Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lightweight all in one board for fun, jamming, etc

I use a Yamaha Reface CP for this. Only 37 keys, but the action (despite mini keys) is quite terrific due to the velocity curves. The effects are controlled with knobs, so no menu diving ever. In a live string, all the electric pianos sound good. Plus, it’s battery powered and speakers sound decent. I often pack it into a tiny Analog case and take it to karaoke at friend’s homes with me. I had a Reface DX before, and it was equally good for this, but for the effects requiring menu diving.

Thanks for the answers Scott and Kpl

I never had a chance to play the CK61 yet although I plan on trying it out soon. Would you say the action is similar to a DX7II? 

I used to own a DX7 and I remember it also had that initial resistance feel, the keybed felt premium even though it wasn't "pianistic".

Catch me on YouTube for 200 IQ piano covers, musical trivia quizzes, tutorials, reviews and other fun stuff...

https://www.youtube.com/p1anoyc

CK61 does sound appealing, although I’ve already got the YC73 and CP88. Do none of the other pro manufacturers like Roland or Korg produce a similar board with speakers - of a similar quality?

Yamaha YC73

Korg Kronos2 61

Yamaha CP88

Roland Jupiter 8

Roland JX3P

Roland D50

5 hours ago, Dave Keys said:

CK61 does sound appealing, although I’ve already got the YC73 and CP88. Do none of the other pro manufacturers like Roland or Korg produce a similar board with speakers - of a similar quality?

Not with speakers. Roland have the ageing VR, Korg tend to stick with pianos, synths and workstations.

• Like 1

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

On 3/23/2024 at 7:24 PM, Dave Keys said:

Do none of the other pro manufacturers like Roland or Korg produce a similar board with speakers - of a similar quality?

19 hours ago, Paul Woodward said:

Not with speakers.

Unless you count arrangers. Korg in particular has strong (if expensive) offerings in this area.

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 1

The Casio CT-S1 is pretty good when you set the Touch to Heavy.

The Roland Go and the Yamaha are pretty awful in comparison, I can't even play them.

• Like 1

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Well, I've decided to send back the Go:Keys. It's another board I so wanted to like, but it has a ludicrously over the top initial resistance to the keys that is not even present on my 6'6 Grand Piano, let alone the CP or YC. It's a board that fights you when you try to play it; a gatekeeper action, if you like. And of course, the speakers don't do the sounds justice. But then, what do I expect for just over £200...

I was going to hang onto it and compare it side by side with the CT-S500 when it arrives, but there's no point. 

My mind is drifting on to going a little pricier with a CK61, but with a YC and CP already in situ, what would I gain, other than portability and speakers?

Yamaha YC73

Korg Kronos2 61

Yamaha CP88

Roland Jupiter 8

Roland JX3P

Roland D50

BTW, just noticed that Casio must have a manufacturer-sponsored sale on CT-S1000V (CT-S500 + vocal synthesis engine); the US online stores have it $100 off through the end of the month, making it $10 cheaper than the CT-S500.  Of course, you have to put up with the ugly red areas (IMO) on the panel; too bad because I think the CT-S500 is pretty nice looking for a budget keyboard.  

• Like 1

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

7 minutes ago, Sam Mullins said:

BTW, just noticed that Casio must have a manufacturer-sponsored sale on CT-S1000V (CT-S500 + vocal synthesis engine); the US online stores have it $100 off through the end of the month, making it $10 cheaper than the CT-S500.  Of course, you have to put up with the ugly red areas (IMO) on the panel; too bad because I think the CT-S500 is pretty nice looking for a budget keyboard.  

Yes, I saw the S 1000 V but it’s overkill for my requirements, and I agree with you, the red areas don’t look good. I prefer the more minimalist look of the S 500.

Yamaha YC73

Korg Kronos2 61

Yamaha CP88

Roland Jupiter 8

Roland JX3P

Roland D50

On 3/24/2024 at 4:50 AM, Chummy said:

Thanks for the answers Scott and Kpl

I never had a chance to play the CK61 yet although I plan on trying it out soon. Would you say the action is similar to a DX7II? 

I used to own a DX7 and I remember it also had that initial resistance feel, the keybed felt premium even though it wasn't "pianistic".

The CK61 doesn't feel like a DX7.  If Yamaha had just kept putting the DX7 keys in their boards we wouldn't be constantly complaining.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

May I also suggest: this:                   

Campfire, beach friendly. Easy to throw in a bag. Great fit for intimate acoustic jams and fun.  

