Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Who is Getting Pro Logic for the iPad Tomorrow?

Waiting patiently. I don't expect it to perform as well as Logic on a MacBookPro, but I am hoping it will make a good beatbox/workstation. A replacement for my MC-707, MPC Live or Elektron boxes. I will try it for a month and if I like the workflow I will use the Sweetwater GearExchange bucks I have collected to upgrade my 4th generation iPad Pro to a new M2 version with 1TB storage and 16GB memory. Well, unless it somehow works so well on my old iPad that I see no need to upgrade. But, if all goes well I may be selling a few devices. My goal is to cut back on music gear.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I am curious, but I have enough overheads in my life, without adding subscriptions to them, however seemingly small. Maybe in future if they offer a purchase option I would consider it. 

• Like 2

Yamaha YC73

Korg Kronos2 61

Yamaha CP88

Roland Jupiter 8

Roland JX3P

Roland D50

10 minutes ago, Dave Keys said:

I have enough overheads in my life, without adding subscriptions to them, however seemingly small. Maybe in future if they offer a purchase option I would consider it.

Isn’t it easier for the wallet to pay a small fee each month compared to a single big payment?

The first month will be free BTW.

I have an M1 Mac mini running Logic and the M2 iPad so I will be installing it just to see how it runs. No intention of subscribing but then again, not much else that justifies the M2 chip in an iPad at the moment.

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

I will waiting for mainstage for ipad and i hope it will be one time payment...

• Like 3

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

For those who work alone, we used to run a proprietary cable to the recording machine from where we were playing to get transport control.

Then we were able to use dedicated hardware over ethernet to the noisy desktop in the other room. 

Then a remote app on our phones over wifi. 

Now the DAW you're already familiar with is on a touch screen mounted next to you at the drum set, or over the keyboard, in the vocal booth, or where ever you need it.  This is a good thing.  

• Like 3

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Quick whizz through it and everything feels familiar. I have the 12.9 ipad but still, I am used to working on a larger widescreen monitor. However, I can see this being a decent way of working on the move. I made a track and did some mixing and automation in around 5 mins with no guides so that must say something about how well its designed. Will delve in deeper later.

• Like 1

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

Playing with Final Cut Pro. It is awesome… using the touch interface makes manipulating the audio and video about 30x faster than with a keyboard/mouse/touchpad.  So far, a brilliant design by Apple… moving on to logic when it’s available!

• Like 2

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

3 minutes ago, RABid said:

One thing I am noticing is latency when recording an instrument and using chord strips. I'm using a 4th generation iPad Pro purchased a couple months before they announced the M1 version. Does this go away with newer, more powerful iPads?

Check for where they put Logic’s buffer settings.  It might be in the App’s audio settings.  Or it might be in Settings - where you’d look for the Logic Pro settings.  

Here's a Support Page that describes how to bounce a project between Mac and iPad.   

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213666

What I'm seeing is Apple gave Logic and FC to certain creators two weeks ago so there are some YC's showing up with people who have had time to get used to the app a bit.   The Verge has a good one on FC. 

• Like 2

I started laying down a simple track to familiarize myself with it. Really easy to use and very intuitive. BTW, I’m using an iPad Mini 6. I know it’s not the first choice for music creation (or for anything really, since not many people buy them) but I had a great fun being able to create some music on a device that I can hold with one hand and can basically put in my pocket. 

• Like 1

I'm almost allergic to pads as a mere added layer of nuisance. I have enough to do, maintaining a mere desktop controlled by a linotype-style interface, sheesh. An iPad clearly makes a decent additional synth or rolling track sheet, but Logic? Inevitable, although having been on it since v.8 and watching it become a monster, I'm curious to see how it plays out. The bundled instruments alone represent quite a load, especially where Alchemy is concerned. 

A lot of it may hinge on how well it translates between platforms and how many people are either/or. Unit sales will decide the outcome. I think more people will be on desktops or laptops than on iPads. It partly depends on a person's tolerance for shifting Projects back and forth. The portability factor seems appealing, but it may not wear well over time. Feel free to ignore me when I come too close to sounding like Andy Rooney's carping old "60 Minutes" lectures, right about *here*.         

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

8 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

For those who work alone, we used to run a proprietary cable to the recording machine from where we were playing to get transport control.

Then we were able to use dedicated hardware over ethernet to the noisy desktop in the other room. 

Then a remote app on our phones over wifi. 

Now the DAW you're already familiar with is on a touch screen mounted next to you at the drum set, or over the keyboard, in the vocal booth, or where ever you need it.  This is a good thing.  

FWIW, IMO, this is NOT better than a remote browser based app on ipad over wifi controlling a desktop DAW. You still have to get things (audio/midi) in/out of the ipad if the IPAD IS the daw.  That's a dire, dangling mess unless the ipad fits into a non-existent dock that contains mic pres, headphone jacks, etc. 

