvisational dance. After a bit, Frank gave him a Look, so he did a big stage-cringe, crept back to his keys on hands & knees, popped up and took up seamlessly with the music. I always enjoyed the big Yes and Floyd stage shows, but Frank's band WAS the show. I love those incredible memories. :rocker:

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

I attended and graduated from the Hartt School at the University of Hartford in West Hartford, CT in the early 70's. Tommy Mariano (aka Tommy Mars) was a legendary figure during those years at the conservatory.

Once during a concert of John Cage music, he performed one indeterminate Cage work on a solo Fender Rhodes Suitcase 73. When he was done, he reached up to a small Tensor Lamp that stood atop the Rhodes. He proceeded to turn it off in a dimly-lit, large-scale rehearsal hall for effect. Awe inspiring...

I have always regretted not attending his formal piano recital where he allegedly played concert literature on grand piano and then on multi-keyboards.

He is the pride of Waterbury, CT.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Mars

18 hours ago, dacm said:

I attended and graduated from the Hartt School at the University of Hartford in West Hartford, CT in the early 70's. Tommy Mariano (aka Tommy Mars) was a legendary figure during those years at the conservatory.

Once during a concert of John Cage music, he performed one indeterminate Cage work on a solo Fender Rhodes Suitcase 73. When he was done, he reached up to a small Tensor Lamp that stood atop the Rhodes. He proceeded to turn it off in a dimly-lit, large-scale rehearsal hall for effect. Awe inspiring...

I have always regretted not attending his formal piano recital where he allegedly played concert literature on grand piano and then on multi-keyboards.

He is the pride of Waterbury, CT.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Mars

I remember a tale of Tommy making the cut. He was at the piano, struggling through some of Zappa's intense sheet music and not quite hitting even his own usual standards. He said "Frank, I'd need a lot more time to play that the right way, so let me do some improv and see what you think." He did this strangely bouncy vamp and accompanied it by singing like a Munchkin. Frank lost it and doubled over laughing. He called Gail in for a listen as well. Tommy said "That's when I knew I had the gig!" :rocker:

~ "King of the Hill"

I think this forum hipped me to this band some years back. Very cool, check out "Bump". 

Isn't their schtick that they are all (rumo(u)red to be) first-call A-list session guys/girls, but of course you can't tell under the costumes?

Cheers, Mike.

22 hours ago, mate stubb said:

I almost always take my daughter to see the Mummies when they pass through. Getting too old to stand and boogie for the entire show though. :freak:

That right there is some damned good parenting. I salute you!

• Like 2

Tight jam/funk band.  But three songs in this thread all focused on the male genitalia doesn't hold much promise of an interesting catalogue.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

They are a revolving cast of Nashville session musicians, or so my friend that follows the band told me.  The spouse and I drove a couple of hours to meet her and her friend for a Mummies show in Punta Gorda, Florida.  The Mummies do a good live show I suppose, but it was too loud for me.  After the first number, I walked outside and waited for the show to end.

3 hours ago, elif said:

They are a revolving cast of Nashville session musicians, or so my friend that follows the band told me.  The spouse and I drove a couple of hours to meet her and her friend for a Mummies show in Punta Gorda, Florida.  The Mummies do a good live show I suppose, but it was too loud for me.  After the first number, I walked outside and waited for the show to end.

Been there. My first official concert was the Moody Blues, which burned Mellotron strings into my brain and made my ears ring for 3 days. I learned early on that it was wise to bring ear plugs to shows. That's part of why my hearing is still pretty serviceable.

~ "King of the Hill"