Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's in your eyes? (as OT as you make it)

hurricane hugo

4 hours ago, surfergirl said:

OSHA makes me wear shoes to work. 

The fiends!

Protective toe shoes/boots required?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

About 10 years ago, I bought my first slip-resistant, leather slip-on work shoes to wear in my kitchen.  I instantly felt more secure in my kitchen with their purchase.  After I wore them out, I replaced them, and have done so repeatedly a few times.

• Like 4

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

17 hours ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

The fiends!

Protective toe shoes/boots required?

No steel or alloy, we use a lot of electric tool. Composite toe(I have no idea what that means)and slip-resistance.

• Like 2

Jennifer S.

1 hour ago, surfergirl said:

No steel or alloy, we use a lot of electric tool. Composite toe(I have no idea what that means)and slip-resistance.

Be safe!

That'd be a non-metal protective toe shoe. That also has the benefit of not feeling like the toe-box is freezing in cold conditions like we often have here in New York! The last work boots I bought a few years ago (for a while now I've had an office job, not requiring safety shoes or boots) are 8" or 10" (I can't recall) all leather, water resistant, steel-toe, slip resistant, and electric shock resistant, too- plus really comfy! Nice boots!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, surfergirl said:

Composite toe

This is a reinforced “plastic” toe shield. Unlike steel toe, which can also literally chop your toes off if crushed, will not cause your toes to freeze in winter(tropical climate excluded) 🙃, nor risk conducting electricity. And a lot lighter which makes a difference when wearing them everyday.

Gotta love our toes!!! Safety first… keep OSHA happy 😁

PEACE

_
_
_

• Like 3

When musical machines communicate, we had better listen…

http://youtube.com/@ecoutezpourentendre

re: shoes

I work from home but for a while we had two elderly pets and let's just say it was best that all rugs were taken up.

Hard tile in the house, so I followed the lead of my young adult son and got..... crocs!

Man, they are like teams of small angelic porters under my feet floating me around!   The band makes fun of me because I wore them to practice, but pffffffttt on them!   And if I want, I'll wear jorts to practice too (I'd have to actually go buy some).  They are just jealous of my beatific smile, their shoes only cause them consternation.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, surfergirl said:

My mentor, Jack Reeves.

That is so cool!  :cool: 

💡  Jennifer, I really think that you should go into making fiberglass guitars- either fully fiberglass, or fiberglass bodies with wooden necks and/or fretboards. They'd be resistant to the effects of climate and weather, right?  You might call your brand Surfergirl, with a theme and vibe as surfy and Hawaiian as you and your family are. I want to live in a world where you're doing that!

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

That is so cool!  :cool: 

💡  Jennifer, I really think that you should go into making fiberglass guitars- either fully fiberglass, or fiberglass bodies with wooden necks and/or fretboards. They'd be resistant to the effects of climate and weather, right?  You might call your brand Surfergirl, with a theme and vibe as surfy and Hawaiian as you and your family are. I want to live in a world where you're doing that!

There are a lot of reasons I probably won't do that. I don't have a lot of space and I have 3 outside interests, 2 of which other people depend on me.

There's a dirty little secret about the surfboard industry, not really a secret inside, it's not very environmentally friendly. Polyurethane foam and fiberglass are the main issues. They're are alternatives, but they have issues that need to be worked out. 

If I start my own business I will use hemp, flax and, if I can get it, basalt instead of fiberglass to glass boards.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Cool 1

Jennifer S.

If I start my own business I will use hemp, flax and, if I can get it, basalt instead of fiberglass to glass boards.

Does anyone use these materials and the process you have in mind to make surfboards? Can a somewhat foam like interior and harder shell like exterior be made, that would be light and have some pleasant acoustic qualities?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

Does anyone use these materials and the process you have in mind to make surfboards? Can a somewhat foam like interior and harder shell like exterior be made, that would be light and have some pleasant acoustic qualities?

They are being used by small builders, less than two hundred boards a year. 

Basalt could possibly be used as a hard shell. I've read some data on it today, from the 20% I understood it appears to fall between fiberglass and carbon fiber. 

• Like 2

Jennifer S.

