Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lightweight all in one board for fun, jamming, etc

I'm in the market for a board that's really light with built in speakers, that you could take to a jam night in pub and not be too precious about it getting damaged, but equally just jam with it on the sofa at home, or when I go camping. In other words, the instant convenience of an acoustic guitar in a keyboard. I realise of course that a jam night is always going to need my DXR10 speaker to accompany it. 

I know quite a few people are sniffy about the Roland GO:Keys, and I was for ages, but it seems a viable contender, and I can get one for £227 inc taxes ($287). Another option would be the Numa Compact 2x or forthcoming 2x SE, but at £499 and £699 respectively, that's a different price bracket, and i'm not sure I need 88.

I hear good things about the Casios too.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Yamaha YC73

Korg Kronos2 61

Yamaha CP88

Roland Jupiter 8

Roland JX3P

Roland D50

I've had a Roland GO piano since they came out, I guess a few years now? It's gotten a ton of use in just the ways you describe: vacations, outdoor jams, etc. I think what endears this keyboard to me most is the feel of the keys, they've got a flat, low profile shape, are nicely textured, and for being non-weighted they have a solid, almost heavy feel. The heaviness takes some getting used to but once my fingers acclimated I prefer it to the lighter non-weighted actions found on most "travel" boards in this price range.

Speakers are decently loud. The GO piano has a few useable piano sounds, the rest is crap, but that's fine for this purpose. Bluetooth is a nice feature.

Casio of course has a bunch of keyboards in this category, in some ways better than the GO piano. Again, I prefer the action on the GO. But that's subjective.

I also have a Yamaha CK61, which is a different tool for a different purpose: band rehearsals, not travel or outdoor jams.

• Like 2

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I had a used Roland Go Piano. Hated it. Like a Fisher Price toy to me. Couldn't sell it fast enough. Then I got...

A Casio CT-S1.  Lots of fun in a cheap small form. I see them used for as low as 80 bucks.  It is like the perfect couch keyboard, but sold it when, for cheap, I found a barely used...

Casio CT-S1000v.  Even more fun, more powerful, and easier to hook things up to. Totally gigable. Used that live on a tour until...

For really, really, really, crazy cheap, I found a mispriced, used Yamaha CK-61. It's a blast. Hard to beat if you find one for under $500. Add an Iphone with VB3 for even more fun.

I also have a Studiologic Compact 2x that lives in the studio. The form factor/size/weight is great, the speakers are a bit weak but usable, and it does a lot.  Again, i got it dirt cheap used (seeing a trend here?), so my expectations were much lower than had i paid full freight.  Now that the new models are out, methinks there should be some good deals on craigslist for one.  I got mine with the super cute/practical/perfect carry case for $300.  Totally worth it.

Coming back full circle, and I wish i still had it, I sold an old Yamaha NP-30 or np-31 (can't remember) to buy the aforementioned Go Piano.  They no longer make the 30/31 but i think they have a similar np32 or something now?  the NP-30 only has a couple of sounds, most of which blow (piano is ok), BUT... it has 76 keys vs 61, the non-weighted action is surprisingly playable for what it is, runs on batteries, weighs nothing, and you can easily sit and play it on your lap.  I spent pretty much all of Covid lockdown in my kitchen with that keyboard on my lap practicing piano. Around here, if patient, you can find those used for 50-75 bucks.

• Like 4

Thank you for all the replies and insights folks - much appreciated!

I think it's usable speakers and some decent basic sounds I'm after, in a light and instantly playable package, that doesn't look like a Yamaha PSR or home keyboard.

Like pulling the acoustic guitar out and playing -that's what the board needs to do. 

Yamaha YC73

Korg Kronos2 61

Yamaha CP88

Roland Jupiter 8

Roland JX3P

Roland D50

I'd probably go with the Casio CT-S1.

I haven't played the Roland Go, but from what I've read, most people who have played both think the Casio action is better. I have the CT-S500 (same action) and I find it very playable (and better than the actions in, for example, the 61-key Korg Kross or Roland Juno-DS.... not that those would be in contention for this purpose, but just to use as a point of reference).

