Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Dexibell S10/S10L

Looks like maybe an S9 with processor and memory upgrades... and notably, a 76-key semi-weighted version. Not waterfall like the J7, and the motorized sliders don't have the J7's drawbar-style caps, but it adds the pitch/mod wheels and presumably the additional buttonry and knobbage of the S9.

https://www.dexibell.com/vivo-s10_s10l/?lang=en

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Does Dexibell offer any pro level boards (That is, internal power supply, assignable audio outs, solid construction etc.) or are they more like Casio level? Do any pros use Dexibell? Am I right in saying they are ex-Roland Europe guys? If so, that’s a very decent pedigree. 

I know some will challenge my own definition of “pro level” and, indeed a pro player can make almost anything sound good (plus I know some like the PX5s etc.) However, hopefully people get my query! No offence intended.

Good to see different products out there. Would be great to give a Dexibell a try. Plain black colour scheme would’ve been good but I guess other companies have to find a way to carve their own identify in a world of popular “red” keyboards! 

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

Will be interesting to see the features.  Can the voices be panned 100% and is there a separate output for organ or is it like the J7 where they fell short in this area.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

1 hour ago, The Piano Man said:

Does Dexibell offer any pro level boards (That is, internal power supply, assignable audio outs, solid construction etc.) or are they more like Casio level?

No internal power supplies so far (can't tell about this new one yet), same with assignable outs. Nice construction though... kind of Nord-like, metal but not heavy. Controls and chassis feel solid. A good amount of fully rewritable sample memory (supporting both additional downloadable factory and user samples), class compliant external controller support and audio over MIDI, balanced outs on most models, would be some of their more pro-level features they do have. And the motorized sliders are really nice.

Am I right in saying they are ex-Roland Europe guys? If so, that’s a very decent pedigree. 

Yes, that's my understanding as well, that it sprung up from the remnants of Roland having closed their Italian division. You can see a lot of similarity in the terminology in their manuals, too. Like they both refer to "convenient functions" whereas we would typically call those things "convenience functions." ;-)

Plain black colour scheme would’ve been good but I guess other companies have to find a way to carve their own identify in a world of popular “red” keyboards! 

The control surfaces are easier to navigate in sub-optimal light than most black boards, though, which have an unfortunate probability of having non-contrasting black controls as well.

• Like 2

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I've never owned one, but I really like light-colored keyboards.  I'd think it would be easier to see stuff especially on a board that's under another and they just look good (to me).  The white Montage for example I really like.

Then again, in the field I work in (roughly let's call it computer development), seems like most people prefer "dark mode" with light text on dark background.  I've always preferred dark text on light.   

On 6/3/2022 at 2:56 PM, AnotherScott said:

class compliant external controller support

My usual questions on the subject of controller support...

Do the Dexi's allow a controller to play one sound (voice, tone, program...) while the built-in keyboard plays another?

Splits/layers on the internal keyboard possible while doing this?

Splits/layers on the controller possible while doing this? Does the controller have to manage the splits/layers on separate MIDI channels to achieve this?

The 76-key variant could be an interesting choice over a Yamaha P121 which is the lightest hammer-action 7x I know, but only has USB (device) MIDI capability, no 5-pin DIN.

Cheers, Mike.

On 6/4/2022 at 10:58 AM, stoken6 said:

Do the Dexi's allow a controller to play one sound (voice, tone, program...) while the built-in keyboard plays another?

Splits/layers on the internal keyboard possible while doing this?

Splits/layers on the controller possible while doing this? Does the controller have to manage the splits/layers on separate MIDI channels to achieve this?

I suspect the answer to all those questions is yes.

They are typically 4-Part instruments: Upper (the main sound), Coupled (layered with the main sound), Lower (a split section below the Upper/Coupled sounds), and Pedal (played by pedalboard OR on to the left of the split point; and that lower region of the keyboard, the sound is polyphonic if it is the only sound playing below the split point, or monophonic (low-note priority) if layered with a Lower sound).

Each of the 4 Parts has its own MIDI receive channel. I would think that each of the 4 Parts would respond to MIDI even if that part is not activated to play for the board's own keys, but I can't confirm this. Assuming that's true, then it would seem you could do everything you mentioned... one or more sounds played from the internal keys, one or more sounds played from the external keys, as long as you don't exceed four parts total; and yes, the externally triggered sounds would be determined by the MIDI zoning within the controller.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Radagast said:

Could the non weighted model (76 key or 73 key) be a replacement for the J7?  They certainly have a lot of similarities.

That may depend on the relative pricing of the two...

Thanks Mr Nursers that video gave me a chance to see the 3 together. I must say that smaller S1 looks nice and streamlined. All look great 

Shame the S1 doesnt have real midi.  Why do modern manufacturers leave off midi dins when theres so many whod consider to use this S1 live with legacy midi boards 

Looking for lightweight alternatives as a bottom board and this one is leaves out midi dins. CRAZY. Im not sure if 68 notes is enough above 61 for me (I simply cant come to grips with a 61 as bottom board now a days) but i believe they extend in the low range not top so that would appeal more to me.