I used to shape and glass surf boards. I learned it from a dude from Solana Beach California. His name was Hank Byzak and the name of his brand was Pure Fun Surfboards He also built and sold Encinitas brand surf boards. I took that knowledge back east with me and taught several of the local surfers there how to accomplish shaping and glassing. Several of those dudes still make surfboards to this day. The materials were toxic as can be, so I quit shaping and glassing. Learning to do the curves and rails was a big help & when I got out west here,  I used to work up in Scottsdale Az and Carefree Az making Bee Hive fireplaces for the rich folk. Hank taught me the secret to creating curves, and I used that skill to make all kinds of curved walls out of masonry.BeeHiveFireplaces.thumb.jpg.66959b32cd17755c022709a05252bd51.jpg

• Like 6
  • Cool 1

6 hours ago, hurricane hugo said:

crazy sustainer guitars...call Adrian Belew quick!

I dig that. Maybe someday I'll hafta rig up an exposed reverb pan like that on a stand, next to a Strymon El Capistan (also on a stand), for easy access to wild echo and reverb manipulations and freak-out sessions...

I can get a lot of similar "sustainer" and 'bowed' sounds with either my crazy Sustainiac Model C "acoustic feedback generator" (physical vibration, not magnetic) from Maniac Music; or, even with an electric fan blowing across the strings to vibrate them (works best with active EMG pickups or the like). So, I'll leave the magnetic-pickup-driver type sustainers to everybody else, and go my own way... Cool, though!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

I dig that. Maybe someday I'll hafta rig up an exposed reverb pan like that on a stand, next to a Strymon El Capistan (also on a stand), for easy access to wild echo and reverb manipulations and freak-out sessions...

I have a set of exposed springs I pulled from an old Standel amp many decades ago, mounted on a wood frame (nice lacquered oak,) & wired to a 1/4" jack. I used it a lot in the early aughts, into my multiple loops & FX. 

• Like 2
  • Cool 1
Scott Fraser

9 hours ago, hurricane hugo said:

trailer for the upcoming Pharrell Williams biopic:

Thanks for bringing that to my attention! We'll be going to see that in the cinema, rather than waiting for streaming or other mediums- largely for the big cinema sound!

• Like 2

On 9/2/2024 at 10:21 PM, Scott Fraser said:

I have a set of exposed springs I pulled from an old Standel amp many decades ago, mounted on a wood frame (nice lacquered oak,) & wired to a 1/4" jack. I used it a lot in the early aughts, into my multiple loops & FX. 

I have an old Autoharp, with the Chord Bars removed, so it's essentially a sort of Zither. Sometimes I use an E-Bow on it, sometimes I use chopsticks as hammers, and sometimes I lean it in front of the Speaker on one of my Amps, and mic the resonant tones that come out of it. @Craig Andertonlong ago had a description of what he called an "Aeolian Reverb" designed around the same basic idea. Don't recall if I saw it in GP or EM, but the idea appealed to me. Now, play a Sustainer Guitar through the Aeolian Reverb, and you've got some otherworldly sounds . . .

• Like 2
  • Love 1

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

1 hour ago, Winston Psmith said:

I have an old Autoharp, with the Chord Bars removed, so it's essentially a sort of Zither. Sometimes I use an E-Bow on it, sometimes I use chopsticks as hammers, and sometimes I lean it in front of the Speaker on one of my Amps, and mic the resonant tones that come out of it. @Craig Andertonlong ago had a description of what he called an "Aeolian Reverb" designed around the same basic idea. Don't recall if I saw it in GP or EM, but the idea appealed to me. Now, play a Sustainer Guitar through the Aeolian Reverb, and you've got some otherworldly sounds . . .

Me too, autoharp with the chord bars removed. I used to bottleneck on the strings, while picking up various combinations of clusters with a humbucker in my right hand. I had it tuned to an E major. Very cool device.

• Like 2
Scott Fraser

I've always wanted to visit, now I'm more determined.

https://youtu.be/LN_GKx0rBqg?si=Ex9IV5Lt_JoM09OB

Would you believe that I haven't been there yet, myself, and it's not too terribly far from me here in New York?

Elizabeth and I were in that neck of the woods one day, but didn't have time to go and see it...

It'd be super cool if you and Elizabeth and I met up there one day!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

Would you believe that I haven't been there yet, myself, and it's not too terribly far from me here in New York?

Elizabeth and I were in that neck of the woods one day, but didn't have time to go and see it...

It'd be super cool if you and Elizabeth and I met up there one day!

That would be cool. It will be awhile before we can afford it. We'll want do everything on one trip, because we'll never get back again. We've got 6 place we want to visit, starting and ending in DC.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

Jennifer S.