Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Dexibell S10/S10L

• 2 weeks later...

On 6/8/2022 at 9:51 AM, LX 88 said:

Anyway.... I have this Dexibell Vivo S9 that needs to get posted on Garage Sale. I am not in love with the new format on this forum.... I see a link to New Topic but it looks to me like its the link  to post a new chat thread not to Garage Sale

The Dexibell is just too much board for me. .... I might entertain trade offers . Too much technology just leaves me in the dust anymore. As I said I could not even deal with Motif based Yamahas with 140 or so page owners manuals... that sort of thing. My main piano is Roland FP 10...you turn it on and play it.

I got this Dexibell through a contact with a service tech....I believe it was a floor model and there was a lack of familiarity with the company among customers... especially on an item that was listing around 4K. So we got a blowout price

So is the link to Garage Sale on the New Topic button? This new format screwed up my past PM contacts among other things. Not in love with it....

I am actually in the search for a Dexibell S9. I’m a gigging musician and my original Nord just bit the dust. I’m pretty broke, but i’d still like to see your price point.

please email me at dylanfwells25@gmail.com  

23 minutes ago, Dylan Wells said:

" .. I’m a gigging musician ....  I’m pretty broke .."

Gee, Never heard that before.  The rest of us are all rich and famous.....

• Haha 2

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hmmm, supply chain issues seem to be keeping this one from launch?  

I’m curious where we are on their organ engine and, most important, leslie simulation. On par with what Yamaha recently put in the YC? 

Will the S10L have a semiweight synth action or TP-8O.   Have they developed effective application of triple sensor in their piano engine?  Functional on both the S10 and S10L’s actions? 

I’m guessing a swap of fader caps is possible, maybe even with JC7 caps ordered from Dexibell.  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

On 7/18/2022 at 3:01 PM, dyl.keys said:

The S9 uses a Fatar Tp400w which is the best action in its class, not even Nord compared. 

This is a strange comment as Nord uses Fatar actions.   The best digital piano action Nord is using is in the Nord Grand and it’s a Kawai action.  🤷‍♂️

7 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

I’m curious where we are on their organ engine and, most important, leslie simulation. On par with what Yamaha recently put in the YC?

There was one update some years back that greatly improved it, but nothing since then. I would not say it is as good as the current YC (but better than the pre-updated YC). (And there is no indication that there is any further update to the organ engine coming with the S10,)

Will the S10L have a semiweight synth action or TP-8O. 

Pics show diving board, so not a TP8/O.

Have they developed effective application of triple sensor in their piano engine?  Functional on both the S10 and S10L’s actions? 

No one has yet come out with a triple sensor non-hammer action. Maybe they don't see the market need (or expense justification) on a non-piano oriented board, or maybe the inherent physical playing characteristics of the non-hammer actions are such that there is little benefit to be had? As for whether triple sensor provides the expected benefit in any Fatar action, to me, that remains an open question. 

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

13 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

There was one update some years back that greatly improved it, but nothing since then. I would not say it is as good as the current YC (but better than the pre-updated YC). (And there is no indication that there is any further update to the organ engine coming with the S10,)

Pics show diving board, so not a TP8/O.

No one has yet come out with a triple sensor non-hammer action. Maybe they don't see the market need (or expense justification) on a non-piano oriented board, or maybe the inherent physical playing characteristics of the non-hammer actions are such that there is little benefit to be had? As for whether triple sensor provides the expected benefit in any Fatar action, to me, that remains an open question. 

Perhaps TP-9 

But more likely TP-8P as they use in the Vivo S1, dual contact. 

1 hour ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Perhaps TP-9 

But more likely TP-8P as they use in the Vivo S1, dual contact. 

Not TP-8P... that has piano-shaped keys (solid front with small lip), not diving board as shown in the S10L photo.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Edit, since my post is still most recent:  yes, it has sub outs and the guy mentioned the example of having the organ go out the subs if you have a rotary pedal.   Nice!

I'm curious as to what, if any, synth capability it has.  My impression is that it's something like the Nord Electro, though the dude in the demonstration did show changing cutoff and resonance.   That might mean it's closer to a Stage than an Electro (?) and if so--given Nord's huge price hikes--I'd be pretty interested. 

On 8/15/2022 at 10:40 AM, Stokely said:

Does this newer one have assignable outs (Scott mentioned no earlier, but I wasn't sure if that only applied to the older model).

It looks like the answer is yes! According to the link to the manual that Elmer posted, the unbalanced outs can be used as a sub out.

On 8/15/2022 at 10:40 AM, Stokely said:

I'm curious as to what, if any, synth capability it has.  My impression is that it's something like the Nord Electro (though the dude in the demonstration did mention cutoff and resonance if I heard correctly.)

Dexibell has been ahead of Electro there, I think every model has had 5-stage amp envelope controls and cutoff/resonance on its synth sounds, and has had mono solo sounds with adjustable low/high/last note priority (though I don't think they have portamento). And numerous models have had pitch/mod wheels.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 11/15/2022 at 6:58 PM, ElmerJFudd said:

Missed this video last time - I respect the 11/8 fusion piece he's doing. Love that stuff. Wish we got more of that in keys demos. ;)

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

13 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

This video from last year on an SX8 suggests they continued to work on their organ and leslie sound after those first bizarre demos on the Combo J7. 

AFAIK, there have only been two implementations... the original, which I did not like, and the updated rotary, which improved enough to pass my "acceptable" threshold. I don't see anything in this video to imply any difference from that update.

ETA: The improved rotary effect came to the J7/S9 with OS 4.06, October 2018, and came to non organ-specific models with 4.07. The most recent update is 4.12.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2023 at 6:15 AM, LX888 said:

I still have a Vivo S9 that I would be interested in putting on garage sale....price very negotiable. But still cannot find a link!!!

@LX888 Again: on the MAIN Keyboard Corner page, click the Garage Sale/KC Classifieds link at the top of the page, under the Sub Forums bar. Once you’re there, click the Start New Topic black button on the upper right.

Here for the gear.

• 3 months later...

Also, there are places his bass guitar line went high, or his piano part went low, and since it was presumably largely an improv, it gave him the benefit of not having to play in such a way as to be sure he didn't accidentally cross a split point.

24 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

Also, there are places his bass guitar line went high, or his piano part went low, and since it was presumably largely an improv, it gave him the benefit of not having to play in such a way as to be sure he didn't accidentally cross a split point.

I'm listening to that track on some decent speakers this morning.  It has room ambiance.   It almost sounds like they mic'd the room and we're hearing a mix of direct and a room mic.  Maybe they tried to match the reverb on the keyboards to the natural verb they were getting off the drums in the room.  I'm not sure.  But it sounds a bit boxy.  

The second recording, solo piano, has a shit ton of reverb on the piano and although his velocity changes a lot, the volume doesn't change all that much, the piano samples' timbre always sounds bright.  

• 2 months later...
On 6/12/2023 at 10:23 AM, ElmerJFudd said:

The second recording, solo piano, has a shit ton of reverb on the piano 

I'm curious as to how much a shit ton weighs ..... Sounds like alot.    LOL

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band