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

8 hours ago, Dave Keys said:

Well, I've decided to send back the Go:Keys. It's another board I so wanted to like,  

And yet several of us here told you how shitty it was before you went and bought it anyways ;)    

5 hours ago, D. Gauss said:

And yet several of us here told you how shitty it was before you went and bought it anyways ;)    

Of course. If I said the Nord Electro HP 73 had a dreadful action, would that preclude you from bringing one in for evaluation, or would you simply take that advice into account and see for yourself? Many are happy with the Electro, just as many here are happy with the Go:Keys. It just wasn’t for me. 

Yamaha YC73

Korg Kronos2 61

Yamaha CP88

Roland Jupiter 8

Roland JX3P

Roland D50

8 hours ago, D. Gauss said:

There's no reason to be nasty. I gave the OP an honest review, including noting that the action is heavy. When it comes to action, people have subjective preferences. The one thing I'd say to the OP is that if you give up on the Go Keys before giving your muscles a chance to adjust, then you haven't really given it a chance.

One thing I like about the heavy action on the Go Piano is that I can get back on a real piano after a week of vacation and not feel like I've lost all my finger strength. I can hear it now, "but vacations are for relaxing!" Ok, fine, you do you.

Melodicas are wonderful. But often I find myself in a hotel room with my wife and kids asleep and I want to play with headphones.  The Go Piano has maybe the quietest keyboard action I've found.  

• Like 1

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

On 3/20/2024 at 6:42 PM, El Lobo said:

I have a Casio S1. It's the true couch piano. Lotsa fun. Lightweight. Runs on batteries. I put the guitar strap on it to hold it on my lap. No stand or table needed. Onboard speakers are about as loud as acoustic guitar. If you want louder, like when there is an electric guitar, you'll need additional outboard speaker. 

Do you paly it with both hands? If so how?

1 hour ago, Paul Woodward said:

Maybe the new $499 GO:Keys 5 will offer more of what you need?

https://www.roland.com/au/products/gokeys_5/

If it had a new updated action, I think they'd likely have mentioned it, so I'm thinking it probably has the same action as the earlier GOs. Interesting new entry, though. I see they also have a lower cost 3, which loses the 1/4" out, the second pedal jack, the audio inputs and vocal processing, and has lesser speaker system, but it weighs about a pound less.

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Well, Scott has got me pretty excited about the CT-S500 which arrives in the next day or two. 
The new GoKeys 5 looks interesting, but as has been pointed out, it sounds like the same action. Maybe my local Fairdeal or PMT will have one in for me to try out. 

• Like 1

Yamaha YC73

Korg Kronos2 61

Yamaha CP88

Roland Jupiter 8

Roland JX3P

Roland D50

5 hours ago, murphybridget said:

Do you paly it with both hands? If so how?

I guess I don't understand the question. Yes, I play it with both hands, just as I would any other keyboard. It sits on my lap when I'm on the couch. Maybe it's not clear that I use the guitar strap to go behind my back to hold it in place on my lap and keep it from slipping off. I don't play it with the strap over my shoulder, like a keytar. I also put it on my dining room table and play it sitting up in a dining room chair.

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

though even if you wanted to play it standing up with the guitar strap holding it, you can still play with two hands... and luckily the Casio weighs half what that Univox did...

Univox_Compac_Piano_Billy_Preston.jpg

s-l1200.webp

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Holy crikey - you weren't kidding about the Casio CT-S500 Scott. How Casio are able to build a board with such a playable action, functionality, quality of tone, not to mention surprisingly high build quality, for £235 delivered is incredible. Just what I've been looking for. I am having to revise my view of Casio as a brand. At this price point, they rule the roost. The search is over, and many thanks to you and others for your helpful input. Keyboard Corner at its best!

• Like 4

Yamaha YC73

Korg Kronos2 61

Yamaha CP88

Roland Jupiter 8

Roland JX3P

Roland D50

1 hour ago, Dave Keys said:

Holy crikey - you weren't kidding about the Casio CT-S500 Scott. How Casio are able to build a board with such a playable action, functionality, quality of tone, not to mention surprisingly high build quality, for £235 delivered is incredible. Just what I've been looking for. I am having to revise my view of Casio as a brand. At this price point, they rule the roost. The search is over, and many thanks to you and others for your helpful input. Keyboard Corner at its best!

