Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rick Beato talks about pianist Yuja Wang

Thanks for that post. Yuja just did a marathon concert in New York, playing four Rachmaninoff piano concertos plus the Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini in one show. Of course this generated a lot of buzz, with a few of the usual comments that someone with her technical abilities get - as if that's the only measure of her popularity. Her command of the Russian repertoire is masterful, imo. Just found this on the tubes, a cell phone recording of the encore - beautiful. Apparently this concert was not officially recorded.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Outkaster said:

It's incredible in a way.  I'm so far away from that.

Just consider this: Taking into account that she is much younger than most of us here, there is a good chance that in some point in her existence, some of us were more advanced on the piano than she was. I wonder at what point that changed? Maybe when she got to kindergarten? Does that make you feel any better? 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Montunoman 2 said:

Just consider this: Taking into account that she is much younger than most of us here, there is a good chance that in some point in her existence, some of us were more advanced on the piano than she was. I wonder at what point that changed? Maybe when she got to kindergarten? Does that make you feel any better? 

That window is pretty small.      

What makes me like Yuja even more from interviews I've read with her she's not your typical classical snob, Yuja listens to all types of music and definitely shocked the world when she wore a revealing gown at the Hollywood Bowl went she was just getting going.   Also talks about hearing Rihanna feel in (sorry I can't remember what composer she mentioned) work.    I love her interpretations and feel she brings to her playing.  

There is a whole playlist on YouTube of Yuja as a kid playing all sorts of pieces.   Just search YT for "Young Yuja Wang".

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

I confess the first time I saw a Rick Beato video I hated the guy. He had some "best ever" list and it was IMO weak, in some ways absurdly so.

I since have changed my tune, even if I still think some of his "best" lists are off. The guy is extremely knowledgeable, talented, and as far as I can tell in his videos, personable. This of course has given him the opportunity to interview and hob-nob with many of the greats. Say maybe THAT'S why I hated him - pure petty jealousy! 

Re the girl, eh, pfft, I am better than her. oops I mean I was until oh I'd guess she was about 3 months old. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, bill5 said:

I confess the first time I saw a Rick Beato video I hated the guy. He had some "best ever" list and it was IMO weak, in some ways absurdly so.

I since have changed my tune, even if I still think some of his "best" lists are off. The guy is extremely knowledgeable, talented, and as far as I can tell in his videos, personable. This of course has given him the opportunity to interview and hob-nob with many of the greats. Say maybe THAT'S why I hated him - pure petty jealousy! 

Re the girl, eh, pfft, I am better than her. oops I mean I was until oh I'd guess she was about 3 months old. 

I don't agree with Rick on several things - he has a habit of over-analysing things (no, the bassline in the verse of Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic is not "Lydian"). But the fact that a guitar player gets excited about theory AND classical music AND acknowledges the existence of keyboards is a plus. (Shout-out also to brother @KuruPrionz on this board, and others I've forgotten).

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When I went gor further classical studie in the Ecole Normale De Musique in Paris back in 1989, I really found out what Beato now's claiming the hard way: human virtouosity in our department (piano) is endless. I had a 14 y.o. mate who played Brahms 1st piano sonata like nothing while I was trying to get myself together, musically speaking :) . It was a cold shower for me, but I came soon to the colcusion that it's better to invest into your own musicall thing and do your best instead of trying to follow these guys ;)

Yuja is unbelievable

And the most unbelievable is some comments under her youtube videos claiming her "non musicality" ;)

• Like 1
Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

We had a thread about her many years ago when the "Flight of the Bumblebee" vid dropped. I tried to find it but apparently older posts didn't survive the migration to the new system.

But that video is still on Youtube: 

Aw snap, that was 14 years ago!

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

2 hours ago, CyberGene said:

I don't know who's Rick Beato and why we should listen to him talking about one of the greatest living pianists, rather than just watch her playing 😉

Rick has a large following and introduces music/bands/players, both current and past, to potentially millions of people who otherwise never would have heard of them.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, NKB4691 said:

Rick has a large following and introduces music/bands/players, both current and past, to potentially millions of people who otherwise never would have heard of them.

Got it. I guess his audience is non-classical oriented then? Because I can't imagine classical music fans who don't know Yuja Wang.

5 minutes ago, stoken6 said:

Yup. He mentions this in his vid

Thanks, I started watching the linked video. So, he's a (rock?) guitar player who raises awareness about classical music performers and especially virtuosos. That's a noble thing, maybe more people will become interested in classical music 👍🏻 Especially the guitar shredding crowd who think of themselves (and no disrespect here from me either) as the only virtuosos out there 😀

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CyberGene said:

Speaking of which, I've listened to this hundreds of times:

Same here! She does seem to have an affinity for Russian composers.

And props to Rick - he's done a few videos on classical music. I remember one on Martha Argerich. I don't get the hate from some, not at all. Having said that, I don't listen to the videos where he analyses pop songs or expounds on theory, talking about modes, chords, etc. Not because I think they're in any way bad or undeserving of being heard, only because that stuff doesn't interest me, no matter who's expounding on it! I mostly enjoy the interviews, as he's at heart a jazzer who's come up playing all the stuff I have and appreciating the music I appreciate - I definitely feel a connection there. He asks good questions because he's "one of us." Yes he does deviate into "shop talk" at times, asking about picking technique or such stuff, but for anyone not that interested in those areas, I'm sure there are ten others that are. It's just fun to see him bobbing his head in delight while playing a Wes Montgomery track - you feel a shared connection to the music. On a personal note, I got a real kick out of his interview with Scofield. Sco described his trips to a local record store to get advice on what records to buy from Sally White, the head of the record dept. at Klein's in Westport Connecticut, an experience I shared since I grew up in the town next to where he grew up - Sally was a legend! That was fun to hear.

I think it's pretty cool that someone can do videos on guitar shredders or a Bee Gees song, then one like this:

• Like 3

Rick rules, except when he's worshipping later Pearl Jam sounding stuff. (Nirvana = the GOAT, Vedder sings like a goat) Have thoroughly enjoyed Beato's interviews w/ various artists the last few years. He asks musically educated questions and also has great stories about hangin' out with Michael Brecker and Lyle Mays back in the day. 

I'd like to see him interview Yuja. Hadn't heard of this extraordinary pianist 'til now. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CyberGene said:

I don't know who's Rick Beato and why we should listen to him talking about one of the greatest living pianists, rather than just watch her playing 😉

Exactly. A waste of time, IMO. And yet here I am, wasting time.🙂

There is almost no overlap between what I play and what she plays, other than Rhapsody in Blue, which I have been struggling with for years (only so I can be "that guy who memorized Rhapsody in Blue", a good way to kill 15 minutes at a restaurant gig). Some of the passages with multi octave leaps, it barely seems possible to execute like she does. Hardly a novel observation, but my appreciation is deepened by my experience with that piece.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Montunoman 2 said:

No.

I was labeled a ‘child prodigy’ at one time, and the only time I was better than her is before she was born.

• Haha 3
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.