Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP Bobby Caldwell

DaveMcM

Like most, I first and foremost remembered him for that song. Then I heard a lot of his other stuff and thought he was quite underrated. If he had come out in an earlier era, he would have been much bigger IMO. Always loved singing his songs too. RIP

This little girl is so precious. There are a lot of videos of her singing different songs.

I have to say, I've always liked the Go West version much more than the Bobby Caldwell version. It's Peter Cox' voice. Like butter!

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Never knew much about Bobby Caldwell but from 1985-1992 the southern California band I was in played "What You Won't Do for Love" as part of our first set five nights a week.

Gibson G101, Fender Rhodes Piano Bass, Vox Continental, RMI Electra-Piano and Harpsichord 300A, Hammond M102A, Hohner Combo Pianet, OB8, Matrix 12, Jupiter 6, Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, CS70M, CP35, PX-5S, WK-3800, Stage 3 Compact

In addition to What You Won't Do, his Open Your Eyes was a standard for us in the East Bay funk scene...it was what J Dilla sampled for Common's The Light. And Heart of Mine - what a great song as well.

Wasn't Bobby a KB player? I seem to remember the synth line in the outro of What You Won't Do was him.

29 minutes ago, timwat said:

In addition to What You Won't Do, his Open Your Eyes was a standard for us in the East Bay funk scene...it was what J Dilla sampled for Common's The Light. And Heart of Mine - what a great song as well.

Wasn't Bobby a KB player? I seem to remember the synth line in the outro of What You Won't Do was him.

If your familiar with the guitar world you probably heard of Norm's Rare Guitars in LA who clientele is the who's who of guitarist.   Norm is actually a organist and singer  was in Bobby Caldwell's band and I think Norm co wrote some tunes with Bobby.   Norm has talked about his time with Bobby in some of his YouTubes.   For you B3 fanatics Norm about a year or so bought his dream B3 and keeps it in his store to jam with people, it's a 1959 B3 and Leslie in like new condition.  

8 hours ago, timwat said:

Keys and guitar.

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

RIP Bobby.   I've played Do For Love a number of times (or used to a long time ago).  I really liked that tune until I played it once too often, but still, a great tune.   I remember the actual arrangement from the record was quite tricky to get right.   At least, that was my experience, your mileage may vary.   I mean, basically simple, but there were some tasty little details that really made the song, IMHO.

2 hours ago, Floyd Tatum said:

RIP Bobby.   I've played Do For Love a number of times (or used to a long time ago).  I really liked that tune until I played it once too often, but still, a great tune.   I remember the actual arrangement from the record was quite tricky to get right.   At least, that was my experience, your mileage may vary.   I mean, basically simple, but there were some tasty little details that really made the song, IMHO.

This song, and a few others, got me though GB gigs. After first set, it was downhill from there :facepalm:

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

32 minutes ago, 16251 said:

General Business

That's a new one for me!   I've heard 'em called casuals (west coast), jobbing gigs (toronto), club dates (new york), and corporate gigs (toronto).   They can be fun with the right people, if the music's ok.

Only discovered him last year and after that his signature song went on repeat that whole summer...there are plenty of good versions.

Great singer and writer. He could also sing Sinatra style very well

I amused myself watching black folks doing these "reaction videos" on YT,  they all went "WTF???" after like 30 sec in the video where you can see his face.

They all thought he was black :)

I like this jazzy version a lot:

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Bobby Caldwell wasn't on my radar back in the day, maybe due to lack of Canadian airplay, or just my tastes were in another direction then. But I've been a Boz fan since forever and now that I realize Heart Of Mine was Caldwell's, and the Grant/Cetera track, I've dug a little deeper into his catalogue. He was one of those extremely musical guys who took his genre into another level and for that I really appreciate shedding light on him.

That live video from 1978 was a stunner. Wish I'd paid more attention.

RIP Bobby Caldwell.

• Like 1

Here for the gear.