Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg Wavestate SE

On 6/21/2023 at 8:14 PM, David Emm said:

Finally, someone who seems to LIKE the thing. A lot of people are trashing it like a movie reviewer who hates movies.

IMO, the sound design possibilities of the Wavestate make it hard not to like.  Up until now, the build quality was a deal-breaker for me. 

The Wavestate SE could be a monster in the right hands.  I'd love to take the WS SE for a spin before copping a Nautilus.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

4 hours ago, zephonic said:

I think I'll get one when they hit the streets. Korg's Reverb page says October.

I've just decided to cancel my Osmose order and get one of these and have been quoted availability next month but I take that with a grain of salt :)

• Like 3

I just picked a brand new Wavestate mk I for a little less than 1/4 of the list price for the SE.  That 5 octave keybed must be pretty special.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

The SE has the same keyboard as the Kronos 61. OTOH, the smaller Wavestates have the same keyboard as the Kross but fewer keys. Besides much better keys and aftertouch, supposedly the encoders and knobs are better quality than those on the small Wavestates (SE vs mk 1 and 2). So, it's more than just a few extra keys.

There are extra voices too, but voice stealing probably does this sustain pedal addict good, and I already have a mkI. 

• Like 1

I love that Korg did this, but I won’t be parting with two grand for one. I’m an original owner of a Wavestation that was later upgraded to an EX. I also have the Korg Legacy Collection which comes awful close and adds a resonant filter.

This newer instrument is sonically a huge leap from the old days, but my experience with my original WS was that it became a preset machine. Part of that’s on me, but it was a beast to program, given how the memories were shared.

I’d be concerned that history would repeat. I try not to use presets in my compositions.

Todd

Sundown

Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

One omission that I think would be an appropriate feature on this instrument would be at least one expression pedal input. It would be even better with more than one (maybe a footswitch input and a sweep pedal input).

When you get into big swirling, evolving timbres, being able to shape the sound with your feet becomes valuable.

Todd

• Like 1

Sundown

Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

The damper input is useful on the little Wavestate, which is also missing an expression pedal input.  Not saying it was right of Korg to omit this input on the SE, but not surprised either.  Well, at least they added aftertouch for the SE and reworked the presets to utilize it.

A lot of the fun is in twisting the 8 Mod Knobs.  Most presets set up these knobs to change the behavior of wave sequences.

With a damper pedal, you can sustain whatever you played on the keyboard, and free up both hands to twist those 8 knobs, and explore how the wave sequence changes.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2023 at 4:41 AM, Dr Nursers said:

I've just decided to cancel my Osmose order and get one of these and have been quoted availability next month but I take that with a grain of salt :)

Eh, the Osmose is a major soloist's tool, whereas the Wavestate creates tapestries. They're not actual opposites, but Hell yeah, there's a wide swath of creative flexibility mid-Venn, where they cross over. I think I'd be a bit scared of someone who could play them side-by-side and pull it off! That would be like a Beardyman festival of loop mania.   

• Like 1

“The joy of dogs is that they free us of our own undignified existence,
   our self-consciousness and inhibitions;
    our self-imposed hindrances to pleasure;
     our unwillingness to be embarrassed, exposed, or vulnerable.”
        ~ Alexandra Horowitz

1 hour ago, David Emm said:

Eh, the Osmose is a major soloist's tool, whereas the Wavestate creates tapestries. They're not actual opposites, but Hell yeah, there's a wide swath of creative flexibility mid-Venn, where they cross over. I think I'd be a bit scared of someone who could play them side-by-side and pull it off! That would be like a Beardyman festival of loop mania.   

Absolutely agree - and realistically the SE gave me an excuse to drop my Osmose order as much as anything. I'm definitely more a tapestry player than solo player so should work well :)

• 3 weeks later...