Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's in your eyes? (as OT as you make it)

Spent my Sunday with 50000 of my new and old friends who chose not to watch football. This is the 1st Eddie since 2016, waves need be a minimum of 20ft. The waves were around 30ft yesterday. What really exciting to me is this is the first Eddie with women competing.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2023/01/23/huge-waves-huge-crowds-this-years-eddie/

• Like 5
Jenny S.

That'll chase all the nudee.cuties away for sure. At that point it is (or was) a fully nude beach. I think that was near the trail down from scripps institute. I used to surf there years ago. I was able to look at the eye candy and get some decent beach break waves, a double winner. The climb down the trail and back up with a board, and wet-suit was a little hairy at times.

• Like 2

On the plane back from gigs in New York, I watched Dune, the 2021 version, not the 1984 mess that Lynch butchered. A couple reactions: (1) the score, by Hans Zimmer, was really beautiful, appropriate, transcendent, & felt perfectly in sync with the story & production approach. As opposed to his Dunkirk score, which felt phoned in, never worked for any given scene, & where the best, most elegiac gesture in a truly heroic moment in military history was when we departed from Zimmer's score for a section of Elgar's Enigma Variations, which alone was successful at setting the tone of what it meant to be a part of English culture & history during an epic trial by fire.

(2) Timothée Chalamet, playing Paul Atreides, the hero,  looks exactly like Syd Barrett. He definitely has the part when the Syd Barrett story gets made into a movie. It's uncanny.

• Like 4
Scott Fraser

Speaking of Dune, I often think of Herbert's line, "To stay awake all night adds a day to your life."

Got up yesterday at around 2 AM, to watch the snow coming down. By around 6 AM, it was done, and by lunchtime, all but the shadiest spots were clear again, but at least I got to see it. If you love Winter, which I do, living in D.C. is much like being a surfer, or a mountain climber, and moving to Kansas.

I usually let my dogs out around 5 AM, so I get to see the earliest part of the day, and the colors at dawn are like an Impressionist's dream palette, warm pinks and purple, hints of gold, with the stark outlines of the bare trees for contrast. It's often the nicest part of the day, because those warm colors usually mean a new weather front moving in, with varying shades of grey.

Mars has been visible the last few nights, but there's too much ambient light to get a good look at that green comet, even with my high-powered binoculars. Maybe when it comes around again . . .

The first Crocus blooms are already coming out in one of my flowerbeds, and the Hyacinths have been poking through for a couple of weeks. I was out the other day cutting back Honeysuckle, Vinca vine, and English Ivy, because like Rust, Vines Never Sleep. If I don't get ahead of them now, I'll never get ahead of them.

No, I haven't been going much of anywhere, nor doing much of anything interesting. February is the quiet time for my work, between the holidays and the beginning of Spring, so I tend to things at home. The holidays were also very expensive, and not in a fun way; more like "The Sound Of Things Falling Apart." Spending some time in my own garden with my dogs is a nice break.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

13 hours ago, Winston Psmith said:

I often think of Herbert's line, "To stay awake all night adds a day to your life."

...there's too much ambient light to get a good look at that green comet, even with my high-powered binoculars.

Maybe when it comes around again . . .

Maybe.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Yesterday we said goodbye to Aloha Stadium. It will be torn down and replaced a new stadium which hopefully will bring more intertainment to Oahu. My mother saw The Eagles here in 2005 and I saw them here in 2018. 

https://hawaiinewsnow.com/2023/02/26/state-prepares-build-new-stadium-thousands-flock-bid-aloha-old-one/

• Like 2
  • Love 2
Jenny S.

6 hours ago, surfergirl said:

Yesterday we said goodbye to Aloha Stadium. It will be torn down and replaced a new stadium which hopefully will bring more intertainment to Oahu. My mother saw The Eagles here in 2005 and I saw them here in 2018. 

https://hawaiinewsnow.com/2023/02/26/state-prepares-build-new-stadium-thousands-flock-bid-aloha-old-one/

I knew a guy back in the Eighties that worked on the Washtenaw County Sheriff's Department.  He always worked security for the University of Michigan football home games.  The university paid for the security, and when they traveled, they brought along a few Washtenaw County guys just for their own security.  But when the U of M had to travel to Hawaii to play the U of H team, all of a sudden longtime deputies with seniority pulled rank and flew to Hawaii at U of M's expense to provide valuable security.  And some took their wives and kids too, just to make sure that the U of M had high quality security.  *LOL!*

• Haha 2
I rock; therefore, I am.

1 hour ago, Sharkman said:

I knew a guy back in the Eighties that worked on the Washtenaw County Sheriff's Department.  He always worked security for the University of Michigan football home games.  The university paid for the security, and when they traveled, they brought along a few Washtenaw County guys just for their own security.  But when the U of M had to travel to Hawaii to play the U of H team, all of a sudden longtime deputies with seniority pulled rank and flew to Hawaii at U of M's expense to provide valuable security.  And some took their wives and kids too, just to make sure that the U of M had high quality security.  *LOL!*

Makes perfect sense. My mother has a booth at the swap meet, which is in the stadium parking lot. I know from experience that those swap meet people can be very dangerous.🤣

Plus the wives and children can keep them distracted while the team gets safely into the stadium.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
Jenny S.

@Scott Fraser- We got a quick blast of not-quite-Winter weather a few days back, and I was worried that the blooms would get soaked and frozen before they every got to open, but we slid through. This tree is one of my favorite signs of Spring.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

My garden beds are going nuts!

The large Tulip Magnolia is just past its peak, but it's still impressive. The furthest back beds are full of Daffodils, so that whole area is full of yellows and whites. I have 10 out of 12 Peonies showing their tips in the Peony bed, and I've cleared all the weeds, Grapevines and other junk from my Raspberry bed.

One side of the fence is lined with Forsythia, which I let grow tall, 8 to 10 feet. Some folks like to cut it down into compact shrubs, but I like the long branches, they're more dramatic, and full of color.

Out front, in the Horseshoe Bed (named for its shape), the Hyacinths are blooming, Pinks and Purples, I have a couple of different Coral Bells coming out, a Dicentra that's already putting out flowers(?), and Sweet Woodruff taking over one side of the bed, while a dark-leaved Ajuga covers the other side.

My Iris bed is also filling out, although everything is still very small, so it looks like a bed full of short greenery for now. Mid-season, the Bearded Iris get to be around 4-5 feet tall, with light Blue flowers, the bright Purple Liatris spikes are around 2-3 feet, the white False Dragonhead filling in among the Irises gets to be around 3 feet, and the low-growing hardy Orchids around the edge get to be 14-18 inches.

The Lilacs are forming buds that look like tiny Grape clusters right now, smaller than an acorn, and I see some Daylilies that need to move from the back beds to the Iris Bed.

I'll try to get some photos later on, however, my assignment for today is to make up 8 or 9 Flower Arrangements for a St. Patrick's Day lunch, so . . .

• Like 3

March 2017 here; the last few days we got a good bit of snow, too, a thorough blanket covering everything and the kind of snowfall that lines all the tree branches double their thickness in white- though nothing remotely like that 48" I measured here in 2017...

That little dark object peeking out from the huge mound of snow on the right? That's the tip of the side-view mirror on my SUV, with the driver's-side taillight barely visible there in back...

bMes3li.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

• 2 weeks later...