Another nice feature of the Casios is that they have the pegs for a guitar strap, so you don't necessarily need to bring a stand for the "jam night in a pub" usage. And I'd go for the white one, also esp. for the jam night usage, since the buttons and their legends are the easiest to see, and you may be in poor light.

The CT-S500 is a lot more capable, and gives you the more convenient 1/4" outputs, but might be unnecessary overkill for your use.

If you want 88 keys, the Korg Liano is cheaper and lighter than the Numa Compact 2 series, and I prefer its action... but it is also much less capable, and again, has only 1/8" output. Also, the Numa speakers are not as good as the Korg's, or the Casio's. They're enough to hear what you're doing, but beyond that, I think the others can be more satisfying.

But also, when I look at your usages, I think 88 is too big for lap-on-the-sofa use, and might also sometimes feel too big on a cramped stage for your jam nights. That said, sheer size aside, of course, it's nice to have the 88, and these 88s also include class-compliant audio over USB, meaning it's very easy to get your chocie of sounds from an attached iPhone/iPad.

As for the others mentioned... Yeah, CK61 would be a really nice option, but (possibly like the Numa) could be getting up to something you couldn't treat sufficiently casually. Korg EK50 looks interesting, but I haven't played that one, and don't know what it's action is like. It also looks a bit deep for lap use, and isn't as good as the others at meeting the added criteria, "doesn't look like a Yamaha PSR or home keyboard."

• Like 2

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Thanks AnotherScott. As you'll see from my gear list, I've got the heavy gear for the band Soul/Funk Gigs, the solo wedding piano, etc. It's just that all this gear requires extra cables, to go into a specific room of the house, or to be set up, wired up. I've been noodling about with Bud Powell solo transcriptions lately, and also Genesis In the Cage, so a good palette of sounds in a nice looking, sounding and uber light package for not a lot of dough sounds good.

Spontaneity is where I am heading. Not so keen on the look of the CT-S1, but the CT-S500 does look good, so shall investigate further.

Thank you.

• Like 2

Yamaha YC73

Korg Kronos2 61

Yamaha CP88

Roland Jupiter 8

Roland JX3P

Roland D50

Lightweight at 8.4 lbs there can be only one!

Korg Kross 2, a big plus is that it can run on batteries.

No speakers in-built but add a Boss Katana amp, which also runs on batteries.  This is small yet packs enough W for a small venue and jamming.

I used this mobile setup for two years and it is vastly superior IMO to anything from Casio.

Col

CT-S1 is fine.  The sounds for solo instruments are very good for the price.  The keys and the speakers are nothing to write home about.  I’d definitely use it to throw in a bag and play chords with a singer.  To play solo or a band?  Eh, probably not.  Like the GO piano, it’s a lap instrument.  

• Like 1

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I've ordered the Go: Keys from Amazon for evaluation and would do the same with the CT-s500 but it's not in stock at the mo. 

• Like 1

Yamaha YC73

Korg Kronos2 61

Yamaha CP88

Roland Jupiter 8

Roland JX3P

Roland D50

The Casio WK-7600 is worth consideration. It has been in production for about 10 years but is still listed as available from the major dealers. The WK-7600 has 76 keys plus a dedicated ToneWheel organ section with 9 sliders for full range drawbar settings. This is a feature only a few Casio's and practically no other brands have in this price range. The Sample section sounds have a good amount of editing capability such as filter cutoff, envelope, modulation, and multiple effects to make your own storable presets. You can store preset performance setups like splits/layers and transpositions. It has a 17 track sequencer with external audio recording storable on SD cards, This keyboard can cover just about any sound category. While they are still available new I have seen used ones for between $200-300.

Another Casio that can cover a lot of territory is the XW-P1. In addition to the Tonewheel organ and Sample sections it has a VA Synth section with Monosynth and Polysynth modes. This model does not have internal speakers and is only available with a 61-note keyboard. It was discontinued a couple of years after only a few years in production but can be found used. 

These and most other Casio keyboards can run on batteries.

• Like 2

Gibson G101, Fender Rhodes Piano Bass, Vox Continental, RMI Electra-Piano and Harpsichord 300A, Hammond M102A, Hohner Combo Pianet, OB8, Matrix 12, Jupiter 6, Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, CS70M, CP35, PX-5S, WK-3800, Stage 3 Compact

1 hour ago, Dave Keys said:

I've ordered the Go: Keys from Amazon for evaluation and would do the same with the CT-s500 but it's not in stock at the mo. 

I've got a CT-S500 for sale, mint condition hardly used. I'm Leeds based. Your profile says Birmingham so we could meet half way and you can try it out. It runs on batteries so no issues on portability. 

I much prefer the keys on the Casio to my daughters Go Keys. It is by far the best keybed I've played at this price point. 

Reason for selling is that I got a Fantom 07 for lightweight duties so it became redundant. 

• Like 1

also, know that the more expensive CT-S1000v is exactly the same as the 500 except it adds the silly (to me) vocodor function.  The irony here is that it seems Casio sold a bunch more 1000's than 500's, so there's a lot of 'em out there on the used market for cheap. i see 1000's on craig's sometimes for under $200.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biggles said:

Lightweight at 8.4 lbs there can be only one!

Korg Kross 2, a big plus is that it can run on batteries.

No speakers in-built but add a Boss Katana amp, which also runs on batteries.  This is small yet packs enough W for a small venue and jamming.

I used this mobile setup for two years and it is vastly superior IMO to anything from Casio.

I assume you mean the Boss Katana Mini (I think that's the only one that runs on batteries). I'd still go for the CT-S500, though. Yeah, it's 10.4 lbs., so Kross beats it on weight, though not when you factor the amp into any travel aspect, plus then you have to factor in added setup (find a place to put the amp, run the cable)... remember, one of the goals here is to approach "the instant convenience of an acoustic guitar in a keyboard." If you've got batteries in the Casio, it's literally 4 seconds from when you hit the power button until you can start playing, 

Which reminds me, I neglected to mention, the Casios run on battery, as do the Liano, CK61, and EK50 mentioned. Numa Compact 2 series does not.

Back to the Kross, besides the speakers, the Casio also has advantages of a better action, keytar pegs (for not having to bring a stand to a jam), and sounds not cutting off when you change from one to another, and its lower price may make it a better choice from the "not be too precious about it getting damaged" perspective. Kross has a lot more in the way of deeper capabilities, of course, and I like that it has banks of 16 buttons for patch changing instead of banks of 4 and it has a more informative screen for navigating your customized sounds/combinations, though OTOH, some of the more basic things you need to do are easier on the Casio. (As for those deeper capabilities, for the casual jam-sofa-camping purposes at hand, I don't think things like sequencer, MIDI functionalities, full sound editing, and 16-way splits and layers matter much... and he's already got other boards that can do those things when needed for other purposes. That might also skew the decision compared to someone looking for something as their only board, someone for whom the board needs to handle a lot more than the casual jam-sofa-camping stuff.)

29 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Michael goes over the CTS400 here. Advertised price is $249. Not sure yet what they shaved off the 500.  

Differences I see right away: bluetooth adapter is optional instead of included; no 1/4" outs; no DSP button; removal of the three definable knobs.

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

2 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

I assume you mean the Boss Katana Mini (I think that's the only one that runs on batteries). I'd still go for the CT-S500, though. Yeah, it's 10.4 lbs., so Kross beats it on weight, though not when you factor the amp into any travel aspect, plus then you have to factor in added setup (find a place to put the amp, run the cable)... remember, one of the goals here is to approach "the instant convenience of an acoustic guitar in a keyboard." If you've got batteries in the Casio, it's literally 4 seconds from when you hit the power button until you can start playing, 

Which reminds me, I neglected to mention, the Casios run on battery, as do the Liano, CK61, and EK50 mentioned. Numa Compact 2 series does not.

Back to the Kross, besides the speakers, the Casio also has advantages of a better action, keytar pegs (for not having to bring a stand to a jam), and sounds not cutting off when you change from one to another, and its lower price may make it a better choice from the "not be too precious about it getting damaged" perspective. Kross has a lot more in the way of deeper capabilities, of course, and I like that it has banks of 16 buttons for patch changing instead of banks of 4 and it has a more informative screen for navigating your customized sounds/combinations, though OTOH, some of the more basic things you need to do are easier on the Casio. (As for those deeper capabilities, for the casual jam-sofa-camping purposes at hand, I don't think things like sequencer, MIDI functionalities, full sound editing, and 16-way splits and layers matter much... and he's already got other boards that can do those things when needed for other purposes. That might also skew the decision compared to someone looking for something as their only board, someone for whom the board needs to handle a lot more than the casual jam-sofa-camping stuff.)

Differences I see right away: bluetooth adapter is optional instead of included; no 1/4" outs; no DSP button; removal of the three definable knobs.

Good eye as always. CTS500 is worth its $379 price point. Compare to Yamaha PSR-E473. 

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

1 hour ago, ElmerJFudd said:

CTS500 is worth its $379 price point. Compare to Yamaha PSR-E473. 

I briefly had a PSR-E425 (the 76 key version of the PSR-E473)... I found the CT-S500 to be FAR better. I intend to post about that some time.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

CT-S500 also has an expression pedal input. Sound wise, the CT-S500 has a larger sample set which includes more vintage keyboard sounds (Mellotrons, String Machines and some vintage Casio stuff too). The DSP editing in particular is powerful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

I have a Casio S1. It's the true couch piano. Lotsa fun. Lightweight. Runs on batteries. I put the guitar strap on it to hold it on my lap. No stand or table needed. Onboard speakers are about as loud as acoustic guitar. If you want louder, like when there is an electric guitar, you'll need additional outboard speaker. 

• Like 2
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

I had a Casio CT-S1000V and enjoyed playing it. Here are links to a few of my blog posts about it:

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/casio-ct-s1000v-first-impressions/
http://sandsoftwaresound.net/casio-ct-s1000v-observations/
http://sandsoftwaresound.net/casio-ct-s1000v-quick-tips/
http://sandsoftwaresound.net/casio-ct-s1000v-drawbar-organ-tones/
http://sandsoftwaresound.net/casio-ct-s1000v-about-them-effects/
http://sandsoftwaresound.net/casio-ct-s1000v-more-tips/

The S500 is essentially the same board, leaving out the voice synthesis stuff.

I sold the CT to my piano-playing partner. His daughter loved it, too, and it seemed like the right thing to do -- give it another home.

I owned and played a PSR-E443 some years ago, and I would rate the CT-S500 above the Yamaha E-series for sounds. The styles not so much. If I need a small battery powered external speaker, I play through a Bose Soundlink Color II.

Hope this helps -- pj

• Like 2

For a couch piano, I really went on the cheap:

https://www.casio.com/us/electronic-musical-instruments/product.CT-S200RD/

Dig the handle for carrying it around the house. Had the far superior CT-S500 been out then, I would have got one. More than a just couch piano, the CT-S500 might even be able to get you through a wedding gig, in a pinch.

• Like 2

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Another vote for CT-S500.  Great couch keyboard with enough pro options (1/4” outputs, volume pedal, multi effects, splits, etc) and very good sounds that you really could get through a lot of gigs with it.  Also the best unweighted “compromise” key action for playing piano that i have used on any keyboard regardless of price.  (Note that this is a different consideration than best pure unweighted keyboard for non-piano …which I would probably give to something like Kronos 61).  The best $350 I’ve spent. 

