Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fuck. I am so over this week. First the kids in Texas, then my long time associate and friend in Chicago, and now this?  I am done. 

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Hope its alright to copy what is shared on Daves own product website and place here. Its a nice tribute to our hero.

REMEMBERING DAVE SMITH • 1950–2022

It is with heavy hearts that we share the news that Dave Smith has died.

We’re heartbroken, but take some small solace in knowing he was on the road doing what he loved best in the company of family, friends, and artists.

If you’d like to share your thoughts and memories of Dave, please reach

Thanks canoehead for alerting us.

I don’t normally cuss on this forum but I am fucking devastated. There are not words to describe the friend he was to Keyboard magazine and me personally. I thought I'd be shaking his hand again in a couple of days.

• Like 2
  • Sad 4
  • Love 3

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

This one hurts.  RIP Dave.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

Oh shit.

There are no words. He was such a hero to every keyboardist and synth player.

His achievements are unparalleled, and the importance of his designs is so huge.

I spoke to him just once (thanks to dB) and my impression was of an exceedingly nice human being. He listened to everything I had to say, asked for feedback... an unbelievably friendly, matter-of-fact guy.

This hurts on a personal level. RIP Dave Smith, and a world of gratitude.

• Like 3

I'm torn between mourning a bit and being extremely happy with the several Prophets & pair of Tetras I've owned. I also gratefully note his part in creating MIDI. They helped me along enormously. He's leaving a brilliant mark on the world. It calls for a proper wake more than the hanging of black crepe. Here's to Dave. :cheers:

"You seem pretty calm about all that."
 "Well, inside, I'm screaming.
    ~ "The Lazarus Project"

His instruments have brought me so much joy over the past 25+ years.  Devastated.

The Players:  OB-X8, Numa Compact 2X, Kawai K5000S, cheap Korean guitars/basses, Roland TD-1KV e-drums.  Eurorack/Banana modular, Synth/FX DIY.

I'm at a loss for words. He partnered with my previous employer on occasion, and when the pandemic shut us down indefinitely, a co-worker walked across the street to join his ranks. An incredible person, who got along with everybody, unconditionally. He helped lift up others who had seen better days in the industry. And a pioneer on many fronts, to boot: first affordable polysynth; first software synth; inventor of MIDI... the list goes on.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Aside from the brief blurb on the Sequential website and an email notice I received from one of his employees, this is all that I've found so far in the way of on-line acknowledgement:

https://www.synthtopia.com/content/2022/06/01/sequential-founder-father-of-midi-dave-smith-has-died/

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Reading between the lines of " on the road doing what he loved best in the company of family, friends, and artists" makes me think he was  preparing for Namm. 

Sad but passed doing what he loved and with who he loved. 

And missed by many he didnt even know. 

1 hour ago, marino said:

my impression was of an exceedingly nice human being. He listened to everything I had to say, asked for feedback... and unbelievably friendly, matter-of-fact guy.

Your impression was correct. He will be so missed by so many people, for so many reasons. We all owe a lot to Dave Smith.

This was really unexpected...it seems almost incomprehensible I'll never see him again. 

• Like 1

My thoughts are with his family, friends, and everyone at Sequential. 

Dave was a true music pioneer. From midi to the Prophet 5 to countless other synths, Dave designed and created pure magic. How many NAMMs did Dave steal the show and make us say “Wow!?”

He will be greatly missed. RIP.

The man was a genius. Pioneer of synthesizer and music technology. He gave us great tools to facilitate our creativity in music composition, performance and sound design. Thanks for everything. Job well done. RIP Mr. Dave Smith.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

19 minutes ago, MAJUSCULE said:

Shocked, saddened, grateful for his contributions. RIP Dave. Not usually a tequila guy but I might have to buy a bottle in his honour.

I just went into my vault and opened a bottle of the best Tequila I had stashed, Milagro Select Barrel Reserve. Seemed appropriate. 

• Like 3
:nopity: