Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's in your eyes? (as OT as you make it)

2 hours ago, surfergirl said:

So far 6 deaths and the hospitals on Maui are overwhelmed. They are flying burn victims to Honolulu for treatment. People where jumping in the ocean to escape the fire. They had to evacuate one evacuation center. I think Oahu is going to be ok, but I'll be glad to be home.  

The "Sad" Emoji that I reacted with seems too glib. This is terrible, terrible sad news.

• Like 4

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Death toll has now reached an horrific number, 36. This could have been Waialua and Hale'iwa. Similar to Lahaina in size and local.

Here are some before and after pics from Lahaina. The 3rd kinda shows the hopelessness as the watch the fire approach them.23fc8c7a-02dd-4108-bbf0-8a0210f39e13.jpg.32cd23bee4e1a9ff52bdf94f80b5b786.jpg1f4003ca-23d9-4025-b76e-0e93cadfa63f.jpg.90b557973a9938e6df6a15375b08f78e.jpg0810-cmo-mauiwildfires-vigliotti-2196043-640x360.thumb.jpg.0a9442fbf07eada5070ae8ef4c09464d.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
Jenny S.

@surfergirl, Thank you for providing the pictures.  We are all saddened by the loss of life and the loss property in this tragedy. I know we are all thankful for those that survived as well.  I will make sure to make a Red Cross donation for the people of Lahaina. 

• Like 2
Take care, Larryz

On 8/11/2023 at 7:01 PM, skipclone 1 said:

Awful and tragic.
I have a friend who used to perform with us, she has been studying on the big island. 
They are taking relief donations at The Still & Moving Center, in Honomu.  

Correction-my friend is on Oahu. For those not in the area, she suggested Red Cross as the best way to help. 

• Like 4

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

2 hours ago, surfergirl said:

Everyone knows Mick Fleetwood as a founding member and drummer for Fleetwood Mac, but how many know him as a Lahaina restaurant owner?

https://youtu.be/b121aLzpOB8

A terrible tragedy. A stand-up guy, for looking out for his employees.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, surfergirl said:

Everyone knows Mick Fleetwood as a founding member and drummer for Fleetwood Mac, but how many know him as a Lahaina restaurant owner?

https://youtu.be/b121aLzpOB8

I had seen his restaurant on The Food Network- I believe in one of Guy Fieri’s shows.  Surreally, when I turned on the TV to find out about the wildfires, the destruction of his restaurant was mentioned maybe 2 minutes after I tuned in.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Right-so someone posted on FB looking for help or advice.

A family in Indonesia lost contact with their daughter. So did her school and job.
They asked this person-also from Indonesia I think-to help, she had been staying with a Japanese 

guy and he had 'taken her away'. Even worse, from court records the Japanese guy was involved in a similar case six years ago. He strangled a Japanese girl, then took an overdose of pills and claimed it was a 'double suicide' that didn't work out-he lived.

Several of us were trying to figure out what to do, then we got the worst possible news-they found the Indonesian girl's body in his apartment. We were kind of in shock, I sent sympathies to the family. The guy who asked for help posted several links-

the (suspected) killer had a FB page that was still up and running. I didn't know what else I could do. At first I ignored it. I was chatting with a

friend about it and she said, OMG this guy is posting on his page NOW.
I checked it-there was some nonsense about his 'relationship' with the girl and statements against some organizations I didn't know. It was clearly a suicide note. I went to the guy's FB page and tried to say, don't do that. Talk to people and get help.
Then suddenly-there's no other way to say it-a boiling mad mob of Indonesian people started posting messages on that page that amounted to 'burn in hell'. Then they turned on me for 'sympathizing with the killer', 'disrespecting the family', there was name calling-it went on until this morning. I just stopped replying. The police arrested the guy, so far he has denied committing murder. I think FB probably took down his page by now, not interested in checking.   
This, because I replied to someone who was looking for help. Maybe I'm done with that. 

