Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg Wavestate SE

1 hour ago, ElmerJFudd said:

They swapped out the Pi for a better one to offer more poly.  You can fit an iPad on the right and your taco plate on the left! 

I really don't understand why Korg's design choices are so bad.... why so much real state??? this is not an analog synth...

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, dalpozlead said:

I really don't understand why Korg's design choices are so bad.... why so much real state??? this is not an analog synth...

Maybe Korg is being generous with real estate considering that an iPad or some other small footprint noise-boxes (modules, groovebooxes, etc.) could be placed on it instead of a stand.  The Hydrasynth Deluxe has a generous amount of real estate similarly. 😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I agree that the benefits of putting an iPad or other small device on the panel is a good reason. But think about the engineering issues. They wouldn't have likely wanted to lay out a whole new mainboard to spread out the controls more, nor put in the software code/hardware effort to add more control interface. So to add a longer keyboard it ends up like this. Fast to market, little additional cost in man-hours/hardware...and a marketable benefit to tout.

31 minutes ago, dalpozlead said:

• Like 2

I love the idea of Korg putting out these modern keyboards that highlight a particular type of synthesis--the opsix is the most user-friendly FM interface I've ever seen in hardware--but in execution those boards were the flimsiest, cheapest feeling pieces of musical equipment I've ever touched. I've played Casiotone keyboard from the 80s that were sturdier! When Korg USA was doing the blowout sale for the opsixes last year, I jumped on it, got mine in the mail, aaand, the keybed immediately made a cracking sound and several of the keys were pretty much unusable. 

For the price they were mostly asking for those boards, the build quality did NOT justify them...so now they're revamping at least one of them, cool, but at THAT price? I really have a hard time believing it'll do good numbers.

1 hour ago, jerrythek said:

I agree that the benefits of putting an iPad or other small device on the panel is a good reason. But think about the engineering issues. They wouldn't have likely wanted to lay out a whole new mainboard to spread out the controls more, nor put in the software code/hardware effort to add more control interface. So to add a longer keyboard it ends up like this. Fast to market, little additional cost in man-hours/hardware...and a marketable benefit to tout.

Jerry has this exactly right. Manufacturers reuse printed circuit boards and components like crazy. None of these products sell in cellphone-like volumes, so cost reduction through reuse is critical. If volume and revenues were bigger, then design of a new layout, etc. would be spread over more units.

Comparing the two boxes, it's clear that Korg dropped the original panel board into a larger chassis with a longer keybed. Done.

Saw a recent video with Dan Phillips (Korg) who ruefully admitted that RaspberryPi 3 shortages prevented production and release of RPi-based products like the Wavestate. Shortages have no doubt hit the other manufacturers, too. Good to see new products coming out.

All the best -- pj

Music tech blog: sandsoftwaresound.net

• Like 1

Seems you can't get an internal power supply for less than three grand anymore. 😕

~ vonnor

• Like 1

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

True enough. And it's not only the cost to put them in. The most significant issue is safety testing and approvals. They can take a long time, and have costs associated as well. And plastic cases make it more difficult, as they don't shield as well for transmissions. In the US, California is the strictest state to pass testing requirements. 

Jerry

22 minutes ago, vonnor said:

Seems you can't get an internal power supply for less than three grand anymore. 😕

~ vonnor

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ProfD said:

Maybe Korg is being generous with real estate considering that an iPad or some other small footprint noise-boxes (modules, groovebooxes, etc.) could be placed on it instead of a stand.  The Hydrasynth Deluxe has a generous amount of real estate similarly. 😎

I think it's more that Korg would have had to spend the money to re-design and re-machine the panel layout if they changed it from the original. Because they didn't, the end result is all that awkward space on both sides.  It would have looked better if they moved the control panel left, like in an Access Virus or Clavia Nord Lead.  Reminds me of when I was a videographer, don't shoot your interview subject dead center, offset them to the left or right (rule of thirds). It looks better to the eye.

• Like 1

The MoDWave & Opsix are fine specialty synths, whereas the WS is more like an enhanced ROMpler. That's part of why it got the upgrade: broader familiarity with more people. I'm well-satisfied with WS Native, but $2K for the SE seems fair. I say use the editor for heavy lifting and use the OLED for more immediate things when you're playing. The amount of sheer stuff going on makes programming feel almost FM-like at times.  