Thought 73 would be my smallest limit but would have sort one out to try except in Aussie its 2199 gold "Kangaroo" coins.

For that Id expect midi dins and pitch bend on left. But like all imports here its generally "upcosted" by the importer/distributor not the company itself. So i dont blame Dexibell because we are doomed to "upcosted" product$ in Au$$ie.

Im liking what dexibell is doing overal. Infact most Italian keyboards and other gear have more appeal to me presently. (But thats only by reading their specs probaly wont see many here to try out.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUSSIEKEYS said:

Shame the S1 doesnt have real midi. 

Crazy

Im not sure if 68 notes is enough above 61 for me

I would love an extra octave: A-E 80-key would be cool. Or even C-E 77. I find I'm missing the low Eb and D under normal 73/76-note boards

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 2

I am curious if there are any Dexibell owners on this thread.

I purchased a Vivo S9 earlier in the year but I haven't spent much time with it. It's one of those boards that is a little bit over my head..... kind of like my experience with some of the Motif based Yamahas I have had over the years. 

The good thing that I hear on it is the Concert Grand sample and definitely the organs....the organs are on par with several of the other Italian organ designers.... good chorus vibrato leslie sim etc. It's a bit awkward playing organ on a weighted board but there you are .... Many people have asked for a single board solution and the Dexibell delivers a lot. 

Since the board is a bit much for me I have considered offering on Garage Sale so if anyone is interested I could make this available at a great price.... far below what this new version is probably going for. And I am not sure what the differences really are

PM me if you have interest in a mint condition never gigged Vivo S9

2 hours ago, stoken6 said:

I would love an extra octave: A-E 80-key would be cool. Or even C-E 77. I find I'm missing the low Eb and D under normal 73/76-note boards

Cheers, Mike.

Yeah its always hard to get what works for different players.

I did have an early 73 note Akai MX73 controller which i think was ok range wise but i cant remember what key it started on. But it felt horrible to play but i like its simple 4 zone setup. Just enough functions for the day. I still have the module version of it infact 3 hee hee

Nice that the new model has assignable outs. That finally also addresses the limitation that you previously couldn't even pan sounds mono to one side. So that takes care of if you want to add a Vent to the organ, or want to route LH bass to its own mixer/amp destination.

5 hours ago, AUSSIEKEYS said:

Looking for lightweight alternatives as a bottom board and this one is leaves out midi dins. CRAZY.

I've said before that the lightest board I could imagine being pretty content with as a bottom/piano board would be the Vox Continental 73. The S1 weighs about the same, and costs a lot less. I agree, the loss of DIN MIDI is unfortunate. Though, to me, the biggest immediate shortcoming is patch selection. Almost all patch recall has to be done by scrolling through a list. The only exceptions I can see are that there is a shortcut to the main piano sound, and you can define which sound comes up by default under each of its 6 category buttons. But I suppose you could address that with a smartphone and some velcro...

I think it's great that Dexibell remains in the game.  I don't know of anybody who owns and/or gigs with any of their KBs.  Yet, the company is still updating soundbanks and releasing new products. 😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

7 hours ago, LX 88 said:

I am curious if there are any Dexibell owners on this thread.

I purchased a Vivo S9 earlier in the year but I haven't spent much time with it. It's one of those boards that is a little bit over my head..... kind of like my experience with some of the Motif based Yamahas I have had over the years. 

The good thing that I hear on it is the Concert Grand sample and definitely the organs....the organs are on par with several of the other Italian organ designers.... good chorus vibrato leslie sim etc. It's a bit awkward playing organ on a weighted board but there you are .... Many people have asked for a single board solution and the Dexibell delivers a lot. 

Since the board is a bit much for me I have considered offering on Garage Sale so if anyone is interested I could make this available at a great price.... far below what this new version is probably going for. And I am not sure what the differences really are

PM me if you have interest in a mint condition never gigged Vivo S9

Miiiight be interested! PM'd

8 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

I've said before that the lightest board I could imagine being pretty content with as a bottom/piano board would be the Vox Continental 73..

Yes indeed i have actually taken that on board from your writings long time ago. Yes some of us listen intently. Its still a consideration if a used one comes up here though never seen a single one advertised here.

Though the dexibell S1 thought was that it has no upper function buttons etc so top board can be slid forward.

With my Stay Slim stand to get the top board close to the bottom board if the top keyboard isn't forward enough the mounting arms will protrude in front of keys like any bazooka keyboard apex style stand.

Other wise the top keyboard needs to be higher up the bazooka stalk to remedy the arms sticking forward.

My current thought was a thin Numa Cocal 2x (7kg) under with a Korg Kross (4kg) on top. Within my ideal weight.

But the Vivo S1 being slimline like the Cocal peaked my interest. Its so pretty too. No midi blahhh

Re the shite patch selection which pisses me off (even on the Conti) i do have a small patch selector device a Genovation i bought off one of our Aussie members if needed.

Although im hunting i don't need to currently grab anything quickly as i left my band a year ago (simply not happy with its direction) and since then the "jibberjabba" restrictions here do not allow me to play in venues nor even join a band as its become a prerequisite for bands. (so had i stayed id been forced out anyway by the gvment restrictions). So at monent im cruising options.

I may swap my way into something usable as i have stuff i don't want (both musical and non musical) up for swap locally for keyboards im interested in. So presently no need to jump quickly.

Does swapping work? Other than getting a small cheap midi controller (hah no midi dins so useless) for an old windsurfing mast i simply wanted gone no not yet.  But I almost got a Yamaha SK50d then offered a PX5 for my trailer but didnt pan out. The Px5 could have replaced my PX330 without a need for a second keyboard. Why swap well if i sold my stuff it would go on bills and not be spent on gear. Swapping is fun bit most people cant come to grips with it.

So i have time to compare as yet. So far i think the Numa Cocal 2x is affordable if i have to buy new or a Conti a used one is a consideration.

Ive got to get the weight of a keyboard down to 8kg due to my damaged lungs if i have any way to continue performing. The conti or Numa Cocal 2x can be a one board option where as im not sure the S1 adresses synth sounds????

I know they werent demonstrating the S1 in this video but its this video that actually showed how streamlined the S1 is. No midi dins crazy.

Though the dexibell S1 thought was that it has no upper function buttons etc so top board can be slid forward.

That's how I set up the Vox. I used its front panel controls only for creating the sounds. For performance, all I would need to access would be the buttons right above the keys. For example:IMG-6330.thumb.jpg.004ce372040e485b29e61135b8dc2f14.jpg

My current thought was a thin Numa Cocal 2x under with a Korg Kross on top. But the Vivo S1 being slimline like the Cocal peaked my intetest. Its so pretty too.

I haven't played the S1, but assuming it's not too heavily sprung, its TP8/Piano should feel better than the 9 in the Numa; and its piano/EP sounds would be better (incl. the ability to load in soundfonts); and its patch selection is, well, comparably awkward. ;-) Of course the Numa gives you some other things... 88 keys, aftertouch, pitch/mod controls, 9 sliders for various things, and yes, the 5-pin MIDI jacks. It certainly does a bunch of things the S1 can't do. But to the extent that they can do the same things, the Dexi probably does them better.

i do have a small patch selector device a Genovation

Ah! I used to have my eyes out for one of those. Rare bird.

im not sure the S1 adresses synth sounds????

Yes, between their sounds and soundfonts... but they're just straight samples. No pitch bend/mod wheels, no portamento or mono mode, no filter controls. Maybe some envelope adjustments.

2 minutes ago, nadroj said:

Motorised drawbar faders, but no waterfall action even though past models had it? 

They also made the decision to use fader-style caps instead of drawbar-style caps. I guess it's a marketing decision to make it seem more like an "all-rounder" than an organ-centric board. Whether it's the right call or not, who knows...

• Like 1

Thanks Scot thats very helpful indeed. I had the thought of the conti in back of my mind even as a single board because of what youd mentioned about its action many times.

Yes the Genovation is cool when needed. The hand unit is compact enough although that is connected to a secondary unit that adds a little bulk. But it gives me an option as like you im disapointed how most boards dont have a 10 digit or similar input. Preference is onboard though to save lugging extra gear.

Always appreciate your input through the years.

• Like 1

Anyway.... I have this Dexibell Vivo S9 that needs to get posted on Garage Sale. I am not in love with the new format on this forum.... I see a link to New Topic but it looks to me like its the link  to post a new chat thread not to Garage Sale

The Dexibell is just too much board for me. .... I might entertain trade offers . Too much technology just leaves me in the dust anymore. As I said I could not even deal with Motif based Yamahas with 140 or so page owners manuals... that sort of thing. My main piano is Roland FP 10...you turn it on and play it.

I got this Dexibell through a contact with a service tech....I believe it was a floor model and there was a lack of familiarity with the company among customers... especially on an item that was listing around 4K. So we got a blowout price

So is the link to Garage Sale on the New Topic button? This new format screwed up my past PM contacts among other things. Not in love with it....

4 hours ago, LX 88 said:

So is the link to Garage Sale on the New Topic button? This new format screwed up my past PM contacts among other things. Not in love with it....

https://forums.musicplayer.com/forum/41-garage-salekc-classifieds/

Click the link above to get to the Garage Sale/Classifieds subforum. 😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"