Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Michael Omartian with Beato

1 hour ago, jazzpiano88 said:

Excellent and fascinating interview!  

This was hilarious (relaying a question to him at a seminar):

”Mr. Omartian I have a question”

”Yes?”

”I don’t like Steely Dan”.  

If you can't find *anything* to like about Steely Dan, you're not trying hard enough. 

Cheers, Mike.

I’d pay for an hour+ long dive into just “Aja” with Michael…

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2

Omar talking about how Steely Dan's most famous recording (Rikki) is actually "Country", and demonstrating with the piano and guitar tracks.

"Did Donald know he was recording a Country Tune?" 

And Omar explains that his particular style is probably why they moved away from more organic country / Keith style in favor of Victor Feldman. 

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Meanwhile, as Peter Cetera can't play anymore, and Omar effortlessly bangs out his Steely Dan parts, he reflects on their collaboration.

DX1 Strings on "Next Time I Fall..."

Peter fires Omar for "not enough sales"

Ok, I'll quit now, but Michael is one of my heros.

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Big fan of Michael Omartian here.  Bought a couple of his albums in the 80s.   Omartian Odyssey in particular was quite mind blowing.

Y'all probably know he did most of the arranging for Billy Joel's Piano Man album.

• Like 1

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Michael Omartian drops enough jewels in that interview to give DeBeers a run for the money.

Any musician would benefit from listening  to his wisdom from the time he spent working with their favorite artists and musicians to making records and/or having any parts of the music industry/business.

Another priceless interview. Beato is mining gold and diamonds.😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

The whole "string into to Sailing" story was related in the Christopher Cross interview, but Omartian goes into it in more depth here. 

For those who haven't seen either, basically they were syncing two multi track machines, and the sync box somehow misfired and started the string part that we now know as the intro in the intro. But the part was meant to be much later in the song. Happy accident! I can't imagine it any other way....

I really enjoyed this interview, especially Omartian's early years.  Their memories of the late 1970s and early 1980s were special too - that was a rich time in terms of technology's forward momentum.  Electric guitars, keyboards and drums were enhanced and it was so audible on the radio.  Things were changing.

Steve Coscia

One of the more interesting things to me that Omartian mentioned was that he went over to their houses before the sessions to work out parts and stuff. So it sounds like, at least for the main cats - keys, bass, guitar and drums -  they had some time to look over charts and not have to see them for the first time when they walked into the studio for the session. It makes them seem a bit more human? But just a bit...still super-human in my book....

9 hours ago, zxcvbnm098 said:

One of the more interesting things to me that Omartian mentioned was that he went over to their houses before the sessions to work out parts and stuff. So it sounds like, at least for the main cats - keys, bass, guitar and drums -  they had some time to look over charts and not have to see them for the first time when they walked into the studio for the session. It makes them seem a bit more human? But just a bit...still super-human in my book....

For sure! He also described the process in the studio, though. It sounded like for the most part it was lead sheets, chord charts, and the player was expected to come up with the part on those. And of course, like in the case of "Ride Like The Wind", they could change the parts.

As a composer / producer, you really are trusting the session guys' talent(s) to nail the record in a situation like that. I'm so nit-picky with my parts that I would just write everything out anyway 😄 Maybe if I had the "N.Y / L.A. dream team" from back in the day, I could've relaxed a bit...

Also, those huge albums had big budgets and heaps of studio time, so it's not like you always had like a single take within two hours to nail "Aja" or something. 😄 ...although I guess those situations happened, too.

It's so funny, though. Steely Dan is possibly one of my all-time favorite "bands", but as you do, you sometimes end up not listening to those as much as you used to. Then when that Shorter / Gadd section kicks in once again after months or even years - man. Moved to tears. And Wayne's solo (overdub) was the first take, I believe, but I could be wrong (according to Wiki he did three or four). And completely improvised over just the changes, without hearing the rest of the tune. And how great is "Rikki", by the way! Definitely not just a pop song that rips off Horace Silver.

I had a similar reaction to watching the Andy Summers interview from a while back, when Beato played him "Roxanne". You somehow end up appreciating the songs more.