I'm curious about the keybed, too. I hope it beats the original klackity model. BTW, the inclusion of release velocity makes up for the lack of poly aftertouch, in my view. Its great for strings, but also for wads of synth situations.

Say, how many of you have dropped anything into a user-sample slot in a synth? I've been pleased by my results in Alchemy, but it requires a lot more planning than the usual patch tweaking. It could be wild, applied to a Wavestate lane of its own.

“The joy of dogs is that they free us of our own undignified existence,
   our self-consciousness and inhibitions;
    our self-imposed hindrances to pleasure;
     our unwillingness to be embarrassed, exposed, or vulnerable.”
        ~ Alexandra Horowitz

3 hours ago, RABid said:

The MKii 37-key is not a bad price at $6.99.

I believe both the original WS and WS MK2  cost 100x more.😁😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

The Wavestate SE and Platinum will cost 3X more than the smaller WS. 🤔

IMO, a metal build and 24 additional keys should not result in such a significant price hike. 😁

While the Korg Wavestate SE has s different workflow from a Korg Nautilus, if similarly priced, the latter is a better KB. YMMV.😎

PD

61 keys with aftertouch? Yes please! Bummer they ditched their signature joystick for wheels, but I think the original WaveStation had that as well.

As for the price of the SE, I think this is set to compete with Jupiter X and Juno X. And the $1999 includes a hard case, too.

Estimated shipping date Oct 13 for preorders...

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

21 hours ago, David Emm said:

Say, how many of you have dropped anything into a user-sample slot in a synth? I've been pleased by my results in Alchemy, but it requires a lot more planning than the usual patch tweaking. It could be wild, applied to a Wavestate lane of its own.

IMO, that lane feature is the most tempting aspect of a Wavestate. 

I couldn't get past the keys on the 1st Wavestate and therefore, didn't get to fully explore manipulating my own samples using the lanes. 

But, from using the onboard sounds in lanes, I could hear cool sonic and composition potential of it.😎

PD

8 hours ago, ProfD said:

The Wavestate SE and Platinum will cost 3X more than the smaller WS. 🤔

IMO, a metal build and 24 additional keys should not result in such a significant price hike. 😁

While the Korg Wavestate SE has s different workflow from a Korg Nautilus, if similarly priced, the latter is a better KB. YMMV.😎

Shipping costs are through the roof these days. It's twice the size and heavier than the 37 note model. That'll drive the cost up. Still seems like a hefty price increase though.

You know, the fact that they have released new versions and changed nothing but the keybed, polyphony, and sample importing, gives me some encouragement to go back and finish my video series about the original. (If only to watch dB's face when I actually go through with it.)

mike

• Like 1
  • Cool 2

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

6 hours ago, zephonic said:

61 keys with aftertouch? Yes please! Bummer they ditched their signature joystick for wheels, but I think the original WaveStation had that as well.

As for the price of the SE, I think this is set to compete with Jupiter X and Juno X. And the $1999 includes a hard case, too.

Finally, someone who seems to LIKE the thing. A lot of people are trashing it like a movie reviewer who hates movies. I dropped my software Wavestation because of the instrument's building-a-ship-in-a-bottle OS. The Wavestate Native version is basically the Wavestation I'd design if I had a magic wand. As with a DAW, there's no overstating the huge leap it represents to have everything in front of you.

“The joy of dogs is that they free us of our own undignified existence,
   our self-consciousness and inhibitions;
    our self-imposed hindrances to pleasure;
     our unwillingness to be embarrassed, exposed, or vulnerable.”
        ~ Alexandra Horowitz

If I had GAS for a 61 key synth, the choice that Brother ProfD mentioned would not be an easy one:

Nautilus 61 key - More sound engines, currently $1699 (so lower cost) at several stores, but no aftertouch

Wavestate SE - "Just" the Wavestate engine, but has aftertouch and the joystick too, even some panel space to put an iPad, my car keys, or whatever

Thank goodness I continue to be GAS free.

15 hours ago, David Emm said:

Finally, someone who seems to LIKE the thing. A lot of people are trashing it like a movie reviewer who hates movies. I dropped my software Wavestation because of the instrument's building-a-ship-in-a-bottle OS. The Wavestate Native version is basically the Wavestation I'd design if I had a magic wand. As with a DAW, there's no overstating the huge leap it represents to have everything in front of you.

Putting it in software was the best decision they made. I love the Wavestation plugin, can't imagine how cool the Wavestate is.