Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg Liano

Finally

but as expected no midi din.

No use to me. Shame may have been a lightweight lower tier option if action was sweet for a semi weighted in my quest to reduce the lug.

Plus price ive seen makes the Numa Cocal 2x an absolute bargain. 

Edit: korg is 0.9 kg lighter than the Numa Cocal 2x and battery powered (adds a little weight)

7 minutes ago, AUSSIEKEYS said:

as expected no midi din.

No use to me. Shame may have been a lower tier option if action was sweet for a semi weighted in my quest to reduce the lug.

Spot on. That Numa plays very strongly in its little niche. 

Cheers, Mike.

After watching the few videos and looking at korg websites Im not sure this is semi weighted as it keeps sprouting "light touch" with no mention of semi weighted. Is it a synth type action.

Cant wait till someone gets to try one. Its very lightweight for a semi weighted but probably right for synth action?

6.2 kg is excitiing.  Why is it Im more excited about the weight of any new keyboard than any of its features other than midi dins. God I hate old age.

11 minutes ago, AUSSIEKEYS said:

6.2 kg is excitiing.  Why is it Im more excited about the weight of any new keyboard than any of its features other than midi dins. God I hate old age.

🤣 

Well... ehm..  in part is also because, for an average band gig (not piano solo of course) the quality of sound available in almost all keyboard today is at least "passable"... 

(it's ok as an excuse? fifty-years-old-with-hernia here speaking 😂)

• Haha 1

My band: www.tupamaros.it - Our music: https://tupamaros-it.bandcamp.com/

Galanti Accordion + Voicelive Play | Roland FA-07 | GSI Gemini Rack | MIDI Drawbars controller (custom made) | IK Multimedia UNO Synth Pro 

Just now, Garubi said:

🤣

(it's ok as an excuse? fifty-years-old-with-hernia here speaking 😂)

Hee hee yep been there done that (a double. Stupidly left it a long time then had it repaired. It then took 6 years to feel normal but its been great since. Dont leave it as long as i did. (3 years or so)

My problem now is carrying the weight with only 30% lung capacity.  So every saved kg helps. 

• Like 1

I just listened quickly to the demos, and I must say that I find the EP1 very nice and quite different from the ones included in the SV2. Does anybody have an idea where it could come from? Kronos? Nautilus?

It sounds also different from the ones included in the Vox Conti.

So this has raised my attention 🙂 (Sorry can't stop looking for the perfect EP sound 🤣).

1 hour ago, AUSSIEKEYS said:

After watching the few videos and looking at korg websites Im not sure this is semi weighted as it keeps sprouting "light touch" with no mention of semi weighted. Is it a synth type action.

Cant wait till someone gets to try one. Its very lightweight for a semi weighted but probably right for synth action?

I think the keybed is the same as the Kronos LS. I recognise this because of the odd spacing around the D keys.

I'm mystified why the Korg LS keybeds have a wider key spacing between either side of the D key. (C# and D#) The Kronos LS was the same. No other keybed I know of is like this, and being a pianist, it puts me off any unweighted action with this keybed installed.

The companions I can't live without: Kawai Acoustic Grand, Yamaha MontageM8x, Studiologic Numa Piano X GT, Kronos2-73, .
Other important stuff: Novation Summit, NI Komplete Ultimate 14 CE, Omnisphere, EW Hollywood Orchestra Opus, Spitfire Symphony Orchestra, Sonuscore Elysion and Orchestra Complete 3, Pianoteq 8 Pro, Roland RD88.

10 hours ago, pawelsz said:

Seems this is just the L1. 

Yes, but nothing wrong with that. In fact, only recently I happened to be thinking that maybe it was never going to come out.

6 hours ago, AUSSIEKEYS said:

I haven't seen a U.S. price yet, but this article says £339 (at this point, it's a guess as to whether that's street price, or an MSRP where it may be discounted from that), that seems to place it between the NC2 and NC2X, and also cheaper than Korg's B2, making good on the original statement that it would be Korg's lowest cost piano.

6 hours ago, AUSSIEKEYS said:

Supposedly it's the action from the Kronos LS, which was described as semi-weighted.

5 hours ago, jejefunkyman said:

I just listened quickly to the demos, and I must say that I find the EP1 very nice and quite different from the ones included in the SV2. Does anybody have an idea where it could come from? Kronos? Nautilus?

It sounds also different from the ones included in the Vox Conti.

