Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A Piano With a Curved Keyboard Featured at Carnegie Hall

I dunno about the Apple Vision Pro, but if someone would like to simulate the physics of something like this, I am sure that a bit of work in Pianoteq 8 could get pretty damn close. Part of the fun of the plug-in is that you can do things like this without having to build a beautiful monstrosity like this one.

The hard part will be bending your MIDI controller.

mike

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

44 minutes ago, EscapeRocks said:

I've been working on getting my hands on one of the single wings from the PianoArc people.   Just because. ;)

spacer.png

Cool -- but get TWO of 'em -- and stand in the middle!!

And hey -- they're already red!!!

Old No7

• Cool 1

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

7 hours ago, jerrythek said:

Somewhat related: back in 1994 at Ensoniq we considered the physics of the body/hands and decided to angle the Pitch and Mod wheels. I always thought it was a good idea for longer keyboards. It didn't really catch on, though.

image.thumb.png.efa7639124b040b6269ae4e7fee761b7.png

I worked in music retail back when that keyboard came out. I liked it a lot and sold plenty of them. I liked the angled wheels. Made sense to me for an 88 note kbd. 

• Like 1

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

21 hours ago, jerrythek said:

Somewhat related: back in 1994 at Ensoniq we considered the physics of the body/hands and decided to angle the Pitch and Mod wheels. I always thought it was a good idea for longer keyboards. It didn't really catch on, though.

The Nords have both angled wheel and pitch stick.

10 hours ago, Radagast said:

Why stop there?

0E870021-47B0-4367-86C2-6DCE5917B44A.jpeg

….because it would take up WAY TOO MUCH stage real estate in most local venues.  (I believe it’s 6 feet in diameter.). Fine for stadiums, but I think that would be about it!  (Not to mention the transport, set-up and tear-down effort!)

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512.

2 hours ago, cassdad said:

….because it would take up WAY TOO MUCH stage real estate in most local venues.  (I believe it’s 6 feet in diameter.). Fine for stadiums, but I think that would be about it!  (Not to mention the transport, set-up and tear-down effort!)

And also...just why??

This is not a keyboard for the lactose-intolerant. 

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

7 hours ago, MathOfInsects said:

And also...just why??

This is not a keyboard for the lactose-intolerant. 

Well, frankly, simply for the novelty!  I can hear any local audience just oohing and aaawwwing were they to walk in and see such a keyboard.  I think it would really get some attention (if nothing else than for its novelty)!  But, again, no venue I'm currently playing in could spare such a large amount of real estate.  OK, yes, I need to play more stadiums...

• Like 1

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512.

On 12/3/2023 at 12:53 AM, Radagast said:

Why stop there?

0E870021-47B0-4367-86C2-6DCE5917B44A.jpeg

I'm also considering the duel wing setup.   I have different rigs for different types of venues.   We do a lot of festival/municipal style show during that season that could handle it.  However, have you priced out the full ARC with it's stand and case????   

• Like 1

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

14 hours ago, o0Ampy0o said:

Realistically the only audience who would comprehend its design would require an overhead camera or mirror. (Speaking of the full circle design).

They are usually set up at an angle, low in the front and high in the back, like a reverse mullet.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

On 12/3/2023 at 2:49 PM, MathOfInsects said:

And also...just why??

Just what I need to play "Roundabout", or...

Let's hear your ideas!

Old No7

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs