Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Could it be? A new Acoustic Piano for the Mojo 61?

42 minutes ago, EricBarker said:

You HAVE to be kidding me! This was 75% of the reason I *JUST* bought a Nord Stage, I needed a good AP. I've been waiting for years. OMG.

I'll buy the Nord Stage off ya cheap, Eric! 🤣

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

42 minutes ago, SamuelBLupowitz said:

I'll buy the Nord Stage off ya cheap, Eric! 🤣

LOL, naw. I love it. It's gonna be perfect for many things. That said, it probably would have prompted me to wait 6 months or longer.

• Love 1

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

firmware 1.52 was just released....

Guido says this:  "...Please download and install it as soon as possible so you will be able to enjoy the next big surprise...".  

So perhaps to get the new piano you need to be on this newest release first.....

• Like 2

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Just to confirm the CFX update is also available in Genuine Sounds for the iPad. It is over 1G in size and even works on my 9 year old iPad Mini with no latency that I can detect - WLF and it's engine are super efficient. Looking forward to hearing what the Piano officiandos think.

Edit: just noticed that C5 (2 octaves above Middle C) seems louder than other notes. But I am using the lightest velocity setting.

Yes C6 if you call Middle C C4. On the iPad Genuine Sounds keyboard it’s labelled C5. Anyway either way its the C 2 octaves above middle C. Install it in your Gemini and check it out. I think you will be impressed. 

How is it as a piano?

Does it pass the Keyboard Corner forum test for being playable as an AP?  Is it just a sample or is it robust in terms of velocity layers, velocity curves, string resonance, or even things like close/ambient options?

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

Not too bad on my Mojo 61. After all, and as the ReadMe file explains, the Mojo was designed for organ in mind, but it works 👍

Accidentally I did the update from my tiny phone screen, so I hit the factory reset 😒

But luckily, somewhere I have screenshots of my organ and Rhodes settings. 

/Bjørn - old gearjunkie, still with lot of GAS

1 hour ago, jeffinpghpa said:

How is it as a piano?

Does it pass the Keyboard Corner forum test for being playable as an AP?  Is it just a sample or is it robust in terms of velocity layers, velocity curves, string resonance, or even things like close/ambient options?

I don't have it yet, someone else can chime in for the specifics, but I can probably give you a definitive "NO" for many of those things. Velocity Layers, I would expect so, you can't really do a decent piano without them, but with some robust modeling that might be possible. String Resonances and Close/Ambient... not a chance. That takes a LOT of space. Even with Nord pianos you have to choose which one(s), because there's not enough room to load it all. The Mojo has almost no space. Close/Ambience, only if like Nord you could re-download different versions, but I'm only seeing one. Velocity curves is just MIDI interpolation, so that's very possible, we'll have to see.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

From the readme file on the piano update:

"This is a one-time free wavetable update for the Crumar Mojo 61 digital organ, featuring the sampling of a gorgeous Yamaha CFX grand piano kindly offered for sampling by music shop Bettin located in Padova, Italy.

The sampling process took place during the month of February 2023 by GSi using our custom piano sampling robot, built in collaboration with Crumar. The whole sampling process is fully automated and runs completely unattended. It took about 6 hours to capture over 4 GB worth of stereo high definition samples. The end result is the selection of a total of 557 MB worth of sampled material consisting in 245 stereo samples, with velocity layers ranging from 12 to 6 per key according to the keyboard zone.

Samples are not looped, so the natural decay of the instrument has been preserved, and no EQ nor any other kind of post-processing has been applied.

Once loaded into the Mojo 61, the GSP-01 sample playback engine adds a layer of physically modeled resonances that enrich the sound by adding the missing interactions between notes that naturally happen when playing a piano but can't be reproduced just with samples." (emphasis mine)

Moe

---

in the middle of a gig now, did the first set with the CFX and the 2nd set with the C5 (using the Gemini module).  still like the C5 better. CFX is good but just prefer the C5, seems more detailed to me.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I installed the new CFX piano and gave it a spin. It's not perfect, but I consider it a great improvement on the old piano.

My biggest gripe with the previous piano was that I felt like I had to push it to get it to cut, but it just seemed to mush out when I played harder. It's frustrating to bang on an instrument and get nothing back.

The new piano cuts better, and responds a LOT better to velocity than the old one. I was able to play from loud to soft on the Mojo key bed and maintain control. Have not tried with a hammer action yet. It's MUCH more fun to play now.

The tone through my RCF TT08As was a little harsh and benefitted from a midrange cut on the Mojo EQ. I could wish for control over the sympathetic resonance - I'd like to experiment with lowering the level as it rings a bit sometimes.

I haven't tried it live with a band but it seems to me that the Mojo piano has graduated to a perfectly capable live music piano and has brought the original "hidden easter egg freebee piano" into the realm of goodness it deserves.

• Like 3

Moe

---

Of his newest piano offerings (for the Gemini) the one that sounds the fullest to me is the Steinway D.  That actually is a very nice sounding piano, very c!assical sounding.  I used it tonight when doing some Billy Joel and Elton John and the tone is sweet.  When doing music in the realm of REO Speedwagon I prefer the Yamaha C5, just fits the song better and VB3-ii just kills on Roll With The Changes. It was a good night......

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I just updated mine... It sounds fantastic!  It can certainly serve as a backup piano, or even a primary piano if my MODX is split with several non-piano sounds. Kudos to the gang at Crumar!

• Like 1

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

6 minutes ago, Jazz+ said:

This must be some elaborate post-April Fool's Day gag, or am I just dreaming? 

My Mojo is in storage... The previous piano was indeed "mushy". It felt as if it suffered from timing lag whenever I dabbled with it, unusable IMO. How's the finger touch-to-tone response now?

No Mush... no delay. 

• Like 1

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

10 minutes ago, SamuelBLupowitz said:

Awesome, now if anyone can just tell me how to get that (and the clav) onto my Mojo XT, I will be unstoppable and never need to buy a keyboard again! 🤣

Plug it into a Gemini? ;-)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)