Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond MSolo

dfcas

Mammond Han Solo 

I like the concept.  I’ve always wondered why clone or synth devs wouldn’t focus more on pairing organ and synth sounds as a second tier instrument over an acoustic or weighted action digital piano.  

Priced close to an XK-1c?  Between a VR-09 or Korg Vox Continental? 

• Like 1

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I could get by with 49 keys (my L100p sports two 44 key keybeds).  They used lipped keys like the Korg CX3 used.  The price, probably more than we expect. Below is the owners manual which helps to understand what is under the hood.  No display, leslie not speed or ramp adjustable.  It is the latest version of their organ, so same as XK4 with the 9 contact system.

https://hammondorganco.com/msolo?fbclid=IwAR1g4FEc_mYnRweshT7NDTxD4Z8W0WCzNLNh-f-jkwqeiNbRzOpRukFhxpQ

Edit:. More videos here:.   https://hammondorganco.com/msolo-detail

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

“Who is the M-solo for? The working piano player who’d like the classic Hammond sound at his fingertips. The small studio where space is at a premium. The mobile musician who carries his studio around, and the keyboard player who wants the real-deal Hammond experience, with an eye on economy in space, weight and financial consideration.”

“Specs

Sound engine

• Tone-wheel organ (B-3)

MTWII (Modeled Tone Wheel II) sound engine, Polyphony: 61

Transistor organs (Vx, Farf, Ace)
Sampling sound engine, Polyphony: 96

String /vocal ensemble (Ens)
Sampling sound engine, Polyphony: 96

Polyphonic synthesizer (Syn)
Analog modeling sound engine, Polyphony: 8

Keyboard

49-note lightweight keyboard (with velocity)

Organs

Drawbars: 9 pitches

Organ types: 4 (B-3, Vx, Farf, Ace)

Percussion: buttons (ON. SOFT, FAST, THIRD)

String vocal ensemble

Voices: 7 (Male 16', Strings 16, Male 8', Female 8', Strings 8', Female
4', Strings
4')

Envelope: Attack, Release

Polyphonic synthesizer

Oscillator: Waveform (triangle, sawtooth, square, pulse), Sub-oscillator

Filter: LPF 24dB/oct

Modulator: LFO 1 (Delay Vibrato & Wah-Wah/PWM), EG 2 (filer, amplitude)

Effects

Tone wheel organ (B-3): Leslie, Vibrato & Chorus, Overdrive

Transistor organs (Vx, Farf, Ace): Leslle, Vibrato, Overdrive

Strings ensemble (Ens): Vibrato, Chorus

Polyphonic synthesizer (Syn): Delay Vibrato & Wah-wah/PWM, Chorus

Master: Delay/Reverb

Key map

• Octave. Transpose

Controllers

Leslie: Bypass, Stop, Fast

Pitch bend: Octave, Down, Up

Connection jacks

MIDI: MIDI IN. MIDI OUT

USB: TO HOST

AUDIO: LINE OUT(L/R), PHONES, AUX IN (with input level control)

CONTROL: EXPRESSION IN (with polarity switch), LESLIE FAST

Dimensions (width/depth/height)

731 x 274 x 85 mm (28-25/32 x 10-25/32 x 3-11/32 in)

Weight

3.6 kg (7 lb 15 oz)

Accessories

AC adaptor (AD3-1230-2P) x 1, Power cable“

From the initial look and quick glance at the owner's manual it appears that you can only get one organ registration, i.e., not set up separate lower and upper manual sounds to play, using another keyboard to play the lower manual sound. Is this correct? 

30 minutes ago, stoken6 said:

Sorry, help me understand: this is a... FOUR OCTAVE... clonewheel?

Cheers, Mike.

perhaps better to think of it as a desktop organ module with drawbars and all the controls., comes with a bonus 4 octave keyboard that is sufficient and convenient for casual players wanting some organ tones for comping.

for the serious organists, you can always midi it up, just like you would with a hammond sound module.

ps. were there not many very popular tonewheel hammonds with 4 octave manuals,  albeit two of them?

hang out with me at woody piano shack

1 hour ago, stoken6 said:

Sorry, help me understand: this is a... FOUR OCTAVE... clonewheel?

Cheers, Mike.

i'm a hammond purist but i get this concept. it's not geared toward the purist but there is a definite use for it.  it's not for me but there must be feedback that says there is a market for it especially outside the US where mass trans is used to get to many places, including gigs.

• Like 1

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

1 hour ago, konaboy said:

perhaps better to think of it as a desktop organ module with drawbars and all the controls., comes with a bonus 4 octave keyboard that is sufficient and convenient for casual players wanting some organ tones for comping.

for the serious organists, you can always midi it up, just like you would with a hammond sound module.

ps. were there not many very popular tonewheel hammonds with 4 octave manuals,  albeit two of them?

To be clear - I was gobsmacked, but I wasn’t criticising. Although if I were HS, I would have gone for 44 keys, like half an M3.

Cheers, Mike.

2 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Mammond Han Solo? 

This thread is winning over the other.  Theories on why? 

I wouldn't worry about it, as many players will have both an upper and lower board, so you can think of the two threads in that sense.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

18 minutes ago, Mark Schmieder said:

I wouldn't worry about it, as many players will have both an upper and lower board, so you can think of the two threads in that sense.

The logic in this is irrefutable and calms my anxiety greatly. Thank you for that.  😉

• Like 1

3 hours ago, konaboy said:

Lots of models had dual 44-note manuals. And while not having tonewheels, one of their first "simulated" portable tonewheel models was the X2, which has 49 keys. I believe it was built for them by Acetone (precursor to Roland).

1 hour ago, Mark Schmieder said:

I'll try to post all my right-handed compliments into one of the threads, and the left-handed compliments in the other.

• Haha 2

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I vote this thread wins because it has the correct product name stylizing in the title (MSolo vs M-Solo). :idk:

Interesting idea for a board - I'm not the target market (plus I have an SK Pro 73 - just wish it had the extra goodies like an overdrive knob that were included on the XK-4), but this seems like a solid option for someone who just wants a collection of '70s-era synth/organ tones in a small package. I'm thinking alternative rock, indie bands, and others in that vein could have a blast with this. Kind of like how a lot of bass players will bring a small synth as well - this could easily be the organ equivalent of that for, say, guitarists who want to branch out into keys for their rock tunes.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

There's such a thing as 'too light' in my experience.  My Modx7 had to be basically tied down for a couple outdoor gigs with a bit of wind, though while about double the weight it is larger (more surface area to act as a sail!).   I'd also make sure whatever you are using for a stand (other keyboard, actual stand) offers a lot of grip if you play at all enthusiastically.   I've used cork tape in the past, and recently lined my Omega Pro 2nd tier arms with cork bike grip, works really well.

1 hour ago, Stokely said:

There's such a thing as 'too light' in my experience.  My Modx7 had to be basically tied down for a couple outdoor gigs with a bit of wind, though while about double the weight it is larger (more surface area to act as a sail!).   

Do you play outdoor gigs during hurricanes or tornados?