UPDATE: Nope-I'm still being 'mentioned in comments'.
I was hoping to visit Bali again someday. Guess not.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, skipclone 1 said:

A family in Indonesia lost contact with their daughter. So did her school and job.
They asked this person-also from Indonesia I think-to help, she had been staying with a Japanese 

guy and he had 'taken her away'. Even worse, from court records the Japanese guy was involved in a similar case six years ago. He strangled a Japanese girl, then took an overdose of pills and claimed it was a 'double suicide' that didn't work out-he lived.

Several of us were trying to figure out what to do, then we got the worst possible news-they found the Indonesian girl's body in his apartment. We were kind of in shock, I sent sympathies to the family. The guy who asked for help posted several links-

the (suspected) killer had a FB page that was still up and running. I didn't know what else I could do. At first I ignored it. I was chatting with a

I checked it-there was some nonsense about his 'relationship' with the girl and statements against some organizations I didn't know. It was clearly a suicide note. I went to the guy's FB page and tried to say, don't do that. Talk to people and get help.
Then suddenly-there's no other way to say it-a boiling mad mob of Indonesian people started posting messages on that page that amounted to 'burn in hell'. Then they turned on me for 'sympathizing with the killer', 'disrespecting the family', there was name calling-it went on until this morning. I just stopped replying. The police arrested the guy, so far he has denied committing murder. I think FB probably took down his page by now, not interested in checking.   
This, because I replied to someone who was looking for help. Maybe I'm done with that. 

I am very sorry that any and all of that happened. That's terrible.

There are those of us, we who know and love you, Skip, and understand.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, skipclone 1 said:

Further proof that no good deed goes unpunished.

• Like 5
I rock; therefore, I am.

14 hours ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

I am very sorry that any and all of that happened. That's terrible.

There are those of us, we who know and love you, Skip, and understand.

Thanks Caevan, massively.

I'm just feeling kind of ambushed. In fact make that just bushed.

It's been almost exactly a year since another soc media blowup.
I believe I'm just gonna stick to family and friends.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, skipclone 1 said:

Thanks Caevan, massively.

I'm just feeling kind of ambushed. In fact make that just bushed.

Consider it a way that proximity to such subject matter can affect a person. Try not to take it personally. You were in the wrong place at the wrong time with the right idea.

Be well and good. And don't let the toxicity of such terrible acts and occurrences and the heated feelings of others poison you.

• Like 2

In addition to his stint as the host of game shows Tattletales and Super Password, Bert Convy was also a talented actor and singer, appearing in productions of Fiddler On The Roof and Cabaret, and performing on the MDA Telethon and on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson. Here he is performing She Believes In Me on the MDA Telethon in 1979.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, surfergirl said:

With our 4 piece band being on a 3 year hiatus while we wait for our lead guitarist to return from the mainland we are now considering playing as a trio. The question, for me, became how to play guitar in a 1 guitar band. 

https://youtu.be/nsYiir-Vb5k?si=0XfxW24GhGiiVNoU

A huge factor is "who is singing?". The Who had a full time vocalist, Pete Townshend sang harmonies. He has always been a brilliant strummer and not so much a single note lead guitarist. I've seen The Who, great band. I never saw Jimi Hendrix, he played guitar and sang, was very adept at chords and solo work, famous for changing the way electric guitar was played and rightly so. Bit of a challenge to try and stand in his shoes. Primary singer for Cream was Jack Bruce, great bassist and singer. Eric Clapton did sing harmonies, a solid player in all respects. I never saw Cream either. I did see The Police, Sting held down the bass and vocals and Andy Summers did a fantastic job on guitar for them. 

Figure out who does what and when. Play like YOU!!!! As long as the drums and bass can hold a groove and the choruses to the songs get sung clearly, your audience will love it. I think we often worry too much about our own limitations. I was playing in a 4 piece band as lead guitarist with the other guitarist being the primary singer. One night just when we were starting out on a gig, I saw our singer step up to the mic and a huge blue spark flew off and burned a significant chunk of his mustache. He looked like a hammered steer and staggered off slowly to the bathroom, where he commenced to puking. 