So this has raised my attention 🙂 (Sorry can't stop looking for the perfect EP sound 🤣).

It's really hard to tell much about the Rhodes because at least from that demo, I'm not sure I'm hearing more than two velocity levels in that first EP demo... soft and bark... but maybe 3 in the later EP demo... either way, the full range of dynamic emulation is still an unknown. 

Kronos/Nautilus/Vox use the EP1 engine with modeling, I'd be surprised if any of that made it into a board like this. Even the Krome only uses sampled versions of those EP1 sounds.

But speaking of EPs, with only two, I'm disappointed that it's a Rhodes and an FM/DX7 rather than a Wurli, but I imagine some would prefer this combo.

4 hours ago, DeltaJockey said:

I think the keybed is the same as the Kronos LS. I recognise this because of the odd spacing around the D keys.

I'm pretty sure his earlier video said it was indeed the Kronos LS action, even though here he only says LS without mentioning Kronos. I've never played that action, I'm curious as to how it compares with, for example, the Numa Compact action.

My other questions...

Battery power is "up to" 8 hrs. I assume that's max, for listening through headphones or external amp... I wonder what it's minimum is, i.e. if playing though its speakers at max volume. If you could get even an hour, that would be pretty cool. Especially since it seems like it would be easy to pop in a fresh set when needed if you needed more time than that. (I assume one could use rechargeables.)

I assume the external speakers cut out if you plug anything into its combo headphone/line out jack, but it would be great of there were an option to leave them playing.

I wonder how loud/full its speakers sound compared both to the Numa Compact 2/2X (it wouldn't take much to beat them), and to some of the other portables. Specifically, is there any public performance scenario where they could possibly be enough, e.g. solo playing during a wedding ceremony or maybe a small cocktail hour area. (A lot of slabs can at least manage that, but the Numa does not, IMO.)

If you don't need the battery power, the question as to what it offers over the (presumably cheaper) Numa Compact 2 would seem to come down to whether its action feels better and/or its speakers are better.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

42 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

I wonder how loud/full its speakers sound compared both to the Numa Compact 2/2X (it wouldn't take much to beat them), and to some of the other portables. Specifically, is there any public performance scenario where they could possibly be enough, e.g. solo playing during a wedding ceremony or maybe a small cocktail hour area. (A lot of slabs can at least manage that, but the Numa does not, IMO.)

If you don't need the battery power, the question as to what it offers over the (presumably cheaper) Numa Compact 2 would seem to come down to whether its action feels better and/or its speakers are better.

It wouldn't take much to better the Numa C built in speakers. It's not the loudness which is the problem, you can turn it up quite decently, but the bandwidth is quite narrow, and mid range emphasized. An improvement might be to mount two iPhones, one each end and use those as speakers, ha 😉

I find the Numa's keybed to be pretty good for piano actually, for a synth action once you get used to it. On the other hand, I couldn't get past the D key spacing when once auditioning a Kronos LS!

The companions I can't live without: Kawai Acoustic Grand, Yamaha MontageM8x, Studiologic Numa Piano X GT, Kronos2-73, .
Other important stuff: Novation Summit, NI Komplete Ultimate 14 CE, Omnisphere, EW Hollywood Orchestra Opus, Spitfire Symphony Orchestra, Sonuscore Elysion and Orchestra Complete 3, Pianoteq 8 Pro, Roland RD88.

An ultra-portable 88 always seems like a bit of a contradiction to me, but I get that the manufacturers are aiming for the broadest appeal and in their estimation that means the same number of keys as the piano in people's living room.  Totally not useful to me no matter how good it sounds because the challenges I'm trying to address with an ultra-portable are, yes, weight, but even more often space.

• Like 1

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

With battery banks, lithium "power stations" and the like, there's probably a decent market for MI companies to offer these portable options. Speaking as an old guy who started off schlepping a Rhodes, Yamaha CP70, OBXa, and Yam KX88 (<-- I took that on a European tour in a Calzone plywood case!), I welcome this stuff. I've been playing an unweighted 61 now for over 30 years (!) but have sometimes had a "what if" thought to putting an 88-key guy in the mix. Hard to tell from a youtube, but the acoustic pianos in this Korg sound pretty good. The rhodes is a bit problematic (see my post two above this), and... pipe organ? Not for me. The strings sound pretty bad too. Of course I'd be connecting this to better sounds on an iPad or iPhone, but it would be good to have a really light 88 that, in a pinch, I could be happy with on its own. So far the Numa Compacts seem to get the closest to what I like.

I don't feel like you for the Rhodes sound. I hear a nice and clear timber, with enough background details and noises but not too much. And I think it's good to get the bark easily by simply pressing a bit harder on the keys (on the SV2, you have to press pretty hard to get it, depending of course on the velocity curve you choose).

I find the Tremolo effect also pretty nice, even though it seems to not be tweakable at all, or you can't even switch it off. 

The Rhodes sound of this keyboard is fine - but if, as I suspect, it has only a few velocity layers, the sound will seem to "jump" at points if you happen to hit the keyboard with velocities right on the line of that layer switch. That's what it sounds like to me. So regardless of what a listener may feel about the sound, as a player it would feel strange and unnatural to me.

I wouldn't call what I wrote a "final conclusion" - it's obviously speculation, based on what I heard in that video. I've encountered these "velocity jumps" in other DPs, and this sounded exactly like that. Of course we won't know for sure until someone sees one of these in the flesh and puts their hands on it. BTW, isn't speculation about not-yet-released products a time-honored tradition here? I wanted in on the fun too! 🙂

They said it's a beginner piano and it reminds me of the Yamaha 88 I started with except thinner and lighter.   Plus the USB interface,  Aux in would be something my old Yammie didn't have and would of been nice.    Seems like a good inexpensive piano for beginner or as in the guitar world we'd call a "beater" to toss in car and take on vacation or similar trip and have something to play. 

AnotherScott

I found price yesterday on ebay US 659.99 advertised here in Aussie.

Ebay price in AUD 977.55

postage to Australia AUD 228.10

A Numa Cocal 2x last i looked was around AUD 1099 (normally AUD 1299 ) but probably get it for AUD 999 street value as ive seen some offered online one presently at AUD 1029

and a Numa Cocal piano around 999.99 not sure of its street value as i dont follow those.

The Liano pricing far to close to Numas pricing that i think id go Numa Cocal unless the Liano was super nice to play.

Theres only .9kg difference in weight so although saving more weight which is a blessing to me the Numa Cocal has so many features as a bonus for very little weight above the Liano

The name. Do you like it?

Liano...Is it clever or nice

a rose would still be a weed if it didnt have a pretty flower. Craggy looking trunk and branches with deadly thorns. In fact akin to blackberries but we think of the word of rose as beauty.

Is this name a beauty because it is simply to rhyme with Piano  hmmmmmm interesting or not?.

I dont mind it over a numbered name im sick of Modx type names or jx8p type names 

So its better tgan the "Korg Li" it may have had

But i think i would have called it "Bob".

The new Korg Bob.

14 minutes ago, AUSSIEKEYS said:

A Numa Cocal 2x last i looked was around AUD 1099 (normally AUD 1299 ) but probably get it for AUD 999 street value as ive seen some offered online one presently at AUD 1029

What is a Numa Cocal? Am I missing something?

25 minutes ago, DeltaJockey said:

What is a Numa Cocal? Am I missing something?

Yes you're missing my stupid sense of humour. (Not your fault but mine).

I have a tendancy to expand names or change them for fun. If i can bend a name i will. Bit like circuit bending.

Numa Compact 2x which i make a play on the word Pneumococcal (which was big on aussie TV years ago so much it sunk in. Its a great word thats wasted on disease).

You're not the only one to question that. I think it was Mr Stokely ages ago who also mentioned it with a question mark.

Im not sure i can classify it as aussie humour as id hate to deride a fellow aussie as being like me but we have a tendency of bending words.

Im a bit irreverent to naming conventions

Oh I see. 😆

Well I'm Aussie too, (East Gippsland), but I never saw Pneumococcal. Now that I know your style, I'll look out for it!

Just now, DeltaJockey said:

Oh I see. 😆

Well I'm Aussie too, (East Gippsland), but I never saw Pneumococcal. Now that I know your style, I'll look out for it!

Wow Delta you're almost local to me im on morninton peninsula. Whats that 4.5 hours. I thought with a name like Delta you'd be US based.

You're the closest ive met to me on here i think. Although im ex Sydney i moved here a number of years ago so still am not Victorian savy refusing to drive in the city but Gippsland is lovely and have a soft spot for Lakes Entrance 

Yeah just forgive me my indescretions i like to joke a bit whether it works or not. It doesnt matter

No worries, now I know what to expect with your humour, it's all good :)

Yeah, Lakes is in my neighbourhood. I live near Orbost. Retired here a few years ago. Am originally from Melb but have moved around. Tas, Snowy Mtns, and Canberra for 26 years.

