Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I've changed my name from "jeffinpghpa" to "jeffincltnc"

Considering that I relocated from Pittsburgh to Charlotte almost 8 years ago, I have updated my display name, but wanted to let you know that since I am very active on this forum every day, I am still very much the same person.

Jeff

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

I never got the connection, thinking it some random unique suffix. My former housemates in CA moved to Charlotte NC (outskirts) a couple of years ago and love it there. It was after my brief return to CA from Durham NC, which I steered them away from, as it's too far from the mountains.

• Like 1

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

For some weird reason (including not being a native English speaker myself), I've always read your name as "jeffingpa" skipping on a lot of letters and somehow internally interpreting it as two words "jeffing pa", or the papa of someone called Jeffing, or some slang that I don't understand, like Golfing Pa, but you're jeffing instead of golfing 🤣 It's only now that I realize there's been so many letters in your original nickname that I missed 😲 What a mind trick! I consider myself pretty good in finding typos since I am a software developer and sometimes support our product and am pretty used to spotting typos in usernames/URL-s that our users type. But I guess I was subconsciously trying to read your nickname as something humanly readable.

On another news, the good news is even if you change your location again, it won't be another 8 years until you decide to reflect that in your nickname by swapping it with yet another unreadable cryptogram, so all is good 😀

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Adan said:

Am I the only one having a hard time pronouncing the new name?  It's kind of making me blush.

10 minutes ago, CyberGene said:

For some weird reason (including not being a native English speaker myself), I've always read your name as "jeffingpa" skipping on a lot of letters and somehow internally interpreting it as two words "jeffing pa"

I always knew it wasn't right, but likewise in my mind it was "jeffingpa". But as for at least questionable if not blushable interpretations, don't ask how cphollis reads to me. In both cases, it was quite a while before I took the time to decipher these for real.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I'm very anti-anonymity and don't trust those who are anonymous (i.e., won't stand by their word). Some of the early forums I joined (only one of which I'm still active in), don't have the capacity for changing the username and did not allow real names at the outset, so I had to use almost-real names that nobody realized were my actual full name abbreviated.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

39 minutes ago, Mark Schmieder said:

Some of the early forums I joined (only one of which I'm still active in), don't have the capacity for changing the username and did not allow real names at the outset....

+2

I think in the early days, that was the expectation, just like using CB handles.  We were supposed to come up with creative user names like "Pianoguy 88" or "No1Mustangdriver" or whatever.  Almost seems quaint nowadays.

Curious... Just yesterday I changed my cryptic EB5AGV for a more readable Jose EB5AGV (well at least the first word is easier to deal with 🤣!)

The reason I use EB5AGV (Echo Bravo Five Alpha Golf Victor) is that it is my amateur radio callsign which is unique in the world, and, back in 1996 or so, when I began in Internet forums and websites, I was very involved with that hobby (now I still practice it, but has become kind of my daily work, as I fix amateur radio equipment at my home lab)

So, at all and every place I register, I use that user name. If you are curious, just Google it... From car forums to motorcycle ones, radio, electronics, music, piano, keyboards, synths, guitar, gardening, eBay, ...😆

But I understand it may be hard to read for people not in the hobby, so I added my first name to it.

Jose

17 hours ago, Adan said:

Am I the only one having a hard time pronouncing the new name?  It's kind of making me blush.

Jeffing hell you're jeffing right you little jeffer. Now jeff off and don't jeffing mess with my jeffing mind like that again! 🙂

Cheers, Mike.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Jose EB5AGV said:

Curious... Just yesterday I changed my cryptic EB5AGV for a more readable Jose EB5AGV (well at least the first word is easier to deal with 🤣!)

The reason I use EB5AGV (Echo Bravo Five Alpha Golf Victor) is that it is my amateur radio callsign which is unique in the world, and, back in 1996 or so, when I began in Internet forums and websites, I was very involved with that hobby (now I still practice it, but has become kind of my daily work, as I fix amateur radio equipment at my home lab)

So, at all and every place I register, I use that user name. If you are curious, just Google it... From car forums to motorcycle ones, radio, electronics, music, piano, keyboards, synths, guitar, gardening, eBay, ...😆

But I understand it may be hard to read for people not in the hobby, so I added my first name to it.

Jose

Back in the day, the amateur callsigns were 5 letters, and 4 letters designated an "extra" license. I still remember my Dad's from the '60s. I'm surprised that they had to go to 6 letters - presumably due to demand? I would have thought that HAM radio participation would be waning these days.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

39 minutes ago, Threadslayer said:

Back in the day, the amateur callsigns were 5 letters, and 4 letters designated an "extra" license. I still remember my Dad's from the '60s. I'm surprised that they had to go to 6 letters - presumably due to demand? I would have thought that HAM radio participation would be waning these days.

Well, it is of course a lower quantity of people who enjoy the amateur radio hobby nowadays than some decades ago, but it still has a worldwide following and, during contests, the bands are pretty crowded.

About number of letters in the callsign, depends on the country, but most are 5 or 6 characters long.

Jose

On 4/12/2023 at 9:01 AM, jeffincltnc said:

Considering that I relocated from Pittsburgh to Charlotte almost 8 years ago, I have updated my display name, but wanted to let you know that since I am very active on this forum every day, I am still very much the same person.

Jeff

Still brotha Jeff to me.  Application approved.  Screen name change duly noted.😁😎

• Haha 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

On 4/12/2023 at 4:52 PM, Jose EB5AGV said:

The reason I use EB5AGV (Echo Bravo Five Alpha Golf Victor) is that it is my amateur radio callsign

And all along my music-fixated brain has been trying to parse that as E flat 5 | A | G resolving to a V chord ...

-- Jimbo

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

On 4/12/2023 at 12:57 PM, JamPro said:

So tell us.....what is the music scene like in Charlotte NC?

I like it.  It doesn’t have the same depth of jazz or soul music that Pittsburgh has, which is a treasure trove city of locals who live there.  It took me a little time to find my tribe but also not very long after the move.  I have been in a few bands here from an 80’s new wave tribute, to a reggae band, to live band karaoke to a funky bar band, plus lots of open jam nights.  Have met several interesting keyboard players here who are great.  I’ve hung out with Macsaint a few times, and another friend plays a Hammond C3 for the AHL pro hockey team here, so there are players everywhere.  There is a lot of church bands here too which I don’t do, but literally something for everybody.  I have also thrown my hat in with an 8 piece jazz/funk horn band and a Sade tribute show who didn’t give me a steady gig for trying out but I would have loved those, too.  Can’t go wrong here as a player but maybe less hair bands playing out would be an improvement to me.

• Like 1

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

Just the fact of knowing I got like 20 replies to this probably means I spend a lot of time here chatting about gear and keyboard music life.