Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Harry Styles

I'm not marking this OT because, even though Styles is not really a keyboard player, he's putting out some of the most keyboard-forward material in decades. I'm actually surprised his modern-tracks-using-vintage-synths hasn't garnered more discussion here. Not to mention, he's writing some of the most interesting melodic pop of our age. If you last knew him as One-fifth of a Direction, and like to hear "our" soundworld featured affectionately and unironically, check him out sometime...

• Like 2

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

I appreciate the synth usage. I don't really talk about his stuff much, but that's because I just don't click with his songwriting, and never really have (at least post-1D). It's not objectively bad or anything...it's just not what I enjoy. I will say there's some interesting, less conventional production work on his last few albums though. I feel like he definitely leans into the more experimental/creative side a bit when it comes to production, even if the instruments are a lot of synth and acoustic tracks. That aspect is cool. I find there are quite a number of artists where I don't really care for the genre or songwriting style, but can learn a lot from the production side. Styles of one of those artists.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

5 hours ago, analogika said:

That cover of Sledgehammer sounds sadly like a pretty okay cover band version of somebody trying to do the recording. But man, those vocals are really great! Just terrific. 

Um, rest of the song aside, I doubt many "cover bands" have a drummer like Sarah Jones. She is "grade A-list" badass.

1 hour ago, D. Gauss said:

Um, rest of the song aside, I doubt many "cover bands" have a drummer like Sarah Jones. She is "grade A-list" badass.

Not knocking the players. It just feels like an imitation of the studio production, but it's got that cover band uncanny valley-feel. Partly because of the horns. 

It's all super good, but the only part of it that feels "authentic" to me is Styles himself. 

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

11 hours ago, AROIOS said:

Love the first song, thanks for the share. It sounds like John Mayer joining with Squeeze.

There's a lot to like there - it's not loop-based, and I hear a fair bit of McCartney's influence (particularly in the pre-chorus). Deduct points for pitch-correction - this is a "bottom-of-a-wine-glass" lament, in the tradition of "Lush Life". It shouldn't be glossy. 

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 1

I'm a big fan of his song Sign Of The Times, great synth orchestrations and arrangements, and just a good song lyrically. I need to do a deep dive of his work but indeed he's an answer to all of the "newer music" naysayers.

• Like 3

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, Invisible keyboard stand (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

11 hours ago, Franz Schiller said:

I don't know what you guys are talkin' `bout...that version of Sledgehammer sounds super tasty to me. They totally nailed the feel, which is arguably the most important part.

Clinical. 

Here for the gear.

13 hours ago, D. Gauss said:

I beg to differ. There were many cover band drummers throughout my band-playing years who easily could have played with major acts. And certainly could have done what's she's doing in that video in their sleep. There are a lot of excellent players of all instruments out there who will never make it big.

• Like 1

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

OT, but I'm wondering if Styles is ever going to get the chance to play Eros, brother of Thanos, in a movie, as was teased in the post-credit scene from 'Eternals'. He definitely wants to follow the Justin Timberlake path of being in movies along with his music career.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Maybe Harry Styles will be the Super Bowl halftime entertainment next year.😁 😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

17 hours ago, ProfD said:

Maybe Harry Styles will be the Super Bowl halftime entertainment next year.😁 😎

I could easily see him being part of a Super Bowl with a compilation of artists.

• Like 1

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, Invisible keyboard stand (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

1 minute ago, kpl1228 said:

I could easily see him being part of a Super Bowl with a compilation of artists.

Agreed.  Along the lines of the sentiment Rick Beato expressed in video, because fewer artists have a body of work with several hit songs, I believe future Super Bowl halftime shows will consist of packaged artists running through a medley of their songs.😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"