Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

DOMi & JD Beck

I would say most the serious musicians learn to sing what they want to transcribe first,  then transcribe from what their singing.  Do that teaches a lot about phrasing.    Lennie Tristano and Charlie Banacos had students learn to sing solos was a part of how they taught trained both the ear and improv.

When I was a university student, I signed up for the music theory course sequence for first-year music majors.  There was a reportedly easier "for non-majors" theory course, which I could have taken, as my major was in electrical engineering, but my music nerd FOMO wouldn't let me settle for that.

Every class began with singing the chromatic scale against a root note, then sight-singing.  I thought the music majors would have an easier time than me, especially the ones who had been playing classical music since early childhood.  I was surprised to see and hear them struggle as much as I did, to sight-sing even a simple diatonic melody off of sheet music. This taught me that it is possible, even common, to learn how to play an instrument and read music on your instrument without really hearing the music - pitches and rhythm - especially rhythm - in your head.

I didn't understand  the connection of all of this to improvisation until years later.

• 2 weeks later...

Very true, but I simply cannot control my singing/pitch/etc to do this. I know it would be helpful, but it is nigh impossible for me to do.

On 8/1/2022 at 2:34 PM, Docbop said:

I would say most the serious musicians learn to sing what they want to transcribe first,  then transcribe from what their singing.  Do that teaches a lot about phrasing.    Lennie Tristano and Charlie Banacos had students learn to sing solos was a part of how they taught trained both the ear and improv.

The drummer I play with just turned me onto their debut album, and I like it quite a bit. I'm impressed with Domi's playing, to have that clean articulation, and that rich a harmonic vocabulary at that age (or any age) is amazing. I find I'm less inspired by her sounds, a lot of the keyboard sounds on the album, and in the videos I've watched, are kind of generic and plastic, I rather wish she'd used a real piano or Rhodes on the album. But still, I like the record a lot, and it'd cool to hear new fusion that actually has chord changes, maybe it has too many of them sometimes, but it's nice to hear stuff that doesn't just sit on one chord.

To my ears, JD Beck is the real innovator of the 2, he is so rhythmically precise in where he places notes on or around beats, and he gets his sounds by physically altering the drums, with towels, etc, not electronics. I gave the album a headphone listen, and was really blown away by his playing and his sounds.

Plus, anybody who can get Herbie Hancock and Biz Markie on their debut album is OK by me!

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

• 1 year later...

I saw them live here in L.A. Killer show and the crowd was really diverse with lots of young folks groovin' hard. Can't say I see that with a lot of other instrumental groups (tends to be more guys sitting there with arms folded judging every note lol). One thing to note as well is that there is a thunderous low end/bass presence live that you just don't get from the album or youtube vids unless you have a serious home audio set up with a good sub woofer. Definitely adds another dimension to their music when you can literally feel it hitting your body. I love the record but live takes it to another level!

Jazz is the teacher, Funk is the preacher!

Seen them live and it was pretty mind blowing. Such incredible talent.

My only complaint would be that they don't seem to translate into the "just listen" category. They're so cool to watch and experience in a room full of musos, but without the visual element, I haven't really been able to dig them.

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

IMO, the talent they display will primarily appeal to musicians and enthusiasts.  They will earn the bulk of their money from live performances.  I doubt they will ever produce a commercial successfully record or become a pop music duo. 😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

9 hours ago, ProfD said:

IMO, the talent they display will primarily appeal to musicians and enthusiasts.  They will earn the bulk of their money from live performances.  I doubt they will ever produce a commercial successfully record or become a pop music duo. 😎

Considering their age and the kind of music they’re playing, I’d say the millions of views and streams is pretty ok by today’s standards. I’m sure nobody thought Thundercat would have hundred’s of millions of streams and the fan base he has now when he first arrived but the times they are a changin’. But yeah, I don’t think they’re gunning for T Swift’s job if that’s what you mean.

Jazz is the teacher, Funk is the preacher!

On 10/24/2023 at 4:21 PM, ProfD said:

You say that like it's a knock. Is it their goal to be a "pop music duo"? I don't follow them so I wouldn't know. However, if I was playing the kind of music they're doing, I'd consider myself pretty successful if I got to where they are now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Reezekeys said:

You say that like it's a knock. Is their goal is to be a "pop music duo"? I don't follow them so I wouldn't know. However, if I was playing the kind of music they're doing, I'd consider myself pretty successful if I got to where they are now.

Definitely not a knock.

I totally applaud and appreciate what they do.

Just an observation considering their style of music and from an industry perspective.

Otherwise, they will be successful as performing musicians.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

On 10/23/2023 at 4:37 PM, CrossRhodes said:

One thing to note as well is that there is a thunderous low end/bass presence live that you just don't get from the album or youtube vids unless you have a serious home audio set up with a good sub woofer. Definitely adds another dimension to their music when you can literally feel it hitting your body. I love the record but live takes it to another level!

Agreed 100%. Watching videos I was like "cool gimmick but might be time to grow up and get a bass player". But when I heard them in person, her LH bass sounded amazing, and the fact that's it's just two of them really makes it special in terms of tightness, energy etc.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2023 at 2:22 PM, CEB said:

Aww. I was hoping for some hockey fight action of Tie Domi dropping the gloves. 

Personally I liked watching Max Domi better. Couldn't picked a better dude to punch than this fight. Not that I hate Ryan Kessler. Loved him when he played for USA hockey in the Olympics and hated him when he was a Canuck and a Duck. Probably be a great guy to have a beer with though.

• Like 1

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff