Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone tried the Leslie Heritage 122H/142H?

Forget warmth. You can’t hear warmth over the guitar and drums.  I want loud. LOL. 

Also a simulator sub out into a small sub  gives you the potential for massive low end if you want. 

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I think we paid 650 in late 1968 also for my original new 145 w/o the combo preamp! But that was a Manhattan price at the old Silver and Horland in downtown Manhattan ... my brother bought his cymbals there , we drove in from Queens but Dad grew up there.... they had a 145 on display when we walked in I believe...with a combo preamp, I was 14 and pretty much melted just being that close to it - defiantly my Xmas story BeeBee gun ..  I'm not all a-gass-ed to make a pun about the 7K price on the  new one, I understand to a degree, modern world and production, market specifics etc...I was a systems analyst in Sales and Distribution for many years. I was really almost more distracted by the factoid of the price just by the mere passage of time / and Leslies and all that!  Especially when in the 80's folks thought Hammond/Leslie's were almost dead as modern instruments with the advent of synths for more than a few years..... still, I know I'm a real old timer by-crackee! Glad they made a new one actually, it lives on....but I already have 3 old school in the house!  I'm good!        

• Like 1

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

• 7 months later...

Yes, I have one. It matches really well with the XK5 and other clonewheels. I connected it to my vintage B3 as well and it sounds great. I've done recording sessions with it, which is where it really shines. You can get some nice grunge without blowing out your ears, the motors are whisper quiet, no switching noise, no creaks or rattles. 

It is very expensive. Then again, the original 122 was about $6k or so when adjusted for inflation upon release. This is aimed at churches and recording studios more than the weekend warrior gigging musician. 

I have used it on gigs with the XK5 and it does sound amazing. I have a bunch of live video that I need to go through, complete with multitrack audio. I've just been slammed this summer / fall. I'm tying up a bunch of loose ends right now and I will edit some video soon and post it on my YouTube.

I did this little demo a few months ago: 

• Like 3

On 4/22/2023 at 6:57 PM, Bill H. said:

That cab looks better than any 122 or 145 Leslie ever did even when new. There's gotta be a lot of money wrapped up in that cab.

Gee, back in the day (early 80's for me), we all bought Leslies (145, 147 etc.) for the SOUND -- not for the looks of the outside cabinet!

We wanted Leslie cabs with sound AND a little "character" in how it looked. One of the best I'd ever played had numerous cigarette burns and beer-mug-circles on the top, and the edges of the cab were dinged here and there -- but it SOUNDED GREAT!  The better it sounded "while still looking like $#*%&" was actually a plus back in those days -- as long as it was functionally good-to-go inside -- 'cause we paid much le$$ for it than an as-good sounding but better looking Leslie.

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

17 hours ago, Old No7 said:

Gee, back in the day (early 80's for me), we all bought Leslies (145, 147 etc.) for the SOUND -- not for the looks of the outside cabinet!

We wanted Leslie cabs with sound AND a little "character" in how it looked. One of the best I'd ever played had numerous cigarette burns and beer-mug-circles on the top, and the edges of the cab were dinged here and there -- but it SOUNDED GREAT!  The better it sounded "while still looking like $#*%&" was actually a plus back in those days -- as long as it was functionally good-to-go inside -- 'cause we paid much le$$ for it than an as-good sounding but better looking Leslie.

Old No7

Cheers to this! I don't have any photos of it, though I traveled with a very beat up 145 for a couple of years between late '80s into early '90s. It was a road machine and sounded great!

I went and found some pictures in my phone from a gig I saw some years ago - a band called Donna the Buffalo. I think they tour nationally and are somewhat well-known, though definitely on a smaller scale. The keyboard player had a really nice beat up Hammond and Leslie that sounded beautiful. They didn't use road cases or anything for these.

IMG_9134.jpeg

IMG_9133.jpeg

IMG_9137.jpeg

IMG_9136.jpeg

A testament to the durability and build quality of both the Leslie and Hammond. It's remarkable how they hold up with continued moving, shaking, bumping and any number of atrocities of the road. 

To say "they don't make 'em like that anymore" is a substantial understatement.....

• Like 1

Eric, that is pretty much what my 147 looks like too, considering that I giggled it from 1975 to 2013 and often had to move it up and down stairs by myself.  I had it serviced a couple years ago and it sounds great. If I had to buy anew one, I’d finally get a cover made. 😁

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Piktor said:

Eric, that is pretty much what my 147 looks like too, considering that I giggled it from 1975 to 2013 and often had to move it up and down stairs by myself.  I had it serviced a couple years ago and it sounds great. If I had to buy anew one, I’d finally get a cover made. 😁

I have a very nice 122 in my music room that I had on the road for a short period before retiring it in favor of simulators, LOL. When I was seriously moving it, I had an Anvil style custom flight case for it and I actually moved it on stairs a few times by myself...I had the case builder mount a pair of handles higher up on the top part and also add some recessed wheels on the lower part so I could "bump" it up and down one step at a time. VERY PAINFUL, WOULD NOT RECOMMEND. Eventually I sold that flight case and have a Tuki padded cover if I ever decided to move it again - very unlikely.

In 1971 I bought two brand new Leslie 147s, pre-amp pedal, relay, and cables all for for well under $1000.

• Like 1

Gibson G101, Fender Rhodes Piano Bass, Vox Continental, RMI Electra-Piano and Harpsichord 300A, Hammond M102A, Hohner Combo Pianet, OB8, Matrix 12, Jupiter 6, Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, CS70M, CP35, PX-5S, WK-3800, Stage 3 Compact

51 minutes ago, Shamanzarek said:

In 1971 I bought two brand new Leslie 147s, pre-amp pedal, relay, and cables all for for well under $1000.

That's almost $7600 in today's money. 

Yes, the 122H is expensive. It's also meant to be a high-end product. The woodwork alone is stunning. It has a wooden bottom rotor. The DC motors cost more than the kind of AC motors used in the old Leslies, plus the circuitry to control them. It's really apples to oranges to try and compare it to what a 122 or 147 cost back in the day. 1971 was over half a century ago.

5 hours ago, eric said:

Cheers to this! I don't have any photos of it, though I traveled with a very beat up 145 for a couple of years between late '80s into early '90s. It was a road machine and sounded great!

I went and found some pictures in my phone from a gig I saw some years ago - a band called Donna the Buffalo. I think they tour nationally and are somewhat well-known, though definitely on a smaller scale. The keyboard player had a really nice beat up Hammond and Leslie that sounded beautiful. They didn't use road cases or anything for these.

IMG_9134.jpeg

IMG_9133.jpeg

IMG_9137.jpeg

IMG_9136.jpeg

Eric I know the drummer in that band. They are big around here. 

• Like 2

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Price sounds fair.  Traditionally the price of a new B3 and 122 was about the same price as a new Buick LeSabre. 

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

On 4/25/2023 at 11:50 AM, zxcvbnm098 said:

That's almost $5K in 2023 dollars. A chunk of change in the day for sure, but this one is still above that. 

it was a lot , but i don't remember $ 650 being an extraordinary figure . i bought a used

L 100 in '72 for $650 . am i that off with this ?

14 hours ago, bill bosco said:

it was a lot , but i don't remember $ 650 being an extraordinary figure . i bought a used

L 100 in '72 for $650 . am i that off with this ?

Bill, in 1972 the federal minimum wage was $1.60. I would think for most $650 was a pretty big spend in'72....

1 hour ago, zxcvbnm098 said:

Bill, in 1972 the federal minimum wage was $1.60. I would think for most $650 was a pretty big spend in'72....

But the thing was, we were all gigging regularly and still getting about $50 or more a job. I was 15 years old with no other expenses, so that was a few month's gig money.

Moe

---