Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond MSolo

dfcas

I wouldn't call 20-25 mph winds with higher gusts a hurricane, but that isn't that uncommon at outdoor gigs here.  Especially if one of the almost-daily storms is getting close.   Not only was the Modx7 in danger of blowing away, if I happen to use an x stand and not my Omega pro then the whole stand needs a weight on it.

Just saying that for me I like at least a bit weight to my keyboards.  Not too much!  For me low to mid 20 pounds is about right for unweighted, ymmv.

5 hours ago, vonnor said:

Polish Zloty 6490
'bout $1480

(All I could find so far)

I wouldn't pay that much. That would buy you a Crumar 61 or Legend Solo, wouldn't it? 

3 hours ago, Bill H. said:

¥125,000 in Japan - around $850.

More like it. I'm putting my chip on $999 US/€999/£999.

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

1 hour ago, Radagast said:

I would rather spend $100 less and buy the Roland VR09.

Hammond's clonewheel sound is far superior to the VR09 imho. The big competition at that price point is Crumar. 

VR09 is much more versatile though - it competes much more with multifunction boards.

Cheers, Mike.

On 10/1/2023 at 2:36 PM, Delaware Dave said:

there must be feedback that says there is a market for it especially outside the US where mass trans is used to get to many places, including gigs.

"outside the US", as in, say,  New York City?  ;)    If it don't fit on the rolly cart and onto the subway, it don't go to the gig....

• 3 months later...

My MSolo arrived today.  A good deal came up on Sweetwater and so I grabbed it for closer to what we all think it should cost. Only spent a few minutes with it so far.

The really good news here is that the action is high trigger and, other than not being waterfall, the keys feel very Hammond like.  I was worried about the trigger level or that the key dimensions might be more  like a standard synth. I think both worries can be put aside, this feels like a clone. The action is a bit on the firm side, not as buttery as the SKPro or the Crumar Mojo.  I'd say in firmness it feels more or less like the standard Fatar in the Electro -- good for what it is.

The Hammond does have a bright sound to it, which is not adjustable.  I don't think that's going to be a dealbreaker since I'll be using this mostly in a rock context, but I'll have to give it some more testing to figure out my comfort level.

Haven't messed around with other sounds yet.

This slots into my gigging tools exactly as Hammond intended it -- as the top in a 2-board rig. I need to spend more time with it to decide if it's a keeper, but so far so good.

• Like 1

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

32 minutes ago, Adan said:

My MSolo arrived today.  A good deal came up on Sweetwater and so I grabbed it for closer to what we all think it should cost. Only spent a few minutes with it so far.

The really good news here is that the action is high trigger and, other than not being waterfall, the keys feel very Hammond like.  I was worried about the trigger level or that the key dimensions might be more  like a standard synth. I think both worries can be put aside, this feels like a clone. The action is a bit on the firm side, not as buttery as the SKPro or the Crumar Mojo.  I'd say in firmness it feels more or less like the standard Fatar in the Electro -- good for what it is.

The Hammond does have a bright sound to it, which is not adjustable.  I don't think that's going to be a dealbreaker since I'll be using this mostly in a rock context, but I'll have to give it some more testing to figure out my comfort level.

This slots into my gigging tools exactly as Hammond intended it -- as the top in a 2-board rig. I need to spend more time with it to decide if it's a keeper, but so far so good.

Adan,if only about sound,is the Hammond better than your Mojo 61 ?

24 minutes ago, ludo said:

Adan,if only about sound,is the Hammond better than your Mojo 61 ?

The SKPro can be tweaked to the point where it's a matter of taste which is better, Hammond or Crumar.  The MSolo out of the box sound is basically what you get.  Key click and leakage can be adjusted, but you can't, for instance, pick amongst different modeled Hammonds. Side by side with no other instruments involved, I prefer the Mojo over the MSolo.  However, the theory of the MSolo, for me anyway, is that blended with a rock band it'll be fine.

I've had my Mojo for several years, used it on tons of gigs.  I think the MSolo is going to be a better tool for certain kinds of gigs. It's also going to be a travel keyboard.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

1 hour ago, Adan said:

Definitely looking forward to your opinion on the quality of the other sounds as well.   I know that this was made to hit a price point, but I really love that metallic Red option!

----------------------------------------------------------

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x