I sometimes am selling synths etc, and occasionally have to meet buyers halfway at about Rosedale. The one problem  living in a regional area and selling stuff!

.....My name is a hang-on from a handle I had as a teenager with CB radio in the 70's, and I did DJ'ing for a time in the 70's too, mostly around the Dandenong ranges.

Great to meet you.

Yes like you even selling anything on Mornington Peninsula is problematic although we are generally only 1 hour from Melbourne proper no one wants to travel from city. They say I'd only travel there for holidays (to other people from OS this is one of melbournes holiday areas). And yet theyd have a lovely seaside town ro visit. 

Yet in sydney i lived any where from 1 hour to 1.5 hours out of Sydney proper and people would travel but it was still metropolitan although outer.

I find with the uptake of the internet people are so lazy they want everything sent.

Im about to let a bunch of stuff go on gumtree and Ill bet city people wont want to travel an hour to pickup. My health and crappy knowledge of melbourne suburbs makes travelling halfway not applicable but i get your dilemma. 

Yes to OS people i know this is a korg thread but hey theres not much info to talk about yet on the piano so im just "chewin the fat" with a fellow Victorian till any dirt is found on the Liano. Hee hee. You might enjoy the insight into Southern Australian life. God I can talk. Hee hee

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUSSIEKEYS said:

I found price yesterday on ebay US 659.99 advertised here in Aussie.

Ebay isn't a seller, it's a place where anyone can put up anything they want. It's not uncommon for someone to ask an outrageous price for something brand new that isn't yet widely available, figuring someone will want it enough to pay to get it first.

Sweetwater has it listed now, $399.99 compared to $529.99 for the Numa Compact 2X, so it's more aggressively priced than I'd thought.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

11 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

Sweetwater has it listed now, $399.99 compared to $529.99 for the Numa Compact 2X, so it's more aggressively priced than I'd thought.

Thanks Scott. Yep you are right someone gouging thanks for showing correct pricing in US. Needless to say no official Aussie prices i can find.

I am interested in this one if i go back to gigging (i had a jam with a fellow on weekend so Im looking at bands although an impending possible house move may hold me off doing anything so i have time to windowshop.

My Casio Px330 although light for a weighted piano (11.5kg) is still difficult for me to lug once in its bag with music rest and pedal, power supply, mic leads etc etc. I wouldn't doubt it gets close to 15kg (ill weigh it soon)

If as you mention Aussie prices are less then it may be on radar. But Korg importers are prone to keep prices higher in Aussie. I wouldnt be surprised if up near AUD 1000. My thought it should be a AUD 600 keyboard to best the Numa

8 minutes ago, AUSSIEKEYS said:

Great to meet you.

Yes like you even selling anything on Mornington Peninsula is problematic although we are generally only 1 hour from Melbourne proper no one wants to travel from city. They say I'd only travel there for holidays (to other people from OS this is one of melbournes holiday areas). And yet theyd have a lovely seaside town ro visit. 

Yet in sydney i lived any where from 1 hour to 1.5 hours out of Sydney proper and people would travel but it was still metropolitan although outer.

I find with the uptake of the internet people are so lazy they want everything sent.

Im about to let a bunch of stuff go on gumtree and Ill bet city people wont want to travel an hour to pickup. My health and crappy knowledge of melbourne suburbs makes travelling halfway not applicable but i get your dilemma. 

Yes to OS people i know this is a korg thread but hey theres not much info to talk about yet on the piano so im just "chewin the fat" with a fellow Victorian till any dirt is found on the Liano. Hee hee. You might enjoy the insight into Southern Australian life. God I can talk. Hee hee

Yes, nice to get to talk to someone on here who is local too!

I do quite a bit of freighting with stuff. Sometimes I get local people who are happy because they don't have to drive to Melb. Sold a bit of stuff to locals in Lakes.

...Back to the Liano, looking at the specs on the Korg site, it would appear it doesn't have USB audio. That's another plus for the Numa's. I would hope that the Liano is priced considerably less, as I guess it's competing with things like Roland FP10? Or dare I say the Go Piano! Here in Aus, you'd hope it would be no more than $700 -800. Otherwise, I'm not really sure what you're getting for the extra cost.