Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Something in the pipeline for the Korg Nautilus.

Hi,

Not sure if people are  aware but there appears to be some kind of announcement for the Korg Nautilus on Tuesday 1st November 2022. 

This is a facebook video put out by Korg U.K. but I'm not sure you'll be able to see it across the pond !!

https://www.facebook.com/korguk/videos/2920097754953305/?extid=CL-UNK-UNK-UNK-AN_GK0T-GK1C&mibextid=bIAC9r

Chris

My bet is some sort of an Ai or Ai2 synth engine/soundset for the Nautilus. Aka M/T-series or 01/W+ sounds.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I remember when the M1 came out and everyone was oohing and aahing over it....in 1989 or 90.  I don't get the attraction now, but that's just me.

If they made a better cx3, or added some sliders to the Nautilus, or squared off the chassis, I might be tempted :)   I'm still tempted but these are the things that irritate me about the Nautilus.  I'm actually looking for a used Kronos 2 but the only ones available are 88s...and that's a bit heavy for this aging rocker!

Korg does it right in offering this new sound pack for FREE.

However, some version of the "best of" sounds from their library should already exist in newer KBs. 😁

The *M1 collection* just provides a nostalgic trip down memory lane for KB players who came up in the late 1980s/early 1990s.🤣😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

During the 80s – 90s, technology was changing fast and I was able to lease my keyboards, turning them in after expiry, rewriting for the latest and greatest, and writing it all off. I went from a DX7 to a D50 and finally an M1, which I bought out. I think my brother still has it.

Here for the gear.

Still having issues resurrecting a Frankenstein Kronos 2 (made from my old one and the several I've repaired in the past),
I may repurpose some bits (maybe make a dedicated organ rack with my NI B3X or something with the PC somehow) and resign it to a project that just took up too much time and grab a Nautilus 61.

Had em all - Triton Classic (with ZIP disks on SCSI - revelation!)/Extreme (USB drives - revelation!)/3x Kronosesseseseses.
Not much that you can't coax out of the Kronos with a bit work - guess the Nautilus is the same. Still enjoying my 2x controllers and laptop thing, but sometimes I miss a dedicated screen!

And, here's to hoping that Korg keep bringing out new engines, as well as samples.

Looks great and I'd love to own a Nautilus but... I'm struggling with one thing.

Awhile back here on the forum, someone posted that the Nautilus was half the price of a Kronos. I don't think so. At $2199 for the 61 key version (where I looked on line)--that's not half price of the original 61 key Kronos.

Am I missing something?

I've been away from the forum quite awhile.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Hard to say because there are no new 61 key Kronus(es?)(ii?) as far as I know.

I'd prefer as recent as possible and am on the lookout for a Kronos 2 61, but mostly I'm seeing 88s :)  I can only imagine why, that thing is 53 pounds and you'd need a healthy case.  There are some "excellent" condition used 88s for 2500 or so, which would make me think the 61s (if they appear) would be lower.  There are a couple original Kronus 61s in "great" shape for 1800 or so.   Talking about guitar center's used site here, which is where I buy used due to the generous return window.

The chassis shape of keyboards is a pretty big deal to me.  All it takes is one slip and you potentially severely damage the thing.  The curved chassis on the Nautilus looks like an accident waiting to happen.   The Forte does it right, super compact and easy to grip with square angles and little ridges.  It's heavy yet easy to handle because you can get such a good grip on it.

As I say I'm still tempted due to the kronos sounds and power supply.  The lack of controls is a bigger deal for me than the chassis though.

15 hours ago, konaboy said:

curious how this is working behind the scenes...

Very likely Korg is simply using existing samples to emulate M1 programs. Otherwise it would be useless loss of RAM. The Kronos ROM includes all samples from the Wavestation (which itself included all M1 samples + many more). So this soundset likely points to existing Nautilus WS samples or close equivalents to achieve its goal.