Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Arturia KeyLab 61 MK II - Yellowed Keys

I purchased a used Arturia KeyLab 61 MK II a few months back and recently noticed that all of the D keys and the high C key have all yellowed. Either I didn't notice it when purchasing or it happened fairly quickly. Seems so bizarre that it's mainly the D keys. Is i possible the previous owner had these keys replaced or did I just get a bum unit? The keys play fine I just know it will effect re-sale price if I ever decide to sell it. Very odd.

yellowkeys.thumb.jpg.011d6990d074a722b7535dc59e1c20ac.jpg

Jazz is the teacher, Funk is the preacher!

This kind of goes hand in hand with the saying they don't make things like they used to.  Just a guess as I'd like to know myself but very likely it's the type of plastics used today.  Best to keep newer keys out of direct sunlight.  You could spend time whitening them but 9x out of 10 it just comes back.  I say leave it be.

But concern of resale on an the Keylab 61 MKII? I just picked one up for $80 barely used (I like it btw, it does what it should do but resale value isn't foremost). Key feel somewhere equal to a smidge above a Roland VR09 (definitely not exciting feel).  Sliders a bit flimsy but all other controllers quite decent.  Good size and weight while retaining (some) visual appeal.  Better quality than maudio and Novation IMHO.

It also solidifies another point, essentially keyboardists now have a choice between plastic crap and more expensive plastic crap (there's some good among the sizeable bad in regard).

• Like 2

Wait for all keys to have yellow color and then you will have a modern "vintage" piece of gear. Like my Kawai K5000W, all keys are yellow!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

12 hours ago, JoJoB3 said:

This kind of goes hand in hand with the saying they don't make things like they used to.  Just a guess as I'd like to know myself but very likely it's the type of plastics used today.  Best to keep newer keys out of direct sunlight.  You could spend time whitening them but 9x out of 10 it just comes back.  I say leave it be.

But concern of resale on an the Keylab 61 MKII? I just picked one up for $80 barely used (I like it btw, it does what it should do but resale value isn't foremost). Key feel somewhere equal to a smidge above a Roland VR09 (definitely not exciting feel).  Sliders a bit flimsy but all other controllers quite decent.  Good size and weight while retaining (some) visual appeal.  Better quality than maudio and Novation IMHO.

It also solidifies another point, essentially keyboardists now have a choice between plastic crap and more expensive plastic crap (there's some good among the sizeable bad in regard).

You got a killer deal! Latest sold listings on Reverb range from $275 to $380.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, UnderGroundGr said:

Wait for all keys to have yellow color and then you will have a modern "vintage" piece of gear. Like my Kawai K5000W, all keys are yellow!

Yep same here with my Kawai K5000S.  My personal favorite keybed, but I don't get the yellowing.  I'd love to pick the brain of a keyboard industry insider to know why this happens.  Did Fatar buy the cut-rate government cheese vats of liquid plastic that year?

• Haha 3

The Players:  OB-X8, Numa Compact 2X, Kawai K5000S, cheap Korean guitars/basses, Roland TD-1KV e-drums.  Eurorack/Banana modular, Synth/FX DIY.

22 hours ago, sunspot said:

Yep same here with my Kawai K5000S.  My personal favorite keybed, but I don't get the yellowing.  I'd love to pick the brain of a keyboard industry insider to know why this happens.  Did Fatar buy the cut-rate government cheese vats of liquid plastic that year?

My personal favourite keyed too, both white or yellow...😄

IMG_2982.jpeg

Look the difference between Kawai and Kurzweil keybed color...😂

• Like 3

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

I've had one for 3 years now and it integrates nicely with my Vsts and I especially like the transit controls.

I almost wished I had gotten the 88 key version; although I think I would have preferred a higher Fatar action .

I had a 20% coupon I think and paid around $450 new.

I will need to learn how to assign the IK drawbars to the sliders, 

• Like 2

CrossRhodes, I just found a picture of the guy at the plastic factory who was working the controls for the D keys and high C that day:

s053844320.jpg?w=1556%26h=875%26crop=1&f

• Haha 1

The Players:  OB-X8, Numa Compact 2X, Kawai K5000S, cheap Korean guitars/basses, Roland TD-1KV e-drums.  Eurorack/Banana modular, Synth/FX DIY.

10 minutes ago, sunspot said:

CrossRhodes, I just found a picture of the guy at the plastic factory who was working the controls for the D keys and high C that day:

s053844320.jpg?w=1556%26h=875%26crop=1&f

Now we're getting to the bottom of it. A mere coincidence that he too is yellow? I think not!

Sometimes the yellow comes from storing in some kind of cases / bags. Funny that its only the d. On my Stage 2 the keys are yellowed equally but very faintly, you only see it because the top and the bottom keys arent (because they are not part of the regular octave).

On 3/23/2024 at 3:41 PM, CrossRhodes said:

Now we're getting to the bottom of it. A mere coincidence that he too is yellow? I think not!

Man, this fan theory has blown the entire thing WIDE OPEN!

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 1

Side question: Arturia Keylab 61

Is anyone finding this keybed to be the slowest of the controllers and is there a spring size to possibly help speed it up?
example: stuttering notes with faux Hammond sound, etc - rough when the key doesn't come back quicker.

That is really odd.

I've had a Keylab61 MK2 since they came out with the MK2  (replaced my original MK1)

I have not had any discoloration of the keys on my Arturia, or any other keyboards.

I don't store my keyboards in cases.  When home from a show, they come out of the case, cleaned if necessary, and put on my home practice stand, or on a shelf.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

On 3/25/2024 at 1:01 AM, JoJoB3 said:

Side question: Arturia Keylab 61

Is anyone finding this keybed to be the slowest of the controllers and is there a spring size to possibly help speed it up?
example: stuttering notes with faux Hammond sound, etc - rough when the key doesn't come back quicker.

Are you talking about the Essential or the MKII? I dont find the MKII to be slow but I'm not an advanced player so YMMV.

On 3/25/2024 at 8:32 AM, EscapeRocks said:

That is really odd.

I've had a Keylab61 MK2 since they came out with the MK2  (replaced my original MK1)

I have not had any discoloration of the keys on my Arturia, or any other keyboards.

I don't store my keyboards in cases.  When home from a show, they come out of the case, cleaned if necessary, and put on my home practice stand, or on a shelf.

I keep it covered with an On Stage dust cover when not in use. Don't think that would've caused just the D keys to yellow but possibly?

On 3/24/2024 at 5:23 PM, Baldwin Funster said:

Just play it with the yellow keys.

Yep, that's what I'm doing. 

8 minutes ago, CrossRhodes said:

Are you talking about the Essential or the MKII? I dont find the MKII to be slow but I'm not an advanced player so YMMV.

MK2 (barely used). No no, this sucker is slooow (keybed, key return).  Can make do but a spring change would be great.