Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

who's playing a new years show ....

Sitting at home as I type this. Just had dinner and a bottle of wine with my wife. Listening to Seal’s first album at the moment. We got dumped on with a bunch of snow today and the road conditions are horrible. Glad to be sitting this one out. Be safe!

• Like 1

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Not since getting married 5 years ago.

I'd done many - and every one seemed like an abject waste of time the next day. 

Nowadays, spending the evening with my wife (even if it's a quiet one cause she's got a bad cold this year) is much better time spent than doing the NYE thing and not getting home until 3am.

• Like 1

Did one this year but definitely now have that “wish I was just able to stay home” feel about new year gigs. 

Setup was old school:

- Technics SX-P50

- Roland XV3080

- Roland KC150 (I know!!)

Nice Logic System for FOH. EV Mons. 

Does anyone else feel there is a post Covid reluctance to head out and gig or is it just old age in general?! 😂

• Like 1

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

No NYE gig this year and I’m fine with that.  In the last 5 NYE. I’ve played 2 and both were close to home, solo piano, great money and something like 6-9pm with plenty of time to get home or get to a neighbors party.  I’m fortunate to be picky about it and not have to chase the $$$.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Haven't gotten a call for a NYE gig in probably 8 - 10 years. Those are usually the purview of function ("club date" in NY-area parlance) bands so it's not surprising since I've been away from that scene that long. I wouldn't be opposed to doing a fun NYE gig with friends, playing music I like for a decent taste, but other than that staying home is preferable. I can be bought however!

• Like 1

I was playing - finishing a multi-day conference. Was on the road just after bar close. I escaped the city without incident, but the flashing lights make me sick knowing that a few people have made life alteringly bad decisions. Glad for my bed and hugs from family members!

• Like 1

We had one, at a VFW...which wasn't exactly crowded.  The people that were there seemed to love us so it was all good.  Very easy load-in which is also a plus.  it was outdoors and not exactly balmy but I came armed (fingered?) with fingerless gloves, a hand warmer and a few different vests/jackets/hats.  Not a problem, if anything the singer got too warm because they had an outdoor heater about 10 feet from the stage area :)   We probably didn't charge what we could/should have for NYE, but it was still 3 times more than our minimum gig amount.   

• Like 1

Yes, gig at our regular monthly venue, 7:30 to 11:00. Home by midnight, when the god damn fireworks went off less than  a hundred feet from my house, My poor dog was plastered against the back wall of the bathroom. petrified with fear. I'm a resolutely nonviolent person, but oh I had fantasies ... 

• Like 1
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

I must have been super tired and too zonked to hear them, but apparently there were a lot of loud fireworks in our neighborhood.  I'm on our facebook group (one of the few reasons I use that abomination) and two neighbors were going at it over fireworks and the effect they had on one's dogs....so you are not alone!

I'm over fireworks, have been for a long time.  Maybe part of that was working at Epcot where I could watch top-notch shows any night I chose to....

• Like 1

My little band that includes my wife did a gig at our favorite local spot. We were surprised and a bit concerned when they wanted us to go from 9pm - 1am. This is a sleepy little desert town where the sidewalk typically rolls up at 10pm but wow, did we ever have a great night; people hung around all night and were incredibly engaged and just having a blast!

We've only lived here for a couple of years and have been trying to break through. I think we're finally doing it and I knew we would, in this little town we pretty much leave the competition in the dirt.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

Played one with a band locally - it was a bash and 1/2!  Packed, people dancing, loving the band / music.  Classic rock.  I have to admit it was a lot of fun.

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512;  Apple iPad Pro (5th Gen, M1 chip);  Apple MacBook Pro 2021 (M1 Max chip).

I played one. I am enjoying them less and less, also.

• Like 1

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

I "retired" from NYE gigs at least ten years ago, after playing them every single year for 25+ years. There was an era, mostly in the '90s, when NYE parties were a big deal and everyone wanted to go to them. My original touring band would be on a lineup typically headlining after 2-3 other bands at these wild hotel parties. Then I went through a decade with the general business band, rotating amongst several country clubs, which were mostly lame parties, with good pay.

Decided to avoid NYE gigs and have kept that resolution now for at least ten years. I prefer to stay home and lay low.

• Like 2

This year was the third NYE in a row I've played at my favorite local venue, the owner is a friend of mine and a former pro-level soundguy, so the place has a terrific stage and sound system. Also, the drummer in my band is the chef there, and his food is awesome, he's a damn good drummer as well. Had a great show, capacity crowd all night, sound on stage was great, band played well, it was a good night all around. We will probably play here next year as well, as well as throughout the year.

Before this run, it'd been probably 10 years since my last NYE gig.

• Like 1

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Did a private party at a huge mansions in La Jolla. Giant tent on the tennis court and best $ I've ever had on a single gig. Slightly strange crowd but they loved us by the end. Load in down a few flights of soggy stairs...ooooof. But I will do anything for $$. 5 hour energy was my rocket fuel and I sailed on through until getting home at 2 AM.

• Love 1

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

1 hour ago, Dave Ferris said:

So glad I'm not coming up in these times, so bleak.

Thanks. 😭

I didn't play a NYE show--probably been 4 or 5 years since I have--but I did play New Years morning. It was an 11 AM thing, the roads were quiet to and from, deeply appreciative people, great experience all around!