• Like 2

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

13 hours ago, Sam Mullins said:

Another vote for CT-S500.  Great couch keyboard with enough pro options (1/4” outputs, volume pedal, multi effects, splits, etc) and very good sounds that you really could get through a lot of gigs with it.  Also the best unweighted “compromise” key action for playing piano that i have used on any keyboard regardless of price.  (Note that this is a different consideration than best pure unweighted keyboard for non-piano …which I would probably give to something like Kronos 61).  The best $350 I’ve spent. 

Well, I've got the Roland Go:Keys on evaluation, and have ordered the Casio CT-S500 for evaluation also.

My first impression of the Go:Keys - I love the form factor, and it could well become a design classic. Don't laugh - nobody foresaw the VL-tone's  collectability. That said, I can see exactly what critics of the board mean.

I'm not too sure about the action, and agree it's far too firm, but I can understand why they've done this. Action is a deal breaker, and I got rid of a Nord Electro 5 73HP for this very reason. Could I get used to it? Not sure. 

Sounds are great, but too many of the features are hidden beneath menus. As for accompaniment backings. Not massively impressed. If I ever needed backings, it would be swing beats, latin and rock. There's 1 latin beat that I could make use of. 

Speakers - rather muffled and middly. I used the bluetooth to play 'Anyone Out There' by Duran Duran (my go to track for testing speakers).

After hearing how highly spoken of the S500 is, I'm looking forward to testing it out side by side the Go:Keys.

Yamaha YC73

Korg Kronos2 61

Yamaha CP88

Roland Jupiter 8

Roland JX3P

Roland D50

Interesting topic and suggestions guys. I am also keeping tabs on this for the future.

How would you compare the CT-S500 and the CK61 in terms of

1) keyboard action quality

2) speakers - clarity and overall volume

Both can run on batteries and will need external amplification to be really good. From what I understand the CK sounds better, but the Casio has on board rhythms / drum machine. Not sure how good are the drum patterns...

• Like 1

Catch me on YouTube for 200 IQ piano covers, musical trivia quizzes, tutorials, reviews and other fun stuff...

https://www.youtube.com/p1anoyc

3 hours ago, Chummy said:

How would you compare the CT-S500 and the CK61 in terms of

1) keyboard action quality

I'd say both are above average (e.g. better than Korg Kross or Roland Juno DS). CK61 is more even in resistance as you move toward the back of the key, and doesn't push back as much after you've landed (though Casio's action is still better than some other actions in both of these respects). OTOH CK61 (like all non-hammer Yamahas) has keys that are narrower than usual. CK61 has an initial resistance that gives way when you pass a certain point (similar to piano escapement)... whether that's better or not is debatable... one might feel differently about that depending on the sound you're playing.

ETA: Also, the Casio keys are textured, the Yamaha keys are "glossy."

For whatever reason, while I find both decently playable overall, I generally prefer the Casio feel.

3 hours ago, Chummy said:

2) speakers - clarity and overall volume

Out of the box, I'd say Casio is louder, but Yamaha has a menu option to boost its volume. But you have to use it with caution, since depending on your choice of sounds and EQ you may apply, you might regret pushing that volume too high. One notable difference here might be the fact that the Casio speakers project upward while the Yamaha speakers project outward (away from the player). So your reaction to the speakers may also vary depending on whether you are in playing position vs. audience position.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chummy said:

From what I understand the CK sounds better, but the Casio has on board rhythms / drum machine. Not sure how good are the drum patterns...

I would  add that although the main keyboard sounds (piano, e-piano) are better on the CK, there are categories of sounds that are better on the Casio, e.g. electric bass.  

• Like 1

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Roland : Go 61 key version looks perfect. Where was this when I needed an all-in-one in my hotel room hundreds of years ago?

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, Invisible keyboard stand (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

1 hour ago, Sam Mullins said:

I would  add that although the main keyboard sounds (piano, e-piano) are better on the CK, there are categories of sounds that are better on the Casio, e.g. electric bass.  

Out of the box, I actually prefer the Casio piano... though there are more options to tweak the sound of the Yamaha (or at least do so more easily). But to the bigger point, I agree, each has some sounds that are better than what's on the other.