Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg Liano

6 minutes ago, DeltaJockey said:

Back to the Liano, looking at the specs on the Korg site, it would appear it doesn't have USB audio. 

The video in the first post in this thread says that it does have USB audio.

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

26 minutes ago, DeltaJockey said:

Here in Aus, you'd hope it would be no more than $700 -800. Otherwise, I'm not really sure what you're getting for the extra cost.

Yea agree it probably will but i see that too high if its not semi weighted (although it may be).

Too many digital pianos are loosing too much functionality the main one for me is midi dins.

Its also up againts used Numas and others.

Ironically before the FauciFlu faceoff 2 or so years ago there was a sudden influx of Numa COCAL 2X being offered used on gumtree and such. Good prices for what was a reasonably new keyboard then.

Then the 2 year stay home bullshite hit the fan and those used ones stopped appearing used.

But i believe we are going to see an influx of used digital pianos now the panic has been redirected to the UN war and people are living closerish to a normal life.

People who bought in a boredom stay at home panic are going to start dumping stuff now they realise they really dont want to be like or the next  "Delta Goodrem" (bless her little cotton socks) but are content to spend that money on a trip to the snow fields in (is it Aspin).

At least the money from their little used digital piano will buy them a weeks worth of lattes and peach cocktails. Hee hee

But i havent yet seen Numas coming up used here yet since the lockdowns

20 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

The video in the first post in this thread says that it does have USB audio.

Oh yes, you're quite right. Rather than properly listening to the video, I was checking the Korg website specs. Normally if a device supports USB audio, they are very forthcoming in trumpeting that, but there is no mention in the specs. I would suggest perhaps it is a given these days, but not all keyboards support it yet, think Privia!

The companions I can't live without: Kawai Acoustic Grand, Yamaha MontageM8x, Studiologic Numa Piano X GT, Kronos2-73, .
Other important stuff: Novation Summit, NI Komplete Ultimate 14 CE, Omnisphere, EW Hollywood Orchestra Opus, Spitfire Symphony Orchestra, Sonuscore Elysion and Orchestra Complete 3, Pianoteq 8 Pro, Roland RD88.

31 minutes ago, AUSSIEKEYS said:

Yea agree it probably will but i see that too high if its not semi weighted (although it may be).

Too many digital pianos are loosing too much functionality the main one for me is midi dins.

Its also up againts used Numas and others.

Ironically before the FauciFlu faceoff 2 or so years ago there was a sudden influx of Numa COCAL 2X being offered used on gumtree and such. Good prices for what was a reasonably new keyboard then.

Then the 2 year stay home bullshite hit the fan and those used ones stopped appearing used.

But i believe we are going to see an influx of used digital pianos now the panic has been redirected to the UN war and people are living closerish to a normal life.

People who bought in a boredom stay at home panic are going to start dumping stuff now they realise they really dont want to be like or the next  "Delta Goodrem" (bless her little cotton socks) but are content to spend that money on a trip to the snow fields in (is it Aspin).

At least the money from their little used digital piano will buy them a weeks worth of lattes and peach cocktails. Hee hee

But i havent yet seen Numas coming up used here yet since the lockdowns

I just think of the other stuff you get with the Numa, the keys have release velocity and aftertouch...and mod/pitch benders, MIDI dins, 2 controller inputs,  can be USB powered, (not sure of Liano there),I know that the Liano is aimed at a different market, but it should be priced accordingly.

The companions I can't live without: Kawai Acoustic Grand, Yamaha MontageM8x, Studiologic Numa Piano X GT, Kronos2-73, .
Other important stuff: Novation Summit, NI Komplete Ultimate 14 CE, Omnisphere, EW Hollywood Orchestra Opus, Spitfire Symphony Orchestra, Sonuscore Elysion and Orchestra Complete 3, Pianoteq 8 Pro, Roland RD88.

• 1 year later...

I finally got my hands on one of these...

On 9/15/2022 at 7:33 AM, AnotherScott said:

I assume the external speakers cut out if you plug anything into its combo headphone/line out jack, but it would be great of there were an option to leave them playing.

Sure enough, audio cuts out when you use its output jack, with no setting to override.

On 9/15/2022 at 7:33 AM, AnotherScott said:

I wonder how loud/full its speakers sound compared both to the Numa Compact 2/2X (it wouldn't take much to beat them)

And sure enough, the speakers are better.

In general, despite wishing for more, I'm pretty impressed, primarily because of how much I like the action. Yes, better than the Numa Compact 2/2X... less pushback, and more even front-to-back, and it generally better connects with its piano sound, though I'm not sure how much of that is the action vs. how much of it is the programming of the sound. In fact, I while I was hoping I'd like it as much as Korg's Vox Continental action (which is among my favorite semi-weighted actions of recent years), I actually like it more.

Pleasant surprise, it has seamless sound switching... you can hold a sound, turn the dial to your next sounds, and not have interruption of the held sound.

Of course, the Numa beats it a zillion ways in functionality... way more sounds, splits/layers, MIDI zoning, pitch/mod controls, aftertouch, real-time controls, 5-pin MIDI, 1/4" outputs, etc. etc. But if your needs are minimal enough (or if you're basically just looking for a controller, I'll get back to that), this is cheaper and feels better.

If you remember some of my past posts, you may know that I've been looking for an ideal "bottom" for a super lightweight rig, for the times I don't want to take even the 26.5 lb Casio 88 I've usually been gigging with. And I've talked about Casio CT-S500, Yamaha CK61, and Vox Continental as possibilities, for having at least reasonably piano-playable actions as low-cost non-hammer boards go (compared to, for example, Korg Kross or Juno DS). While the Liano is by far the least capable of them overall, I think it does provide the best piano experience.

When I gig with the CT-S500, I already use an iPhone/iPad for patch selection, and I'd decided I would do the same if I were to use the Vox. Once I'm figuring there's a good chance I'm connecting an iPad to whatever I use, this is what can make the Liano that much more useful for me. Not for patch selection (there's only 8 possibilities, and I wouldn't even use all of those!), but just using it as a really nice feeling lightweight "bottom" controller for iPad sounds. And using the board's built-in USB audio interface and Local Off mode, the iPad can mix the Liano sounds with its own... which could be useful because, at this point, I'm not sure I own an iOS piano that sounds better than what's in the Liano. (I've been thinking about buying Pianoteq. For the purposes at hand, though, I'm not convinced it's $139 better than the piano in the Liano.)

I am curious as to whether any of the low-cost lightweight 88 soundless controllers might feel as good, I haven't tried them, but even if they do, it's also nice to have the piano and other "backup sounds" in the board. Though the controllers do have some other features of their own. (Mostly, though, I'd be surprised if they feel as good. Maybe someone will post a comparison experience.)

It won't happen, but I'd wish for a "Liano Pro" for maybe another $100 that would have 1/4" outs, 5-pin MIDI Out, expression pedal jack, maybe 16 sounds in a row of direct access buttons, with the ability to hit two of them to layer (and the expression pedal could be set to vary the level of one of them). And... a mode where the 16 buttons act at selectors for MIDI channels 1-16... so if you have sounds on an attached iPad or whatever, without getting into any fancy zoning capabilities, you'd have a super easy way to pick from 16 external sounds (also leveraging the fact that the board has that built in USB audio+MIDI interface).

It would also be nice to see them use this action in their Kross/Krome series, some of the PA arrangers, etc.

ETA: Also, no sharp edges, so the keys are fine for organ playing, too. Not clacky on the swipes, either.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

6 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

I finally got my hands on one of these...

I'd be interested to know what you think of the odd spacing of the black keys either side of D. ( I mentioned this last year further back in this thread).

When I first played a Kronos LS, it was the thing that stood out to me. Not sure if it's physical or just psychological, but I decided that I wouldn't choose to live with such an odd design.

I'd love to know why it's the only action designed this way.

Does it bother you at all Scott?

• Like 1

I wish Korg would add lineouts to the Liano. Likewise Yamaha to the NP range. Yes, you can use the headphone out but you then lose the speakers which can add a nice vibration effect. I know you can hook up iPads etc but sometimes simplicity is best. Or even if they would offer a workaround setting where you can default the speakers to on, even when a cable is plugged into the headphone output.

Maybe I should look at the Numa Compact but I do prefer the sleek all black look of the Korg and Yamaha models.