All of a sudden, I was the lead singer and lead guitarist of a 3 piece band. I knew enough songs to get us through the next set and a half and eventually our singer returned. 

I was not prepared for that but I had no other option but to move forward so I did. The crowd stuck around and had a good time so I guess I wasn't too bad. 

You can do it!!!! Jump in with both feet!!!!!

• Like 2
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

@surfergirl, I think the best power trio is drums, keyboard and 1 guitar.  If one of them can sing, you'll have the same lineup as The Doors.  The keyboard can cover the rhythm chords and the bass.  If you're going the Cream, SRV, etc., route the guitar has to cover the chords and the leads at the same time (much like your video).  I would rather work with 2 guitars and a bass if I had to do a 3 piece.  Then hire a drummer when needed.

I play rhythm guitar and a little lead.  I like a 4-piece band like Beatles, CCR, etc.  I play solo and I'll add anyone who wants to play with me like my harmonica player, drummer, bass player, etc., just makes me sound much better.  I just can't let the rhythm guitar chord parts stop to play a lead or the bottom drops out IMHO.  When playing solo and the lead parts comes up, I continue with the chords and just add little runs and arpeggios to fill in the lead section till someone shows up to take a lead LoL!  Have fun with the trio!  😎👍

• Like 1
Take care, Larryz

This will be a small side project. We still get together a couple times a month just to keep our timing together. I don't have a lot of extra time right now. I won't take anytime away from busking. That's my priority and we're doing about five 2 hour sessions a week. Anything with the Trio would for friends and family only, parties, wedding receptions, etc. Then only if we're comfortable with how we sound.

• Like 3
Jenny S.

@surfergirl, That's great busking news! Keep up the good work!  +1 on playing for friends, family and wedding parties (which have been my last few gigs).  I'm trying to retire completely but I can't turn friends down.  I may do a few open mics now and then as I only have to show up with 4 or 5 tunes. I like jamming with a few of my buds or just playing at home for my own enjoyment.  Keep at it and have fun! 😎👍

• Like 3
Take care, Larryz

11 hours ago, surfergirl said:

This will be a small side project. We still get together a couple times a month just to keep our timing together. I don't have a lot of extra time right now. I won't take anytime away from busking. That's my priority and we're doing about five 2 hour sessions a week. Anything with the Trio would for friends and family only, parties, wedding receptions, etc. Then only if we're comfortable with how we sound.

It sounds like busking is putting some money in your pocket while you're having fun doing it.  That's how it should be. 😄

• Like 4
I rock; therefore, I am.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2023 at 12:32 PM, surfergirl said:

With our 4 piece band being on a 3 year hiatus while we wait for our lead guitarist to return from the mainland we are now considering playing as a trio. The question, for me, became how to play guitar in a 1 guitar band. 

https://youtu.be/nsYiir-Vb5k?si=0XfxW24GhGiiVNoU

As mentioned, “who is singing”- if anyone- is important.

There’s LOTS of power trios out there.  The Doors were mentioned.  There was ELP.  And post-Peter Gabriel Genesis.  Rush.  The Police. Zebra.  Budgie.  Primus.  The Yeah Yeah Yeahs.  Concrete Blonde.  The Bad Livers.  Unlocking the Truth.  ZZ Top.

Etc.

One thing I’ve noticed with the ones that have guitarists is that they’re not always playing typical lead OR rhythm styles.  A lot of them play with more atmospheric techniques than is typical, kind of like keyboard/synth players.  You’ll hear them leaving true rhythm to the bass & drum.  Sometimes, the bass is more of a lead instrument than the guitar.

FWIW, in a lot of these bands, one or both of the non-percussionists is also a multi-instrumentalist.  You’ll see guitar/keyboard or bass/keyboard pretty often.

• Like 4

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Another thought is using effects to fill out the sound of the Rhythm Guitar, anything from a simple Mod effect, to one of EHX' 9-series pedals. Use the effect sparingly, so it stands out when it's On. Fingerpicking also adds a world of texture and harmony to otherwise simple Chord structures.

• Like 3

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

• 4 weeks later...