Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

stage presence, how do you deal with that as a keyboard player?

Emiel Minnee

It all depends on the gig like folks have said, but I like to feel the music when I perform. I likely express it a little more outwardly than most people… but what I’ve told students in the past is that while I’m still myself up there, I’m not playing a character, but I’m playing a 150% version of myself. Obviously, you have to take care of #1 and make sure you’re still playing well and covering your parts (again, context), but the more stage experience you have and the better you know the music, the easier it is to let yourself go and allow your emotions in the moment to be expressed outwardly.

Basically, just have fun ;) 

(I don’t really headbang on corporate gigs or kids shows, cause… context. But sitting or standing does not affect my ability to lose my glasses on the last chorus of the last song on those gigs that I do let ‘er rip.)

4E80A524-02D6-4E0B-97F5-50353B2E06E8.jpeg

276E4B23-4AD0-4093-A8A8-8E101B46236C.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Yup! This is me 100%, even the bright red hair. I always play up my energy, get myself pumped and really give in to the music. I’ve headbanged when playing Dropkick Murphy’s, done group dances with my mates when doing Huey Lewis. I even destroyed a (dying) keytar at the end of a Talking Heads song.

But even when it’s a low key tune, just groove. By physically involved with the music, be infectious, so the audience can barely sit in their seats. Most of the music we play, even a lot of classical, had its origins in dance music. Bring that out in your performance.

• Like 1

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

1 hour ago, D. Gauss said:

He puts on a happy "i want to be here" smile, makes sure he looks like he should be onstage, talks to anyone and everyone, and doesn't let up until he's back in the car for the ride home.  His reasoning is that if he don't look like he wants to be there, then why should anybody come?

I'll agree you should definitely look like you want to be at your gig, but that should be the product of you actually wanting to be there, not thinking you need to act like you want to be there. I'm all for the former!

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Reezekeys said:

I'll agree you should definitely look like you want to be at your gig, but that should be the product of you actually wanting to be there, not thinking you need to act like you want to be there. I'm all for the former!

well, that's the "show" part of showbiz. On day 23 of the European tour, when your lost luggage still hasn't been located, and as a result, you are still borrowing other band members (who aren't even close to your size) clothes to wear, you might not actually "want" to be there.   

3 hours ago, Emiel Minnee said:

well yeah can understand you're question,   to answer to it.

This is organized by a baptist church, with theme evenings about Israel.    So in the same space, some of the things where still standing there from the morning service.

But not my point, It is not if it is christian or whatever someone believes, It is about music and musicians :)

Thank you. I was asking purely out of interest.

Cheers, Mike

Super interesting discussion.

On the subject of sit v stand - I’ve always stood as it helps me “feel” the music more.  One less bit of stuff to truck around too.  But I’ve seen some very visually engaging players who sit so I don’t see it as a necessity.  

As with many of these discussions, I don’t think it’s really a dichotomy of “presence” v “absence”, it’s more about presenting appropriately for the context.

Orchestra?  I probably expect the musicians to be seated with heads buried in charts, smashing out virtuoso performances.  Rock band?  I probably expect the musicians to be animated, engaging with each other and the audience, and generally looking like they want to be there.  And within this continuum there’ll be variations on a theme, of course.

To OP:  I’m not a religious person so don’t really know what an audience would expect in a worship context, but I’d hope the musicians might display an attitude that projects and reflects the themes in the music.  Is it joyful, uplifting, contemplative, thankful?  Think about what message the music is trying to convey and let that flow through your mind, body and “heart” and be present in the moment.  Use this state to connect yourself with the audience.

In my own musical context, where I play in rock bands that ask audience members to part with money to watch us play, my strong belief is they are looking for more than just an aural experience.  They are paying to see a show.  We do pay a lot of attention to the visual aspect of our performance as it is important to our customers.

Last thought from me.  I was at a corporate event years ago (as a conference delegate, not a musician) and a really good party band was playing.  Great tunes, good players, packed dance floor.

A colleague who knew I played keys comes up to me and says “gee that keyboard player is terrible isn’t he?”  Here’s the thing - he was NOT terrible, he was excellent and significantly better than I’ll ever be.  The reason my colleague (not a musician) said this is because the keys player was standing there displaying all the excitement of someone doing a calculus exam.  His on-stage demeanour was totally inappropriate for the atmosphere the band were expected to be creating.  In the audience’s mind - “terrible”.

That was a very impactful and educational moment for me, and helps me remember that when we play out, our whole performance and whole selves are all about the audience.

Kudos to OP for contemplating this important issue and promoting a fascinating discussion.

• Like 4

Only speaking for myself (and i'm sure there's someone i'm missing), but besides Steve Nieve and Prince, I can't think of a single "standing" keyboard player i give a damn about (and even Steven sits down now and has for years).  They might stand up from the bench from time to time, walk around (monk) or even stand or jump on the piano, or set it on fire (jerry lee), but they all have a bench:

Jerry Lee, Little Richard, Dr. John, Elton, Monk, Terry Adams (NRBQ), Adam Weiner (Low Cut connie), Roy Bittan, Benmont Tench, Nicky Hopkins, Ian Mclagan, Ian Stewart, Billy Preston (tho i think he did have a giant one around his neck at one unfortunate point), Greg Allman, Leon Russell, Chuck Leavell, Professor Longhair, Allen Toussaint, Johnny Johnson, Ray Charles, Aretha, Nina Samone, Fats Domino, Freddy Mercury, Booker T., Steve Winwood, Huey Piano Smith, Isaac Hayes, Gene Taylor, etc.   all sat on a bench.  Stevie Wonder too, (excepting his wtf keytar thing) ;)

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I decided after doing both, that I sit. 

1) It's how the piano is played. 

2) It's how I practice (I practice on acoustic piano) 

3), I'm 6.5' tall.  The keys are very high off the floor to make them comfortable for me. 

4) I own a PA company.  I have 18-24" risers that put a seated pianist or drummer at the same head height as standing players. 

Smile.
Bop your head to the tempo.
Smile.
Whenever possible dramatically wave your hands/arms in mid air between notes.  Let the audience see those hands.

Smile.

Don't dress like a dweeb.

Smile.

Grow your hair long.  The swinging of long hair is a good visual effect.

Smile.

If you don't have a head full of hair, wear a hat.

Smile.

Grimace while playing.  It works for guitar players.

Smile.
No keyboard parts in the song?  Break out the air guitar.  Don't forget the Pete Townsend windmills.

Smile.

Ham it up.  Think pantomime and silent movies.  Goofy facial expressions.  If you wear a hat, make it move like a ventriloquist.  Point and laugh at a band member.  Lean against an amp and act bored, then suddenly spring to life when your part comes around.  Motion like you're dialing/talking into a cell phone while singing the refrain in 867-5309.  A little visual comedy doesn't hurt and it entertains the audience.

Smile.

Act like a conductor, swing your air baton to the dynamic moments in the song.

Smile.

Swing your shoulders like you're dancing.

Smile.

Show your best stiff upper lip and then

Smile.

Eye contact.  Look at the crowd and acknowledge those who enjoy the visual impact.

Smile.

...I get the feeling I'm leaving something out... oh yeah SMILE.

• Like 2

Stage presence? Keyboard player? Do those words go together? 

People with stage presence have it on or off stage albeit hopefully less so offstage but not always. Let me tell you about a metal singer I knew in the 90s...

Have something to show and then show it with confidence.

Then you'll either have stage presence or come off like a clown. The line there is a little blurred.

FunMachine.

1 hour ago, D. Gauss said:

Only speaking for myself (and i'm sure there's someone i'm missing), but besides Steve Nieve and Prince, I can't think of a single "standing" keyboard player i give a damn about (and even Steven sits down now and has for years).  They might stand up from the bench from time to time, walk around (monk) or even stand or jump on the piano, or set it on fire (jerry lee), but they all have a bench:

Jerry Lee, Little Richard, Dr. John, Elton, Monk, Terry Adams (NRBQ), Adam Weiner (Low Cut connie), Roy Bittan, Benmont Tench, Nicky Hopkins, Ian Mclagan, Ian Stewart, Billy Preston (tho i think he did have a giant one around his neck at one unfortunate point), Greg Allman, Leon Russell, Chuck Leavell, Professor Longhair, Allen Toussaint, Johnny Johnson, Ray Charles, Aretha, Nina Samone, Fats Domino, Freddy Mercury, Booker T., Steve Winwood, Huey Piano Smith, Isaac Hayes, Gene Taylor, etc.   all sat on a bench.  Stevie Wonder too, (excepting his wtf keytar thing) ;)

Eh... Cory Henry played his Lingus solo standing. I don't care too much about ELP but didn't Keith jump around lots? Would've also been hard for Wakeman to show off his capes if he was always sitting, wouldn't you say? Pretty sure those dudes can/could all play. Whatever works, works. I sit on most gigs these days, but some things just call for a power stance over a power sit. :idk: 

One thing I learned a couple years ago watching Bruno Mars & band from a cheap ticket beside/behind the stage:

Play to the whole room. You don't have to be constantly interacting with every audience member, but if you're on the side of the stage, as we keyboard players often are, make an effort to include the audience members who, like you, are a bit further to the side. The lead singer is usually trying to work the whole crowd, and usually ends up mostly in the centre, naturally. Making sure that you connect with the whole audience, even if it's just once or twice in the whole night, goes a long way to making them feel included in the show and feel like they were part of something special. Usually as simple as turning towards them during an audience participation/clapping section.

• Like 2

Standing vs. sitting:

It can be observed when Freddie Mercury, Sarah McLachlan, Steven Tyler, John Paul Jones or Jewel have sat down at a keyboard for a song the venue doesn't clear as everyone decides it is a good time to use the restroom and grab something to eat or drink. It is a powerful moment. These people also just play. No "This music is so good you should all be bopping and stomping like me!"

Christopher North of Ambrosia would sit but lift his keyboard on one side as a flourish.

Steve Porcaro of Toto usually stood and made very dramatic frequently full-body gestures as he played.

It all can work and be cool but like anything there are exceptions.

I think Tony Banks, who sat, looked way cooler when he just looked at the keys and played instead of bopping his head double-time to the beat.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Real MC said:

...No keyboard parts in the song?  Break out the air guitar.  Don't forget the Pete Townsend windmills.

Smile.

A little visual comedy doesn't hurt and it entertains the audience.

Smile.

Not to be confused with air guitar, I don't know you but I care enough to discourage everyone from doing the air guitar dance ever anywhere everywhere. Injecting comedy is different than people laughing AT you. It is worse than an Elaine afflicted with the Elaine dance.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Still worse is demonstrating both.

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

I'm seeing some folks saying smile and be happy when you're playing.  This is WAY over generalizing.  A lot of great music is based on people being pissed off, musicians being pissed off at something, somebody, any ole thang.  So to say that you as a keyboardist must get up there, smile and act happy?  Not for everyone, no.  Maybe happy is OK, maybe that's exactly what you like doing, maybe that's how you like to represent yourself, that's OK.

Rather, you should be honest, and hopefully as part of being honest you care about the music, and care about the people that are paying their hard earned money to see you playing, buy your music & merch.  I think some of the keys to having presence is if people are interested in you and your music, and if they trust you're not bullshitting them.  Being honest and pissed is fine, even great.  Being honest and happy, great.  Being fake-pissed or fake-happy, no good, folks will see right through that.  Of course - everyone has bad nights where you're just not yourself, hopefully those are the exception.  

And another thing about stage presence.  Just getting up and moving does not necessarily equate to presence.  Some folks do not move at all, and they have immense presence.  One that jumps to mind is Sade.

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

20 hours ago, Emiel Minnee said:

stage presence, how do you deal with that as a keyboard player?

How do you deal with this sort of things?   is there a trick?

Hey Emiel, here's a trick, and you don't have to change anything you're doing in terms of moving, singing, playing.  There's a chance it might not be appropriate for your scenario, you might need to clear it with your bandmates.

Get a pair of these and wear them during your performances.  People will automatically look at you in a new light.  You will instantly be cool.  All of a sudden, women will want you and men will want to be like you.  With very little effort, you will now have stage presence! 🙂

ScreenShot2023-02-25at8_08_21PM.thumb.png.d0b348ac2530c1e73250b671f613bc8e.png

• Like 1

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

35 minutes ago, TommyRude said:

I'm seeing some folks saying smile and be happy when you're playing.  This is WAY over generalizing.  A lot of great music is based on people being pissed off, musicians being pissed off at something, somebody, any ole thang.  

This is true, and if that is what your thing is, go for it.  Since this is a keyboard forum, dunno how familiar folks are with Motorhead and Lemmy in particular.  However, if you are, then you know they were very angry, very loud, and with lots of leather.  Years ago, due to a flight delay, i ended up stuck in an airport lounge in Palm Springs, CA., with 3 nice chatty British guys in acid wash jeans, adidas sneakers and one had on a polo shirt and carried a tennis racquet.  It was Motorhead.  Doubt their fans would be psyched to see them onstage that way given their reputation.   IMO, smile, be angry, be into it, be violent, but don't ever look bored unless that's part of the act.  i.e. Russel Mael from Sparks or Keely Smith from Louis Prima.

That’s the key: look like you want to be there. Maybe it’s because you’re pissed off and HAVE something to say! Maybe you’re super happy. Just NEVER look bored or like you don’t care.

I love Radiohead but many people accuse Thom Yorke of *sounding* bored. But when you see them on stage, they all look like they’re on a mission, not a drop of boredom in their performance at all. And somehow it comes across in their music too. Meanwhile, hundreds of lesser Alt Rockers really DO look bored! And that’s a deal killer for me.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

18 hours ago, Steve Nathan said:

There's the music and there's the visual.   Yes, it's called Show Business, but the keyboard part of the music is better seated, & the show is better standing, jumping around, costumed, etc. 

If you're doing any of the latter, the music suffers. It may be a necessary evil to make a living in these times, but let's not pretend it is anything other than sacrificing some of the music  for the visual. 

Did you ever see Keith Emerson?

Remember - you can make a record without an organ on it, but it won't be as good

www.robpoyton.co.uk

I thought the question was a little concealing so I thought I'd make clear the little culture being talked about. Wherein I don't think the "presence" question means the same thing as it means in gigging popular band circles, just like a Jazz Fusion act in most cases won't be able to make the same success happen as a Disco cover band, and there are reasons for that.

T

Re: visual.  Somewhere there's an old interview with Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis talking about their time playing with prince. They said they were on salary and rehearsed a solid 8 hours a day for weeks before the tour.  Since Prince had done all the parts himself on the album, he hadn't been concerned with what could actually be played live with only "X" number of band members onstage, he just wanted to hear it ALL there onstage.  So for weeks they worked their butts off, first learning all the parts, and then covering all these different sounds and vocals from the record with a small band. Real intricate stuff. Just when they they were starting to feel like they had a handle on it and might be able to pull it off, Prince came to rehearsal and said, "OK, now we learn the dance moves!"  ;)  

• Like 2

I watched the video and enjoyed the beautiful music.  The group  as a whole could definitely be doing more to enhance the visual aspect of it.  But that burden shouldn't fall on the two keyboard players. If the other folks put a little more into it, no one would care that the keyboard players are stationary and stoic.

I could be wrong but just throwing this out there -- the fact that everyone's eyes are glued to their charts suggests that as a first step more study and rehearsal would help.  There's not much you can do about presentation until the players feel comfortable with the music itself.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I'm not playing live much anymore, but having been onstage for 40 years, I can say something...

If I'm playing jazz, I sit. This is the only way to play serious piano. Especially if I'm playing my own music, which tends to be a bit intricated. I'm going to talk with people between tunes anyway, and I assume that a jazz audience would be ok with that way of making contact.

When I'm playing rock or pop, I stand up *if* the configuration of keyboards permits, and if I'm not supposed to play too "pianistically". This allows me to move a little bit, make little dances around, feel the energy, and generally having fun.

I have also played in a few electronic music performances; in this case I tend to stand up, but not moving around too much. In those instances there were some images or videos going on at the same time, so I figured that it was better for the performer to remain still.

Btw I have noticed that if you are immersed in the music, giving the best you can, the audience generally follow you whatever the genre of music. Unless of course is one of those things where the music is pure background, then it doesn't matter what you do, as long as you keep a fixed half-smile and don't fall asleep at the keys...  :freak:  :bor: 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Adan said:

the fact that everyone's eyes are glued to their charts suggests that as a first step more study and rehearsal would help.  There's not much you can do about presentation until the players feel comfortable with the music itself.

This suggests that the band we see is a set group that plays this church gig regularly and plays the same songs. Is this a fact? I've done a few of these gigs and most of the time I'm meeting the musicians for the first time. The MD chooses the material that morning and passes out the charts. There might be a quick rehearsal before the service starts. In short, to me this doesn't seem to be the kind of gig where everybody has to "look the part" or put on some kind of "show", smiling & moving around, etc. If it comes naturally, great. Otherwise, your first obligation is to play the music correctly. If I don't know the song, I expect a chart. If there's a chart, you're going to see me up there reading - that's all there is to it. This is what pros do. As Steve N said, the rest is showbiz. imho.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RobP2 said:

Did you ever see Keith Emerson?

Yes, many times, & probably earlier than almost anyone else here (I first saw him w/Nice in a small local bar in Buffalo).  What is your point?  It's still a zero sum game imho.  I've not yet seen a plethora of piano teachers offering "Standing or Sitting options".  

• Like 3