Is it perfect, of course not.  But really an amazing achievement for the price. Lots of “pro features” not available on similarly priced consumer models. 

• Like 1

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

On 3/26/2024 at 11:28 AM, El Lobo said:

I guess I don't understand the question. Yes, I play it with both hands, just as I would any other keyboard. It sits on my lap when I'm on the couch. Maybe it's not clear that I use the guitar strap to go behind my back to hold it in place on my lap and keep it from slipping off. I don't play it with the strap over my shoulder, like a keytar. I also put it on my dining room table and play it sitting up in a dining room chair.

I thought you play it with the strap on your shoulders.

My vote goes for the CK61. I also had a Kross 2 and got rid of it. 

• Like 2

NS4 73HA, Yamaha CK61, Korg C1 Air, Roland TD1-DMK, Harley Benton TalkBox, Sony F-760 dynamic microphone, Scarlett 2i2 3rd gen, M-Audio Track Duo, MacBook Air M1, Logic Pro X, Kontakt 7, Mainstage, Cubasis 3 (IOS), Korg Module (IOS),

1 hour ago, MartinLeo said:

My vote goes for the CK61. 

Agree. As i've mentioned above on first page, I have both the Casio Ct-S1000V and The CK-61 (which i got stupid cheap used).  Since I got the CK61, I don't think I've touched the Casio.  Bonehead simple and super fun.  Plug in an Iphone (with Vb3m) with only 1 cable and you have a roaring, drawbar controlled, B3 in your lap.

• Like 4

The CK is more than twice the price of the Casio and heading more into 'pro' territory with the sounds and features, and the CK is half the price of a YC61 that is has much in common with. Working back down, the Casio looks an absolute bargain and Roland are clearly dipping into similar territory with the new GO range.

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

14 minutes ago, Paul Woodward said:

The CK is more than twice the price of the Casio 

Yes indeed, but only if we're talking new, purchased at a store.  Even though it has only been out for a short while, I bought my CK61 barely used for $400 bucks IIRC. i.e. NYC rents are absolutely brutal (average rent for a tiny 1 bedroom is over $3,700 per month), and come end of the month, there are lots of deals to be found. Though I've been seeing used Casio ct-s500's and cts1000's for under 200 bucks, so your statement holds true.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, D. Gauss said:

Yes indeed, but only if we're talking new, purchased at a store.  Even though it has only been out for a short while, I bought my CK61 barely used for $400 bucks IIRC. i.e. NYC rents are absolutely brutal (average rent for a tiny 1 bedroom is over $3,700 per month), and come end of the month, there are lots of deals to be found. Though I've been seeing used Casio ct-s500's and cts1000's for under 200 bucks, so your statement holds true.

Indeed, I got my last YC61 for less than the price of a CK which is why I moved on from the CK. I do like a good bargain, but not everyone can get them at any given time so, for someone looking to buy a board new, the Casio has to be hard to beat.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, D. Gauss said:

Agree. As i've mentioned above on first page, I have both the Casio Ct-S1000V and The CK-61 (which i got stupid cheap used).  Since I got the CK61, I don't think I've touched the Casio.  Bonehead simple and super fun.  Plug in an Iphone (with Vb3m) with only 1 cable and you have a roaring, drawbar controlled, B3 in your lap.

8 hours ago, Paul Woodward said:

Indeed, I got my last YC61 for less than the price of a CK which is why I moved on from the CK. I do like a good bargain, but not everyone can get them at any given time so, for someone looking to buy a board new, the Casio has to be hard to beat.

Also a lovely board, but I don’t think I’d have got one for £235, even second hand. 

• Like 1

Yamaha YC73

Korg Kronos2 61

Yamaha CP88

Roland Jupiter 8

Roland JX3P

Roland D50

12 hours ago, MartinLeo said:

My vote goes for the CK61. I also had a Kross 2 and got rid of it. 

Right now, my lightest self-contained 2-board rig of choice would be the CT-S500 and a CK61. I considered the Kross 2 to pair with the Casio, because it's got a nice weight advantage, along with some nice features and sounds, but I just don't gel with that board's action and interface, plus I'm spoiled by all the boards that don't cut sounds off when you switch patches, so the Kross has some particular negatives for me, while the CK61 has some particular positives (e.g. the drawbar organ, a screen that shows you what the 8 patch select buttons are currently set to, the immediacy of all the controls for sound creation/editing or live tweaking). A Fantom-06 would be a nice choice too.