On 2/9/2024 at 2:25 AM, Bobadohshe said:

Can't wait to listen. His piano solo on 'Sailing' was my ticket into his genius long ago.

For me it's the strings intro (well, that mishap). Wow.

His "country style" piano playing on "Aja" is pretty unique, too! Whenever people dare to cover that tune, they better nail Omartian's part as well.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, tapes said:

Also, those huge albums had big budgets and heaps of studio time, so it's not like you always had like a single take within two hours to nail "Aja" or something. 😄 ...although I guess those situations happened, too.

Here is Lenise Bent talking about recording Aja.  A couple of highlights:

- Warner Bothers threatened to shut down the recording and mix it themselves after taking so long, so Lenise kept the masters in her car between sessions. 
- Donald took 4 days to record “Well the” vocal on Home At Last.  
- The guys were serious as a heart attack. 

• Love 1

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

On 2/20/2024 at 3:45 AM, tapes said:

Then when that Shorter / Gadd section kicks in once again after months or even years - man. Moved to tears. And Wayne's solo (overdub) was the first take, I believe, but I could be wrong (according to Wiki he did three or four). And completely improvised over just the changes, without hearing the rest of the tune.

Shorter did six passes according to record promoter Dick LaPalm.  

https://www.jazzwax.com/2011/07/how-steely-dan-got-wayne-shorter.html

The wiki mentions that he received the chart in advance and sat at a piano working out scales  - which to me sounds typical of any professional musician - get the chart, prep, don't just go in cold.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, zxcvbnm098 said:

The "suits" would have been from ABC or maybe MCA, but not Warner Bros. 

Good Catch!   That changes everything!! 😂

Seriously though, basic research, shows that yes, it was ABC, but they had been wanting out of ABC for a long time over touring disputes, etc, and had signed with WB during or slightly before the Aja recordings, which then set off a whole series of lawsuits.    Can't fault Lenise for the mis speak.   

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

24 minutes ago, jazzpiano88 said:

Good Catch!   That changes everything!! 😂

Seriously though, basic research, shows that yes, it was ABC, but they had been wanting out of ABC for a long time over touring disputes, etc, and had signed with WB during or slightly before the Aja recordings, which then set off a whole series of lawsuits.    Can't fault Lenise for the mis speak.   

No, of course not. But having worked for two of the three labels, I can say without a doubt that that sort of behavior would NOT have happened from WBR. They were a very artist driven label, and that was not the kind thing they would try to strong arm. MCA on the other hand? Especially at that time they were known for being the opposite...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, zxcvbnm098 said:

No, of course not. But having worked for two of the three labels, I can say without a doubt that that sort of behavior would NOT have happened from WBR. They were a very artist driven label, and that was not the kind thing they would try to strong arm. MCA on the other hand? Especially at that time they were known for being the opposite...

Interesting!  I've read that after ABC went bankrupt and was bought by MCA,  Steely Dan was hoping not to be held to their ABC deal in the face of their new WB contract.  

Some people question why WB wouldn't just buy it out from MCA given the value.   Maybe it wasn't for sale -- smart given the sales of Gaucho :).

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

On 2/20/2024 at 1:19 AM, jazzpiano88 said:

Here is Lenise Bent talking about recording Aja.  A couple of highlights:

- Warner Bothers threatened to shut down the recording and mix it themselves after taking so long, so Lenise kept the masters in her car between sessions. 
- Donald took 4 days to record “Well the” vocal on Home At Last.  
- The guys were serious as a heart attack. 

6 hours ago, jazzpiano88 said:

Interesting!  I've read that after ABC went bankrupt and was bought by MCA,  Steely Dan was hoping not to be held to their ABC deal in the face of their new WB contract.  

Some people question why WB wouldn't just buy it out from MCA given the value.   Maybe it wasn't for sale -- smart given the sales of Gaucho :).

Correct....no way MCA would let one of their few top-selling acts leave the fold. MCA was a hot mess from '79-'83 or so....everyone on the label wanted off.