Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

It's cheesy as hell but I want one (Lowrey Stardust)

"When the Cotillion arrived
We threw out the television
Model D 575
Has custom flute presets
And Harmony-Plus in addition

Now for an arm and a leg
We get three half-dozen beats to choose from
So now we can pretend
That there's an orchestra in the lounge room

I put the genie bass on
So my left hand can play the choir
With sixteen foot Diapason
And Lowrey's patented Orchestral Symphonizer

Banjo's great on repeat
The kids want to play but they'll have to be patient
The wife can't help tapping her feet
It's a genuine home entertainment revelation

State, state, state, state of the art
(State of the art)
(Hold the phone, it's so)
(Listen to the difference!)
(By use of a computer)
(Oh my God, it's so)

Now we don't want to go out
When we could spend the night at home with the Cotillion
Invite the neighbors around
Start the boss a nova beat and limbo from the living to the kitchen

Enjoy the state of the art
The magic swing piano really is astounding
Now we can't tell them apart
But these amazing simulations end up sounding even better than the real thing

(State of the art)
(Computer controlled tone color)
(The marriage of music to computers is quite natural)
(Oh my God, it's so)
(It is time to hear the results)"

--Goyte, State of the Art

2 hours ago, ksoper said:

"When the Cotillion arrived
We threw out the television
Model D 575
Has custom flute presets
And Harmony-Plus in addition

Now for an arm and a leg
We get three half-dozen beats to choose from
So now we can pretend
That there's an orchestra in the lounge room

I put the genie bass on
So my left hand can play the choir
With sixteen foot Diapason
And Lowrey's patented Orchestral Symphonizer

Banjo's great on repeat
The kids want to play but they'll have to be patient
The wife can't help tapping her feet
It's a genuine home entertainment revelation

(State of the art)
(Listen to the difference!)
(By use of a computer)
(Oh my God, it's so)

Now we don't want to go out
When we could spend the night at home with the Cotillion
Invite the neighbors around
Start the boss a nova beat and limbo from the living to the kitchen

Enjoy the state of the art
The magic swing piano really is astounding
Now we can't tell them apart
But these amazing simulations end up sounding even better than the real thing

(State of the art)
(Computer controlled tone color)
(The marriage of music to computers is quite natural)
(Oh my God, it's so)
(It is time to hear the results)"

--Goyte, State of the Art

That has blown my mind @ksoper - love Gotye but obviously hadn't listened to the lyrics closely enough!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zxcvbnm098 said:

..but back to the original post...

When did that Lowery come out? And how much was it?

It does sound cheesy, yet.......pretty cool!?!

So, from my googling I can't pin down an exact manufacture year but appears to be 2003-2005. Back then it seemed to have cost circa US 4K-5k? Have seen them sell for 10K second hand, the one in that vid is on sale for AU 5K which I think is a steal...

Any ROMpler can get that Lowrey sound including the Velveeta.  Just a matter of creating a combo consisting of theatre organ, accordion, flute, choir and tuba on the low.  The secret sauce pulling it all together is effective usage of reverb and EQ.🤣😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Love those schmaltzy organ tones!

Question: Why the names of the notes above the keys? Seems folks who play those things would pretty much have that figured out. 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

8 hours ago, Dr Nursers said:

So, from my googling I can't pin down an exact manufacture year but appears to be 2003-2005. Back then it seemed to have cost circa US 4K-5k? Have seen them sell for 10K second hand, the one in that vid is on sale for AU 5K which I think is a steal...

I'd bet it was a hell of a lot more than that here in the US? But I'll ask around....I'm thinking more like $15K...?

• Like 1

Hmm it's hard to know - 15K in 2005 would seem pretty over the top though importing that beast from wherever it was made would be a costly exercise so you could be right.

5 hours ago, Moonglow said:

Love those schmaltzy organ tones!

Question: Why the names of the notes above the keys? Seems folks who play those things would pretty much have that figured out. 

Agreed - my first organ was a Yamaha Electone and it came with foldable cardboard letters you placed over the keys. Maybe Lowrey still felt there were a bunch of people out there who use the organ books that printed the letters within the notes themselves (e.g. a quaver showing a G on the stave would also have the letter G printed in the black circle at the bottom of the quaver)?

Thanks!  That song just cleared all the wax out of my ears and I can hear better!

But sadly -- I was hearing THAT song................

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

16 hours ago, Dr Nursers said:

I sold Lowreys from '83 to' 85. The Cotillion cost a mind-numbing $14k.  The-top-of-the-line MX-1 cost $25k. I have no clue what the Stardust cost but it certainly wasn't $4-5k. I guarantee it was an obscene amount of money. 