A Liano plus Bose S1 or Roland KC220 would make a great lightweight, battery powered rig for wedding ceremonies. The addition of proper lineouts would seal the deal! 

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

5 hours ago, DeltaJockey said:

I'd be interested to know what you think of the odd spacing of the black keys either side of D.

didn't notice it until you mentioned it. 😉 But no, it doesn't bother me.

3 hours ago, The Piano Man said:

I wish Korg would add lineouts to the Liano. Likewise Yamaha to the NP range. Yes, you can use the headphone out but you then lose the speakers which can add a nice vibration effect...Or even if they would offer a workaround setting where you can default the speakers to on, even when a cable is plugged into the headphone output.

Yeah. Some boards do let you choose whether speakers are on or off, regardless of use of the headphone jack, so line outs aren't the only solution to that problem, but line outs do solve that as well as giving you the more rugged, more common connectors you'd prefer, and also make it easier to send summed mono if desired.

I know you can hook up iPads etc but sometimes simplicity is best. 

Also, I've discovered that iPad audio routing can be tricky, it happens to be something I'm dealing with exactly for the reason you mention. There seems to be no easy way to toggle between sending audio back out to the attached interface (in this case, the Liano) and sending out of the iPad's headphone out (its own if it has one, or one attached to a USB-C hub on the newer iPads). And in my brief use of the latter, the headphones gave me the iPad's audio (being triggered by the Liano), but not the Liano's audio. I've still got to see what's up here. But it seems iPad does not have Mac's level of support for addressing multiple audio destination devices. Though I'm not an expert in any of this.

A Liano plus Bose S1 or Roland KC220 would make a great lightweight, battery powered rig for wedding ceremonies.

I see you've discovered my ceremony/cocktail hour thread. 🙂 Yeah, I think a Liano (likely supplemented by a small speaker) could do the trick. But I'd choose something smaller/lighter than those speakers, which are actually heavier than the Liano itself! 😉 As I mentioned in that thread, I picked up a Singthing for this kind of use... ~ 7 lbs, and compact enough that I can still transport the setup in one trip (keyboard in one hand, keyboard stand in the other, Singthing and cables in a shoulder bag). Sounds "good enough."

• Like 1

I almost didn't check this thread at first, thinking someone had misspelled Piano and that it was a duplicate of the discussion regarding the Poetic Piano.

Is this a brand new model from Korg or some sort of continuation of a product I was never aware of? I don't even remember it being announced at NAMM!

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

2 minutes ago, Reezekeys said:

Considering this thread is 17 months old, I'm pretty sure the Liano is not exactly "brand new"! 🙂 

Sorry, I didn't notice it's a zombie thread, but that explains why it wasn't shown at NAMM. I must've missed all the fanfare in 2022 :-).

• Like 1

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

3 hours ago, Mark Schmieder said:

Is this a brand new model from Korg or some sort of continuation of a product I was never aware of? I don't even remember it being announced at NAMM!

it was called the L1, hints of its release go back before Covid, I’m guessing it was a casualty of Covid-related supply chain issues.

• Like 1

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

1 hour ago, niacin said:

it was called the L1, hints of its release go back before Covid, I’m guessing it was a casualty of Covid-related supply chain issues.

That makes sense, especially given its likely target audience. I think NAMM had so many new releases this year because manufacturers felt they'd sell better if they waited then if they were perceived as "old" products by the time the pandemic started to wind down.

@ AnotherScott- terrific if the board is so lightweight and has a good action for piano!  Sounds like they have a decent piano, wonder if it's at least 3 layers. 

Yes, at the price of $329, they could add even $200 more to the price and the extra features would be totally worth it with a good action.  I'd say, beef up its use as a controller with some built-in sounds and I think they'd have a winner: MW/PB, Aux in, MIDI DIN, 40 b&b sounds, an ipad editor and some registration memories, etc.

Ugh- 8 sounds and they use up one of the EPs on that awful DX7 EP?  

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

On 2/12/2024 at 1:09 PM, AnotherScott said:

It would also be nice to see them use this action in their Kross/Krome series, some of the PA arrangers, etc.

