Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP Jim Beard...

I'm deeply saddened to see Jim Beard has passed away. He was a huge influence on me when I started getting into instrumental music and jazz, and has been a productive member of the music community for many years.

For those of You who do not know him, here are two clips;

"Diana", featuring Toots Thielemans

"Camieff"

Jim Beard, 26 August 1960 - 4 March 2024. 

Song of the Sun (CTI, 1990)

Lost at the Carnival (Lipstick, 1994)

Truly (Escapade, 1997)

Advocate (JVC Victor, 1999)

Revolutions (Intuition, 2008)

Show of Hands (Sunnyside, 2013)

"Chunks and Chairknobs" (Jazzline, 2019)

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

Very sad news. He was a great artist and I really liked his writing. 
Beard recounted that in his time as a student of George Shearing, his teacher shared his enthusiasm for Weather Report. 

Less than a decade ago he was touring with Steely Dan. RIP Mr. Jim Beard.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I bought his Song of the Sun album back in the 90's and really enjoyed it - great playing, really nice songs and arrangements - he just seemed to come at things from a different angle. RIP...

• Like 3

Can someone post a source? Can’t find anything online; I’m guessing it’s on FB, but I’m not there. I knew him a bit and even took a couple lessons with him. Sad news, if true. 

FYI. I went back and forward with Jim 3-years ago about discussing the who "Sun Of The Sun" period, the album, the film etc. Obviously I deeply regret not following through now.

If you have not seen it, I've converted and upscaled the video while preserving the original digital soundtrack.

++Mark. 

https://ctproduced.com

• Love 1

Since "Song Of The Sun" didn't get much promotion, I've added a little more commentary and background in the following.

Jim Beard and the Keyboard In the Sky – Creed Taylor Produced (ctproduced.com)

https://www.ctproduced.com/jim-beard-and-the-keyboard-in-the-sky/

Today also marks the anniversary of Wes Montgommery's birthday, I published an interview from just before he died that shows where Wes was in terms of the "gone commercial" criticism.

Thumb Produces Green for Wes Montgomery – Creed Taylor Produced (ctproduced.com)

https://www.ctproduced.com/thumb-produces-green-for-wes-montgomery/

On 3/5/2024 at 4:56 PM, tapes said:

Can someone post a source? Can’t find anything online; I’m guessing it’s on FB, but I’m not there. I knew him a bit and even took a couple lessons with him. Sad news, if true. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/music-news/jim-beard-dead-steely-dan-1235844833/

Saw him several times touring with Steely Dan, backing up Donald Fagan on keyboards.. RIP

• Like 1
:nopity:

Really saddened by this....can´t really believe it...just some weeks ago I was trying to get a friend hip to him and went thru a lot of YT-clips featuring him...

Fantastic keyboard player and composer. I really like his solo albums. He was also one of Zawinul´s (few) favorites

Saw him live 3 times in Sweden, first time with Scofield´s "Blue Matter" band in 87...still to this day the most intense gig I´ve ever seen...

Then with Wayne Shorter and the last time I think it was with Victor Bailey. The last time I had a chance to talk to him...very humble guy.

RIP Maestro and thank you for all the music!

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

On 3/5/2024 at 8:08 PM, ProfD said:

Less than a decade ago he was touring with Steely Dan. RIP Mr. Jim Beard.😎

It was actually less than two months ago....last gig he did with them was January 20 in Phoenix...

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Some really fantastic Rhodes soloing on this track! "Trip" from the album Ad-vo-cate, (1999)

I've been recently getting really re-interested in this whole Y2K era of jazz, when a lot of artists combined drum loops and electronics with improvisation, so I have to check this out!

He also played on Victor Bailey's (R.I.P.) 1989 album Bottom's Up. I've always loved the track "In The Hat", even though Jim is more in a supporting role obviously. Such a killer tune. Sounds weatherreportish, but not really.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tapes said:

Some really fantastic Rhodes soloing on this track! "Trip" from the album Ad-vo-cate, (1999)

I've been recently getting really re-interested in this whole Y2K era of jazz, when a lot of artists combined drum loops and electronics with improvisation, so I have to check this out!

He also played on Victor Bailey's (R.I.P.) 1989 album Bottom's Up. I've always loved the track "In The Hat", even though Jim is more in a supporting role obviously. Such a killer tune. Sounds weatherreportish, but not really.

I was listening to Devil's Advocate yesterday and this exact Rhodes solo. I believe though, he was as good an all around keys player/sound designer as he was a soloist in a purely jazz way. That's why he was so busy playing with many greats on the jazz and pop world. 

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

Watching that interview, YT offered me this.  I sadly, didn't follow him much after Song of the Sun. He definitely left his stamp on music.  That little music idea he uses in a lot of his compositions (ba-da ba-da, ba-da, ba-da ...) IMHO is unique in its simplicity and I can't say I ever noticed in any other artist.

• Love 1

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

On 3/9/2024 at 4:07 PM, 16251 said:

Watching that interview, YT offered me this.  I sadly, didn't follow him much after Song of the Sun. He definitely left his stamp on music.  That little music idea he uses in a lot of his compositions (ba-da ba-da, ba-da, ba-da ...) IMHO is unique in its simplicity and I can't say I ever noticed in any other artist.

Yeah exactly....my favorite "ba-da ba-da" is this one....I wore out this album....I even told him (and sang this "ba-da ba-da" for him) how much I loved this tune

• Love 1

Arthur Schopenhauer

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, 16251 said:

Randomly found this clip. Jim's solo starts around the 6 minute mark.

Great Solo!    Also great tune and album,  "Loud Jazz".  This was one of the first Jazz CDs I purchased back in the 80s.  

OT but a nice FYI:  Rob Aries (our great guy in the forum here, Reezekeys) played keyboards on the Album. 

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3