Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's in your eyes? (as OT as you make it)

4 hours ago, surfergirl said:

Oahu most people don't know exists. I worked here one summer while in High School. Most fun Job I ever had.

https://youtu.be/O1uM8Tef5Zs

Nice...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

On 10/14/2022 at 11:56 AM, surfergirl said:

Ever since I started working in a factory, I've been intrigued by the manufacturing process. I don't think people realize how much is still done by hand, even in the machine era. 

No question. However, even those machine processes can be fascinating.

There’s a show we used to watch a lot that my Mom has recently rediscovered called How it’s Made.  i don’t know if it’s still in production, but it’s definitely airing in rerun-a-thons.

And the name says it all- that’s all they show: how different things and products in the world are made.  There’s no rhyme or reason, it’s just…short mini-documentaries on how something- candy, instruments, car parts, sports equipment, etc.- gets fashioned from its based elements to finished products.

Some of what shows up is artisan/craftsman made.  Some are recognizable global brand name products.  It’s really a series with something for everyone.

And as surfergirl points out, some of the manufacturing processes depicted do have steps that are done or supervised by human workers, not just machines. 

• Like 3

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

1 hour ago, Dannyalcatraz said:

There’s a show we used to watch a lot that my Mom has recently rediscovered called How it’s Made.

I always enjoyed watching that!

How it's made:                

This is an AkuShaper, which is

the machine we. It takes about 20-30 minutes to rough shape a board. Once it comes off the machine it takes about 4-6 hours(not counting time for the resin to dry between steps)to finish, sometimes more.There is a minimum of 4 steps done by 3 or 4 workers to finish. 

https://youtu.be/U4qsCJM5t1U

• Like 2
  • Love 1
Jenny S.

5 hours ago, surfergirl said:

How it's made:                

This is an AkuShaper, which is

the machine we. It takes about 20-30 minutes to rough shape a board. Once it comes off the machine it takes about 4-6 hours(not counting time for the resin to dry between steps)to finish, sometimes more.There is a minimum of 4 steps done by 3 or 4 workers to finish. 

https://youtu.be/U4qsCJM5t1U

Here’s a H.I.M. surfboard segment from a decade or so ago, featuring Hobie:

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

14 minutes ago, surfergirl said:

Thanks, I looked for this last night and couldn't find it. Best video I've seen on the entire process without being to long.

You’re welcome!

Does that video depict what you’re seeing in your workplace these days, or have things become more automated?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dannyalcatraz said:

You’re welcome!

Does that video depict what you’re seeing in your workplace these days, or have things become more automated?

We use the shaping machine. It does the work of the planer and saw, a shaper finishes it. Everything else is pretty much right on. 

• Like 3
Jenny S.

1 hour ago, surfergirl said:

We have never seen snow, never seen temperature below 60, but at the top of our list of things we want to do is 🏂. It will be several years before we can afford to so for now we can only dream.

https://youtu.be/1JDNz4JjbsQ

About 20 years ago I went down to Orlando, Florida in January for a business trip.  When I arrived, the cab driver who took me to the hotel actually apologized for the cold weather, since it was in the upper fifties that day.  I told him when I left my house in suburban Detroit that morning it was 10 degrees outside, with a foot of snow covering my front yard.  Upper fifties felt like summer weather to me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
I rock; therefore, I am.

31 minutes ago, Sharkman said:

About 20 years ago I went down to Orlando, Florida in January for a business trip.  When I arrived, the cab driver who took me to the hotel actually apologized for the cold weather, since it was in the upper fifties that day.  I told him when I left my house in suburban Detroit that morning it was 10 degrees outside, with a foot of snow covering my front yard.  Upper fifties felt like summer weather to me.

I know, right?!

Have you ever been in a Southern local like, say, North or South Carolina, when a dusting, an inch or so of snow came down? PURE PANIC STRICKEN PANDEMONIUM!! 😆

• Like 3

14 hours ago, surfergirl said:

We have never seen snow, never seen temperature below 60, but at the top of our list of things we want to do is 🏂. It will be several years before we can afford to so for now we can only dream.

https://youtu.be/1JDNz4JjbsQ

12 hours ago, Sharkman said:

That's me, that's a snowblower, that's the SUV I had at the time to the right (that's its tail-light peeking out there to give you an idea of how much snow was on top of it), that's snow that I measured being 48" deep in places, all of which came down pretty rapidly over the course of a day and a night here in 2017...

bMes3li.jpg

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

That's me, that's a snowblower, that's the SUV I had at the time to the right (that's its tail-light peeking out there to give you an idea of how much snow was on top of it), that's snow that I measured being 48" deep in places, all of which came down pretty rapidly over the course of a day and a night here in 2017...

bMes3li.jpg

Yikes!