My studio is inside a 5 floor city brownstone.  Every single floor is wired up in some way or another for recording. One of the drum kits/booths is 4 floors away from the control room.  I can sit at the drums and open up chrome on the IPAD and control all the recording and monitoring functions of Reaper over wifi while i play without a single thing attached to the ipad. 30 seconds after i finish a take, i can be doing the same thing sitting at the grand piano on a different floor, and then record an acoustic guitar on yet another floor.

1 hour ago, D. Gauss said:

FWIW, IMO, this is NOT better than a remote browser based app on ipad over wifi controlling a desktop DAW. You still have to get things (audio/midi) in/out of the ipad if the IPAD IS the daw.  That's a dire, dangling mess unless the ipad fits into a non-existent dock that contains mic pres, headphone jacks, etc. 

My studio is inside a 5 floor city brownstone.  Every single floor is wired up in some way or another for recording. One of the drum kits/booths is 4 floors away from the control room.  I can sit at the drums and open up chrome on the IPAD and control all the recording and monitoring functions of Reaper over wifi while i play without a single thing attached to the ipad. 30 seconds after i finish a take, i can be doing the same thing sitting at the grand piano on a different floor, and then record an acoustic guitar on yet another floor.

I don’t believe this device is meant for your scenario.  If you take a moment to watch the Mary Spender video, she explains how she works alone, that in the content creator’s world there is pressure to constantly push out new material weekly or lose your audience’s interest.  So she has to find inspiration while out and about, start and finish a project without making it back home or into what most of us think of when we say “studio”.  She avoids getting hung up on minutiae. This is like using premade loops and samples for a majority of the arrangement.  Layering in real guitar, maybe the bass to give it a piece of yourself and a human vibe. Otherwise the lyric and the vocal is the tune and that’s getting done in her flat.  Mixing, mastering with headphones and up to youtube it goes. Next.  

Few people have multiple rooms, booths or any ideal recording space at all.  That’s not keeping them from having ideas and making recordings.  And it’s been brutal for professional facilities for many years now.  Take Beato as an example.  He has a very nice space and all the right hardware to make amazing records.  A wall of amplifiers that have been replicated by modeling plugins.  Specific snare drum types that have been sampled thousands of times over.  So, he’s shifted to being a “creator”.  

Note: iPads, Macs, PCs are the same thing in different form factors with different work flows.  DAW on a desktop, DAW on a laptop, DAW on a tablet.  

2 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

I don’t believe this device is meant for your scenario.   

Not true at all. I use an ipad "device" daily in my scenario, just not with Logic installed.  Simple content creation? No need for the serious power of something like Logic.  The free Garageband and the built-in mic (or a usb podcaster mic) on the IPAD or even an Iphone prove that daily in the myriad youtube vids i see online while drinking my morning coffee.   

You said, <<Few people have multiple rooms, booths or any ideal recording space at all.  That’s not keeping them from having ideas and making recordings.>>

Not having Logic won't stop them either. It's most likely overkill with too high of a learning curve investment in those situations.

Tried it out last night. Seems pretty intuitive though I’m not sure I’ll use it behind the one month free. I think apps like Cubasis have been offering a similar thing for years? I think I’d be interested in a MainStage app rather than this. 

B3X isn’t playing nice with it so far. Keeps crashing when you try to load it into a channel. 

Nice layout and if mobile recording is your thing it’s a pretty cool and well designed app. 

Yamaha MODX8, Legend Live.

6 hours ago, D. Gauss said:

Not true at all. I use an ipad "device" daily in my scenario, just not with Logic installed.  Simple content creation? No need for the serious power of something like Logic.  The free Garageband and the built-in mic (or a usb podcaster mic) on the IPAD or even an Iphone prove that daily in the myriad youtube vids i see online while drinking my morning coffee.   

You said, <<Few people have multiple rooms, booths or any ideal recording space at all.  That’s not keeping them from having ideas and making recordings.>>

Not having Logic won't stop them either. It's most likely overkill with too high of a learning curve investment in those situations.

Wasn’t talking about the device for anything other than the DAW.  I believe you knew that (I use mine mainly for forScore, but I admit it’s also very good at Netflix. That said, Pianoteq has me condidering other uses - MainStage where are you?).  People will choose their own tools, choice is good.  iPad, desktop or laptop or convertible laptop (which I’d prefer to see from Apple with full mscOS).  Logic, garage band, Cubase whatever other software, it doesn’t matter.  But, the more desktop class OS features and software iPad OS gets - first time buyers may see less of a need to own both a tablet and a second computer.  

• Like 1

I'm still torn about it. My biggest gripe is drummer instead of a nice, easy to program drum machine. That puts me to having to create a group of drum samples and make my own drum machine out of several separate tracks. But, I will keep at it. Also enjoying Roland's Zenbeats. Would love to create drum beats in Zenbeats and then move them to Logic while on iPad. Maybe someone will release a good drum machine for iPad.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page