I think Korg should put it in every 73-note board they make, it's perfect for that.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

On 2/12/2024 at 2:09 AM, AnotherScott said:

It won't happen, but I'd wish for a "Liano Pro" for maybe another $100 that would have 1/4" outs, 5-pin MIDI Out, expression pedal jack, maybe 16 sounds in a row of direct access buttons, with the ability to hit two of them to layer (and the expression pedal could be set to vary the level of one of them). And... a mode where the 16 buttons act at selectors for MIDI channels 1-16... so if you have sounds on an attached iPad or whatever, without getting into any fancy zoning capabilities, you'd have a super easy way to pick from 16 external sounds (also leveraging the fact that the board has that built in USB audio+MIDI interface).

I love this idea. Liano Pro, L1 Pro or L2… whatever they decide to call it.

yes to 6.3mm audio outputs

yes to 5 pin midi

yes to dedicated sound buttons

yes to better midi functionality 

Such a board would be such a handy tool in the gig stable of amateur and semi pro alike. 

I would take it in 73/76 key format too.

I still own a Roland EP760 and a Kurzweil SP76 but would happily get rid of both if I could replace them with a Liano Pro. 

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

On 2/12/2024 at 9:42 AM, AnotherScott said:

There seems to be no easy way to toggle between sending audio back out to the attached interface (in this case, the Liano) and sending out of the iPad's headphone out (its own if it has one, or one attached to a USB-C hub on the newer iPads). And in my brief use of the latter, the headphones gave me the iPad's audio (being triggered by the Liano), but not the Liano's audio.

AFAIK iOS cannot address the headphone output and a separate audio interface simultaneously. I'm not sure what happens when connecting two separate audio interfaces using a hub - whether all outputs are seen or not. It can definitely see more than two outputs on a single interface if they're present - I've connected my MOTU Microbook IIc and all six outputs are available. But an interface and the headphone out? I don't think so. [Edit to add - my experience is with my iPad 9G and its "regular" headphone jack, not a newer iPad that outputs system audio via its USB-C jack].

As far as the iPad not outputting the Liano's audio, you would need to select the Liano as an input source in an iPad app like AUM and route it to whatever output you were using.

14 minutes ago, Reezekeys said:

AFAIK iOS cannot address the headphone output and a separate audio interface simultaneously. I'm not sure what happens when connecting two separate audio interfaces using a hub - whether all outputs are seen or not.

Yes, from some more research (though I have not experimented further myself), it seems iOS uses the last-attached-interface as the only interface.

14 minutes ago, Reezekeys said:

As far as the iPad not outputting the Liano's audio, you would need to select the Liano as an input source in an iPad app like AUM and route it to whatever output you were using.

I did have the Liano set as an input source (using Keystage), but I guess only for MIDI, there may be something else I need to do for iti to be seen as a source for audio as well.

• 4 weeks later...

I used the Liano at a gig for the first time this weekend, I was happy with it. I didn't use it to trigger iPad sounds, though that's still a plan... I only used it for its piano, Rhodes, and maybe strings somewhere. (Everything else was played on a Fantom-07 beneath.) I'm posting this video as an example, despite some issues (including a glitchy camera). I think the Liano acquitted itself well. Yeah, I hit some bum notes, and maybe I'd have hit fewer on a hammer action board (any semi-weighted makes it easier to accidentally trigger a wrong note on the way to the right one), but then again, maybe not. 😉 Really, it was extremely playable, and I was impressed with the ease of dynamics control, which so often suffers greatly on non-hammer boards, so I  thought it worth passing along the demonstration. There was no "adjustment" or "adaptation" to the board... I'd hardly played it at all before doing this gig.

Sonically, I connected both the left and right sides to the mixer feeding the EV ZXa1. I intended to see if one side sounded better than the other or if I should sum both sides (something I'd neglected to test at home), but setup ran behind and I forgot, so this is just the sound of the two sides summed to mono, which may or may not be the best way to get mono piano out of the board, so I make no claims there. But it sounded fine to me. No EQ applied, just some reverb. So if you'd want to get some sense of the Liano's sound/playability/dynamics in a live situation with a not-too-fancy single 8" PA speaker recorded on an iPhone, here ya' go. I guess I'd call it a baseline. 😉

• Like 2