Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

If sponsored by one brand… what would you choose?

Let’s imagine you are a top pro keyboardist and you get sponsored by one brand that gives you the chance to pick three keyboards.

1. Which keyboard brand would you wish for?

2. Which 3 boards would you choose? 

For me?

I would pick Korg.

I would pick

- Nautilus 88

- SV2s 73

- Vox Continental 73

YMMV!

• Like 2

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

Roland:

• Fantom 8
  • Jupiter-80
  • VK-88

(You didn't say they had to be current boards. 😉

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4; IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

9 minutes ago, wineandkeyz said:

Roland:

• Fantom 8
  • Jupiter-80
  • VK-88

(You didn't say they had to be current boards. 😉

They don’t have to be!

If I had picked Kurzweil, a PC3a8 would’ve been in there! 

• Like 1

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

Yamaha for me too. 

1. Real CFX

2. Real U1/U3

2. Montage M8x

P.S. Taking in mind Bösendorfer are owned by Yamaha, I’d happily swap the montage for any Bösie and would go on stage with three real acoustic piano “patches” 🤣

Well I'd say Vintage Vibe, but they only make kind of keyboard.    So to be three I'll go Yamaha and request a YC88,  I think it's a U1 their full size upright, and one of their mixers.

I'm guessing this guy has done just that with Yamaha -- for real!    

Looks like he's chosen a Montage 6,  a YC61, and a CP88 (or that YC88 ?)

Probably what they've told him to 'promote' of course, but not a bad selection, IMHO...Sort of what I would have chosen :)

I see he's put the YC61 through a real Leslie though.....

https://youtu.be/gScT34vshEI?t=1913

Yamaha - YC61 - P105 - MOX6 - HC2 -- Neo Vent 2

That's like saying pretend you have the power of personal flight, but:

I'd probably say Nord simply because I've been so happy with the Stage 3 compact for live use.   And since I only use hardware live, I'd probably go:
Nord stage 4 compact
Nord stage 4 88
...and....I got nothin'....everything I do I can cover with that and certainly don't want to shlep any more.  Do roadies come with the deal?  if not, then maybe the drum thingie or whatever they have that is small.

I wouldn't mind doing Roland or Yamaha or a few others though! :) 

• Like 1

Oh wow, Dave. That looks like a beauty.

Orinda is just 15 minutes down the freeway from me, and the back story is very touching. 

I'm not sure if she's in a position to sponsor a part-time musician (in the spirit of this thread), however.

I was going to say "Depends," but as a long-time Korg adherent:

Triton Extreme w/MOSS expansion
Wavestate SE
Radias

"You seem pretty calm about all that."
 "Well, inside, I'm screaming.
    ~ "The Lazarus Project"

Roland. My live rig would consist of:

Fantom-7 on top of a V-Piano

AX-Edge on guitar stand off to the side, picked up and played occasionally, or not at all. :laugh:

• Like 1

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

If I had to do everything from one manufacturer, it would still be a Korg Kronos. If I only had to play products from the vendor where they have a competitive offering (meaning that since Yamaha doesn't have a full-fledged clone wheel I could still use my XK-5), Yamaha. If they nitpick and say "Stop whining and play organ on a YC" I guess I could maybe put a YC over the Montage M, but I would be tempted to go back to the Kronos.

Historically it would be Korg for me. Was my first synth brand and have always had something Korg in my rig since. Still the first brand I look out for.

Nowadays, not so sure with Nautilus as their flagship board and no update or replacement for the Grandstage. They have it nailed in the app department though and I still love their sound.

I like to mix my gear brands; Yamaha piano, Korg workstation, Roland synth….

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

I’m going to say Yamaha, and go with a Montage M8X, EX5, and VL1. Then use a clone wheel for organs and just tape the logo over I guess. This assumes I had a roadie to help with the M8X lol.

A close second might be Nord…in which case I’d do a Stage 4 88, Wave 2, and Lead A1.

If I did Korg, they’d have to dig in their archives a bit and get me a Kronos 2 88 Platinum (or the red burst special edition), Triton Studio 76, and an N264. With those all maxed out on expansions of course.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I have Kurzweil synths since 2004 and Kawai synths since 1999. Kawai had stop to produce synths for a long time so, Kurzweil...

• Like 1

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

10 hours ago, TJ Cornish said:

If I had to do everything from one manufacturer, it would still be a Korg Kronos. If I only had to play products from the vendor where they have a competitive offering (meaning that since Yamaha doesn't have a full-fledged clone wheel I could still use my XK-5), Yamaha. If they nitpick and say "Stop whining and play organ on a YC" I guess I could maybe put a YC over the Montage M, but I would be tempted to go back to the Kronos.

or do what daryl hall did when under contract with korg, use yamaha equipment but put tape over the name and model ....

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Excendrin . . . "be a candidate for no one"   - Llke everthing that is good and have a mixed bag of electronic gear ... I love and hate them all equally.... and each for different MFG's reasons and attributes ...

But probably Yamaha/Steinway Acoustic pianos and Hammond Organs.      

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

1 hour ago, Delaware Dave said:

or do what daryl hall did when under contract with korg, use yamaha equipment but put tape over the name and model ....

That’s the advantage of the Yamaha logo - it’s all straight lines, so with black tape and a careful hand applying white out you can make your own logo to put on any board. That darn O and G of KORG are way harder to copy.

Yamaha, because I seem to always seem to get a Yamaha though my heart is all Oberheim.

Must be the piano sounds.

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, Invisible keyboard stand (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

There isn’t a single company that covers what I want.  Maybe there used to be but the current offerings do not.   

Maybe Roland if they had replaced the VK-88

Maybe Korg if they still had the CX-3.  

But I really like the way Roland integrates the 404 sampler in its workstations and Korg SetList and I’m an organ player. 

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

If Korg updated their organs, maybe them.

Otherwise Yamaha or Nord. But since I can’t do cool, stylish jazz fusion wankery videos it probably wouldn’t be Nord since that’s all that they seem to promote with their endorsers.

If they did, though:

- Stage 4 (76)

- Stage 4 (SW73)

- Wave 2

If Yamaha:

-YC 61 OR 73

- Montage M6

- An Upright of some kind. I’d have to do a month of research/playtesting to decide. 

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

Hammond:

- SKpro-61

- SKXpro

- SK25 pedalboard 

or GSI/Crumar:

- Mojo 61

- Gemini rack module

- spinet pedalboard 

Actually I already own most of these, just not the Hammond pedalboard.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals