Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Joe Jackson still getting the Steppin' Out vibe

Cool video, Joe explaining the cheesy rhythm machine for the song. I was also impressed with the Electric Grand sound in Roland

<sidebar>  I heard this song when it first came out in 1982.  I was listening with headphones and was tripping on blotter for first time. :D

• Like 11

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

Love Joe Jackson!!    I remember playing this tune Steppin Out on piano in my first band.  But he leaves out the weird dry grace notes in the middle that appeared for no reason in the recording. :)     Jumpin Jive is also classic.

Plus, he sits as pianists should!! 😆

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

I saw Joe Jackson on his Night And Day tour in 1982 - great show and band. I’ve recently been thinking of that music, saw the above video and a few more - favourites include A Slow Song, and Breaking Us In Two. Thanks for the thread! 

Here for the gear.

I consider Joe Jackson to be one of the greatest composers of the 20th Century. He has done so many styles including extended orchestral works.

• Like 2

Gibson G101, Fender Rhodes Piano Bass, Vox Continental, RMI Electra-Piano and Harpsichord 300A, Hammond M102A, Hohner Combo Pianet, OB8, Matrix 12, Jupiter 6, Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, CS70M, CP35, PX-5S, WK-3800, Stage 3 Compact

Video is 5 years old, hope he is still going strong. I saw this tour at The Lincoln Theatre here in DC. 

12 hours ago, drawback said:

I saw Joe Jackson on his Night And Day tour in 1982 - 

Me too, Rod. I had front row center seats (one of the few times in my life). Best part was there were no guitars on stage for this tour. :keys2:

:nopity:

50 minutes ago, Doerfler said:

Video is 5 years old, hope he is still going strong.

He certainly is still going stong. He recently released an album of songs supposedly written by a long-forgotten music hall entertainer called Max Champion. He is touring the US in June and July, performing his own songs solo in the first half, followed by some Champion songs with a 9-piece band in the second half. Additional dates “to be confirmed, including Europe”.

• Like 1

I've loved Joe Jackson since the Look Sharp! album and have seen him several times...and played covers of his songs in various bands. JJ kicks ass!

I saw him do the drum machine routine a few years ago when he came through my town.

I appreciate this version by Tom Brislin, who I think (?) is part of the forum. I've met him a few times at NAMM. This is a fun one.

• Like 5

Great video.  I love that they used the original drum machine.  IIRC, the piano sound was a combination of Yamaha Electric Grand and acoustic piano (layered with the glock/xylo and Hammond, of course).  

I remember studying the studio pic on the lp with great fascination.  You can see the Korg Rhythm 55 if you look hard enough.

Joe-Jackson-Night-and-Day-inner.jpg

• Like 2

Always loved that tune, the piano voicings are just so cool! And I love the bit of stage shtick he does about the drum machine.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Hold up - If they plugged in the Korg Rhythm 55, where's the bass coming from? Certainly that Korg drum machine didn't have a sync jack, did it? Or was it just for show and the drums and bass are coming from a DAW or backing track?

It does have a trigger out, so it's possible it could be triggering another device.  But now you've "triggered" the conspiracy theorist in me.  When the tech comes on stage, you can see him plug the power in, the he plugs in what looks like a single cable....assuming audio out.  So it doesn't look like he plugged anything else in.  Then when the drummer hits the start button, it is a hair after we hear the audio.  So maybe there's an FOH guy starting the pattern and he's just trying to make it look good.  (in another angle of the vid, there's a laptop behind the drum machine).  Then, finally, he signals the downbeat of the first bass note....perhaps telling said FOH guy when to add the bass part.

On 1/23/2024 at 6:15 PM, cphollis said:

We currently do two JJ tunes in our band -- Look Sharp, Is She Really Going Out With Him, .  It always goes over well, and is a nice contrast to our other material.

I've played both of those songs for years in a few bands. The piano part in Look Sharp is really fun to play. I've also played Sunday Papers, One More Time, and Got the Time...essentially 50% of the Look Sharp! album.

1 hour ago, ABECK said:

It does have a trigger out, so it's possible it could be triggering another device.  But now you've "triggered" the conspiracy theorist in me.  When the tech comes on stage, you can see him plug the power in, the he plugs in what looks like a single cable....assuming audio out.  So it doesn't look like he plugged anything else in.  Then when the drummer hits the start button, it is a hair after we hear the audio.  So maybe there's an FOH guy starting the pattern and he's just trying to make it look good.  (in another angle of the vid, there's a laptop behind the drum machine).  Then, finally, he signals the downbeat of the first bass note....perhaps telling said FOH guy when to add the bass part.

I have a sneaky suspicion that the drum machine might be more for show and there's another source actually providing the rhythm and bass. I will need to watch that video again and seem to recall from the show I saw a few years ago that it looked a bit more like a stage prop...yet a fun one at that.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2024 at 7:17 PM, jazzpiano88 said:

I remember playing this tune Steppin Out on piano in my first band.  But he leaves out the weird dry grace notes in the middle that appeared for no reason in the recording. :) 

You mean those bleeps at 1:44?   I never noticed those before.   Yes, they are weird.   The unintended result of a tape splice, perhaps?

3 minutes ago, Floyd Tatum said:
On 1/21/2024 at 9:17 PM, jazzpiano88 said:

I remember playing this tune Steppin Out on piano in my first band.  But he leaves out the weird dry grace notes in the middle that appeared for no reason in the recording. :) 

You mean those bleeps at 1:44?   I never noticed those before.   Yes, they are weird.   The unintended result of a tape splice, perhaps?

Yeah, those are the ones.  I always figured they were intentional but quirky.

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2024 at 11:14 PM, drawback said:

I saw Joe Jackson on his Night And Day tour in 1982 - great show and band. 

found this video of the concert, professionally filmed while touring in Germany.  Look ma, no guitars, except for "Badger on P-Bass"

• Like 1
:nopity: