Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Greg Phillinganes - the clav on I Keep Forgettin'

2 hours ago, analogika said:

I'm pretty sure it's just not a Clav. 

I wasn't sure either, but I think it's got to be. It's in the same place in the stereo field, and sounds like the later clav. Maybe FM clav with pitch bend?

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

4 hours ago, MathOfInsects said:
5 hours ago, Outkaster said:

Really?? her voice isn't all that hot? Keyboard solo is the best thing about the performance.

When I listened last night, I concluded that it had to be his girlfriend.

I think her solid and grooving bass playing, while singing at the same time, is exceptionally great.

• Like 2

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

• 11 months later...

After decades of procrastination, finally got around to transcribing the Clav on this one.

All the other instruments were extremely simple, so I laid them down as well.

The mojo of this groove really came from the beautiful interplay among all the parts.

And, of course, the beautiful voice of Michael McDonald

• Like 1

Greg Phillinganes is an absolute monster. He's the touring keyboardist for Toto this tour. Him and Lukather together? I'll be seeing him next month and first time for either one for me. Very excited.

He's also hilarious when in pitch mode.

• Like 5

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, Invisible keyboard stand (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

Always love Greg. The combo of his incredible talent and sense of humor is THE BEST!

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2

11 hours ago, kpl1228 said:

Greg Phillinganes is an absolute monster. He's the touring keyboardist for Toto this tour. Him and Lukather together? I'll be seeing him next month and first time for either one for me. Very excited.

He's also hilarious when in pitch mode.

He's just the best, funnest human ever.  Mr. Joy!

Great memories from hearing this song, and several from the Michael McDonald catalog. 

And back to the original topic. I've always dug GP's playing. But the time I saw him in person was definitely a "Holy Something!" moment: NAMM 2011's Korg Kronos unveiling, then the resulting Greg Phillinganes rendition of Happy Birthday. His chord substitutions had their own substitutions flown in for the occasion.

And then I made another discovery, from visiting page one of this thread: Mark Stephens. Yeah... From what planet are these previously unknown - at least to me - players coming from? 

Time to get off the computer and go practice :laugh:.

• Like 1

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

On 2/22/2023 at 8:32 AM, Mark Zeger said:

I can’t recall watching a product demo video more than once. I’ve watched the GP Keyscape demo countless times because he is SO entertaining. 

I’d pay good money to just sit and call out tunes and let Greg play the hell out of them. 

• Like 3

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

On 2/22/2023 at 1:27 PM, ProfD said:

The cats being mentioned in this thread are the definition of a musician's musician. 

Every last one of them is an ultra-badazz because they came up playing with equally or more talented musicians.   

IMO, those types of musicians, whose playing can be identified from listening to a recording are slowly dying on the vine.

Especially when it comes funky music, fewer musicians are forming bands and/or playing on records like that anymore.

Cats like Greg Phillinganes and Mark Stephens have always been in the background making records and artists sound better. 

IMO, those musicians are perfectly comfortable with not being household names.  They don't have to deal with the same BS.

Also, if  anyone has ever heard Phillinganes' solo record, there's a reason he stays behind the scenes.  Artist is not his forte.😁

However, Phillinganes has done very well for himself as a musician.  He can sit down at any restaurant in LA and enjoy his meal. 

OTOH, some of the artists with whom Phillinganes has worked wouldn't have been able to sit down and have lunch with him there. 🤣😎

Your post reminds me of Fred Wesley's autobiography he wrote in the early 00s, about how much he enjoyed being a sideman because of how much extra stuff he got to miss. He gets a little weird in some parts talking about how he thinks he could create something more creative and engaging than Bootsy and George (okay Fred well you got yourself a band 20 years later, and ain't any of that, so what you were talkin' about then?), but it's still a really cool read.

11 hours ago, jazzpiano88 said:

Greg's the monster!!!   Who throws a Kinks quote into a pop jazz solo like it's nothing???

I love that little lick. Although there's some debate in the Phillinganes vs Omartian contingent as to who played it - discussed here 

Cheers, Mike.

On 2/23/2023 at 12:11 PM, MathOfInsects said:

I wasn't sure either, but I think it's got to be. It's in the same place in the stereo field, and sounds like the later clav. Maybe FM clav with pitch bend?

Lots of analog polys have clav sounds. The clav in the OB-Xa is really good as is the clav in the Chroma Polaris, though the Polaris wasn't released until '84. But it could certainly be an OB-Xa.

• Like 2

On 2/22/2024 at 3:54 PM, Mitch Towne said:

I’d pay good money to just sit and call out tunes and let Greg play the hell out of them. 

I've been in that exact situation with him many times. We did a great session of him playing sound demos when the Korg SV-1 first came out. Sadly, I don't think they're on the Korg website any more. The only thing I could find is this "commercial/demo", but he recorded almost 2 dozen examples for us that day.

Edit: I found some of his demos at the end of this long group on their SoundCloud account: https://soundcloud.com/korg/sets/sv1-demos. But much earlier, when we were releasing the OASYS PCI card, he came into the small soundroom, and starting doing what he did on that Keyscape video. So we could just ask him, "can you play XXX?" and he did. He's an incredible musician.

Jerry

• Like 3

On 2/22/2023 at 2:57 PM, Bobadohshe said:

Tim plays Lukather's guitar part at the very beginning of this video.

^^^ that's a youtube link. Worthy watch for everyone in this thread IMO.

Monster players purposely playing very simple parts, supporting the song.  Awesome vid, thanks for that.  You also have to give credit to the producer/production.  Ted Templeman (I believe) helped interweave similarly simple parts into many songs, i.e. the repetitive single note mandolin rhythm very subtly in the background of the verses in Listen To The Music.

• Like 1

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

On 2/22/2024 at 3:54 PM, Mitch Towne said:

Indeed! He not only kills on every keyboard part, he does some pretty convincing (and entertaining) singing. 

We are not worthy…

Its really that simple. 

I would have loved to be a fly on the wall during those amazing Wrecking Crew sessions. 

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Thanks for posting those YouTube links kpl.  Greg is incredible...and now am I the only one who has a crush on The Pocket Queen??  Man that gal can play the skins.

• Like 1

The Players:  OB-X8, Numa Compact 2X, Kawai K5000S, cheap Korean guitars/basses, Roland TD-1KV e-drums.  Eurorack/Banana modular, Synth/FX DIY.