Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Studiologic SL88 studio vs Yamaha KX88?

My 60 lb, boat anchor, 80's relic, yamaha KX88 still serves faithful piano controller duties in the studio. Just found a Studiologic SL88 studio for cheap that I might consider for sessions where gear has to be moved along. Any insight on how the actions compare?

I had an SL88 and found the board ok to play but it was light and quite noisy, especially the black keys. Never played a KX88, but imagine it’s built like a tank.

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

Yeah, I'd really love to find a light, inexpensive alternative to the K88 beast piano controlling duties.  I'll still keep the K88 around 'cause lots of my clients love it, but some sessions require a lot of gear moving within a cramped, confined studio space, while the clock is running, and my old back ain't up for that anymore. ;) 

I could never get used to the TP/100 LR action on either the SL73 or the Arturia KeyLab 88 I had. The action hurt my hands and wrists. If your customers still like the Yamaha, can you make it easier to transport around the studio? Wheeled stand / table, etc? 

• Like 1

Here for the gear.

11 minutes ago, drawback said:

I could never get used to the TP/100 LR action on either the SL73 or the Arturia KeyLab 88 I had. The action hurt my hands and wrists. If your customers still like the Yamaha, can you make it easier to transport around the studio? Wheeled stand / table, etc? 

It's on wheels, but the space is VERY small. ... 11.5'x14'.  For the type of session I'm talking about, all crammed into that space are the keys, full drumset, studio gear, many microphones, and 4 bodies, plus geetars and basses.  I'm not gonna throw a ton of money at this since it isn't an everyday thing (the SL88 i found is 100 bucks), but i figured there's gotta be a decent piano action keyboard made since 1985 that holds up to the KX88 that can be found for cheap?  Any thoughts on the px-350?  Found one of those for super cheap, too.   

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, D. Gauss said:

(the SL88 i found is 100 bucks),

Any thoughts on the px-350?  Found one of those for super cheap, too.   

At 100 buckeroos id think itd be worth taking the chance and if it didnt work out flogging it off.

Re the PX350. I have a PX330 which i love the action. Ok maybe the 350 is slightly different as its more recent perhaps equivalent to the PX5s but not much different.

I really think the PX5s pretty close to the 330 so a 350 should equate to a PX5s. The 5s can get a bit noisey / clacky they say but my 330 has not become noisey. Its been a blessing but i wished it had longer sustain on acoustic pianos. I believe a 350 rectifys the sustain limitation

I recently picked up a Casio CDP200 as a spare board in the house which i enjoy playing.  It was introduced a year after the flagship 330 as a cheaper piano in the range and is believed to have the earlier 300 - 320 feel????

One of our very knowledeable forumites prefers the 300 - 320 feel (He has huge experience with different boards which i respect his knowledge).  I had i think the 300 originally and loved it but i must say when i got the 330 to replace the early 300 i felt no real difference or i cant remember feeling a real difference as it was so long ago. So i feel comfortable on any casio privia.

To be honest any of these casios are nice feeling keyboards. Id feel more confident on pointing you to a casio i also feel more confident with its build quality

Edit:

SL88 is around 14kg i believe whereas my PX330 is 11.5 kg roughly and the CDP200 is 12 kg. Both have a pitch bend wheel but no modulation wheel

The Casio PX 330 or 350 was at least twice the price of a SL88 if you need another formulae for working out bang for cheap bucks

I used to have a KX88.   In my opinion, most half-decent Yamaha slab pianos, as far back as the P80 (which I also had), and P120 (which I also had), have similar actions to the KX88.  Not exactly the same, but similar.   Even the newer lower-cost slabs, like P-95 (which I had for a minute), and P-105 (which I'm selling, but not looking to ship it), have similar actions.    So my advice, try to find a Yamaha slab for cheap - one of the older ones should fit the bill.  A P-120 would probably be perfect - even has a great rhodes.   If you can find one of the older ones, I think they still had Midi din outputs (P120 for example, IIRC).   Some of the more expensive newer models (like P515) have Midi Din ports, but most of the newer less-expensive ones use USB for midi - don't know if that's a problem for you or not.

I had a P-515 for a minute, a couple of years ago - IIRC, the action was quite close to a KX88, maybe slightly better.   But that would probably be too expensive.

• 1 month later...

I've got a Casio 160, and a 560. I find the 160's action very comfortable and playable - able to play it for hours and not get fatigued. The 560's action - although Casio says it the same -  is very different. Not bad, but different...still very playable. I've used them both with virtual pianos, and they both work very well. Well worth a try...

I also have a couple KX88s...I haven't used them with any software pianos, but I do remember the action as being the best available at the time. But then again, memory lane is not a well lit road.

Glad I don't have to move them....

2 hours ago, skipeb3 said:

I've got a Casio 160, and a 560. I find the 160's action very comfortable and playable - able to play it for hours and not get fatigued. The 560's action - although Casio says it the same -  is very different. Not bad, but different...still very playable. I've used them both with virtual pianos, and they both work very well. Well worth a try...

I remember feeling some "looseness" in the keys, is that accurate?

I played a Studiologic SL88 for a long, long, time.  The action was heavy, sure, but when I dug in, it followed nicely,

I sold the SL88 and bought an Arturia Mk II 88 keys board.  Well, the old SL88 was sloppy and funky, where the Arturia is heavy and accurate.  

The Arturia is bringing out a lot of subtle touches in my playing that the SL88 just bulldozed over, no question.  But it is a heavy action.  I use a MIDI compressor to help me play within a certain velocity range - makes things much easier.  When I play on a, say, real acoustic Yammi C7, I can just fly as the action on the acoustic piano is much easier than on the MIDI controller. 

The thing is to find a keyboard that lets you FUNK with the fingers you got.  Cost is not an issue - feel is all there is to go on about.

nat

I had a Fatar Studio 900 from 1997-2010; I really liked it and at 45-46 pounds I imagine it would be more like a SL88 grand.

I tried out the Arturia MK88II and liked it, 

Had a PX350 and returned it as the speakers weren't loud enough but liked the sounds and feels.

I am almost conisdering getting a PX6000 or 5000 to use as a midi controller.