I might be farther north than you are (about 25 miles south of the Canadian border) but snow that sticks on the ground is not that common. 

We are right on the coast, behind islands. What's fun here is a mixture of layers of snow and ice on hills. 

A Subaru will get you up almost anything, going downhill requires expensive tires that you might only need briefly once a year. 

Or you can just slide "into the ditch".

I chose a location that is a fairly short walk to groceries (3 different stores in 3 different directions) and just leave the car sit sometimes. We do get a foot or two of snow once in a while but then the rain comes and then it freezes and sometimes more snow - layers. My golden rule is "snow boots and walk where there are no footprints. Much less slip and slide. 

Last winter it got all the way down to 9 degrees one evening, that's the first time in the 17 years I've lived here that it got so cold. 

For all that, we have the best summers I've ever experienced. 

• Like 2
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

8 hours ago, KuruPrionz said:

Last winter it got all the way down to 9 degrees one evening, that's the first time in the 17 years I've lived here that it got so cold. 

For all that, we have the best summers I've ever experienced. 

All the way down to 9???  In January 1985 there was one morning where it was 20 below zero outside, and it warmed up to zero later in the day.  I had to work, so I drove in that bitter cold.  The heater in my car got up to kinda warm, but that was it.  In January 2013 I had a hearing in Livingston County Circuit Court for a lawsuit I had.  It was 13 below zero that morning.  When my lawyer showed up, I told him "Jim, we're the only ones here.  There are literally no other human beings in the circuit court section of this building."  We had to reschedule the hearing, because while I was able to drive forty miles in that bitter cold, and my lawyer drove about sixty miles, none of the judges, clerks, bailiffs, or anyone else working there drove to work that day.

• Like 1
I rock; therefore, I am.

1 minute ago, Sharkman said:

All the way down to 9???  In January 1985 there was one morning where it was 20 below zero outside, and it warmed up to zero later in the day.  I had to work, so I drove in that bitter cold.  The heater in my car got up to kinda warm, but that was it.  In January 2013 I had a hearing in Livingston County Circuit Court for a lawsuit I had.  It was 13 below zero that morning.  When my lawyer showed up, I told him "Jim, we're the only ones here.  There are literally no other human beings in the circuit court section of this building."  We had to reschedule the hearing, because while I was able to drive forty miles in that bitter cold, and my lawyer drove about sixty miles, none of the judges, clerks, bailiffs, or anyone else working there drove to work that day.

I've got relatives in Minnesota so I totally get that 9 degrees is not as cold as it gets. 😇

Long ago, my cousins sent us a letter (I was in Fresno, where hot is HOT), it was winter and they were all huddled together by the fireplace. It was around 70 below plus a wind chill factor and the heating oil froze in the pipes so the fireplace was all they had to keep from turning blue. 

I chose Bellingham for many reasons but relatively mild weather was not the least of them. In general, the East Coast and Midwest gets MUCH colder (and hotter in the summer) than the West Coast. I timed it well, it's expensive to move here now but in 2006 it was very reasonable. 

• Like 2
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Do you want a good laugh?  A really good laugh?  There’s a UK-based comedic troupe that has done a few plays and now have a TV series.  The core conceit is that they’re a community theatrical group trying to do some quality work…and things go wrong.  EPICALLY wrong.  Snowball down a mountain wrong.  Spinal Tap wrong.

The best summary description I can give it: high-brow slapstick, well-performed.  I’ve personally seen The Play That Goes Wrong online and in a theater with friends & family.  I’ve seen Peter Pan Goes Wrong online, as well as excerpts from A Christmas Carol Goes Wrong.

And I just this past October discovered our local PBS station is airing The Goes Wrong tv show, and I’ve caught 2 of the 30 minute episodes.

Check your local listings and theater schedule!  They have been touring the Play for a while, now, and they’re playing the Kennedy Center next year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Goes_Wrong_Show

https://broadwaygoeswrong.com

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Pan_Goes_Wrong

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7766092/

• Like 5

A 90-minute documentary on Bill Watterson, the influential yet reclusive creator of Calvin and Hobbes. This documentary is a very good one, and probably the best documentary I have watched in years.

Featuring interviews from fellow cartoonists such as Stephan Pastis and Berke Breathed, the documentary is everything you need to know about the 6 year old and his tiger but were afraid to ask. I hold Watterson in the same regard as Charles Schulz and Stephen Hillenburg. He is a constant source of inspiration to every cartoonist he has influenced, and despite the fact that he hates the idea of being a celebrity, he is still a genius. A reclusive genius, but still a genius.

• Love 1