Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Recommendations for online B-3 lessons?

I snagged a Mojo dual-manual off Reverb.  Shoulda done this ages ago!  

I've been playing keys, 95% self-taught, for a long, long time.  Like most self-taught folks, I have huge gaps in my training.  I'd like to brush up on and advance my skills on organ - been a Jimmy Smith fan since the 60s, especially his collabs with Kenny Burrell.  Also like Medeski et al, Booker T, and the other assorted Jimmys and Lonnies on the Hammond.   

I've been looking at Tony Monaco's Youtube channel.  Thinking about trying his $14 per month Hammond class.

Anyone here taken his classes?  Or any others to recommend?  I don't need to start from scratch, but I don't mind revisiting the basics as long as there's more advanced material to challenge me and move me along.  

My goal - oh, besides playing parts for my self-recorded songs and such, I would like to, if possible, get to the level that I could hold my own in a local B-3 trio or quartet.  Nothing too out there, not looking to book Carnegie Hall - just some Home Cookin' as it were - jazzy blues and standards mostly for the locals.

nat

For jazz I was going to say Tony Monaco. For blues or soul, I don't know. Nobody seems to have anything that useful online other than some useful tips by Mike Little and a few others,, but nothing that answers my many questions. Plenty of gospel like modern black church praise break stuff which I like but doesn't help at all playing blues or soul in a club band. You almost have to get in a band and carve it out yourself. 

FunMachine.

tony monaco without a doubt is the best.

his school gives you access to his group class recordings, with two new long videos added every week and literally hundreds of lessons in the archive.

lessons cover blues, jazz, pop and funk.

you can try it free or for very small amount for 3 days so don't waste time here, what are you waiting for?

the Joey lessons are good to, but not as helpful as Tony's format.

• Like 1
hang out with me at woody piano shack

TonyMonaco is great. Definitely worth checking out. Another great player and excellent teacher is Frank Montis, Dutch player who can covers all aspects and genres of Hammond. https://hammondlessons.com. Do a search on the form for Hammond/b3 lessons as the question gets asked a lot and there are multiple threads on it. 

Yamaha MODX8, Legend Live.

For some FREE and excellent "quick hits" for licks and tips on a Hammond, also check out the videos on youtube posted by:

* Mike Little -- "Universe of Keys"

* Nick Foley UK -- "Hammond For Hire"

Others may offer better courses, yes; but the price is right on those, and the quality is typically very, very good.

Old No7

• Like 1

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

I really like Wil Blades’ Tutorial Tuesdays on Instagram, and I believe he has a Patreon with more in-depth videos and lessons.

I would highly recommend finding a B3 player in your area and having an in-person lesson if possible, just to supplement whatever other information you get online. It’s a physical instrument and watching someone play it in real-time meatspace is invaluable.

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.