When the Cotillion arrived at our store I gravitated to it for some reason and ended up performing on it at sales events. It wasn't terrible. Now, the bad boy of the bunch was the older D-325 that had a real Leslie and a snare with a thwock that you felt in your chest. 

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

6 minutes ago, ksoper said:

I sold Lowreys from '82 to' 85. The Cotillion cost a mind-numbing $14k.  The-top-of-the-line MX-1 cost $25k. I have no clue what the Stardust cost but it certainly wasn't $4-5k. I guarantee it was an obscene amount of money. 

When the Cotillion arrived at our store I gravitated to it for some reason and ended up performing on it at sales events. It wasn't terrible. Now, the bad boy of the bunch was the older D-325 that had a real Leslie and a snare with a thwock that you felt in your chest. 

I saw mention online that it was in the $50k range...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, zxcvbnm098 said:

I saw mention online that it was in the $50k range...

Yes, I just now saw that. Sounds right. Btw dealer cost was 50% of that. Commission was 10%. Some months were lean, some were very, very good. 

7 hours ago, ksoper said:

I sold Lowreys from '83 to' 85. The Cotillion cost a mind-numbing $14k.  The-top-of-the-line MX-1 cost $25k. I have no clue what the Stardust cost but it certainly wasn't $4-5k. I guarantee it was an obscene amount of money. 

Just wow again, had no idea how expensive they could be!

I have just watched the original video... And wonder what can't be done with, let's say, a Genos plus an extra MIDI controller and a midi pedal unit. Oh, well, you would miss the gazillion lights! 😆

Luckily for me and my pocket, not the kind of instrument I would like to own. But it is curious to watch and listen 👍🏻

• Like 1

I am amazed at how well the technology, even in the 80s, performed the same tasks as arranger keyboards today -- which generally cost more than flagship workstations.

I remember some Lowrey-esque organ where I could play pretty much any inversion I wanted of a chord with my left hand, and the organ would play a quite competent bass line (and jazz drums of course) for me while I noodled a melody with my right hand.  That had to be before 1985.

• Like 1

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

On 6/29/2023 at 6:34 PM, Dr Nursers said:

Hmm it's hard to know - 15K in 2005 would seem pretty over the top though importing that beast from wherever it was made would be a costly exercise so you could be right.

My Wurlitzer 4573, that my parents bought for me in 1973, was $4,200.

• Like 1

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

9 minutes ago, Synthaholic said:

My Wurlitzer 4573, that my parents bought for me in 1973, was $4,200.

That was an Audi 100LS.  New.

• Like 1

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

On 6/29/2023 at 9:01 AM, ProfD said:

Any ROMpler can get that Lowrey sound including the Velveeta.  Just a matter of creating a combo consisting of theatre organ, accordion, flute, choir and tuba on the low.  The secret sauce pulling it all together is effective usage of reverb and EQ.🤣😎

What about the rooster (and other barnyard sounds)?  (note this is for instructional use only).   I'm wondering how they decide on all of the automated ornamentation at the end right before the canned applause.

• Like 2

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

17 minutes ago, JazzPiano88 said:

What about the rooster (and other barnyard sounds)?  (note this is for instructional use only).   I'm wondering how they decide on all of the automated ornamentation at the end right before the canned applause.

Samples. Sequencer. Child's play for most ROMpler workstations.😁😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

On 6/29/2023 at 1:55 AM, Dr Nursers said:

Only had 10 mins with it, but if I had the room in my house.....

I love this opening organ sound. Reminds me of my old Earl Grant and Lenny Dee records from when I was 8 years old.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

These bad boys make killer ballpark organs. I'd love one but that instrument would be impractical at Petco Park for a few reasons. But a few of the ballpark organists play Lowreys. (Cubs, Cardinals). When I recorded all the organ for MLB The Show I went to the local Lowrey place and recorded a bunch of stuff on it. There's nothing like it. 

• Like 6

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

8 hours ago, Bobadohshe said:

These bad boys make killer ballpark organs. I'd love one but that instrument would be impractical at Petco Park for a few reasons. But a few of the ballpark organists play Lowreys. (Cubs, Cardinals). When I recorded all the organ for MLB The Show I went to the local Lowrey place and recorded a bunch of stuff on it. There's nothing like it. 

Ok that's really interesting as that was my first thought when I had a quick play. Second thought it that it'd be a great on-stage prop in a gothic musical of some form, as long as it was faced towards the audience.

The Hammond is not the be all, end all organ.  Organs are just cool. 

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt