Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Greetings, 

I am looking for something with weighted keys, to be used when playing jazz gigs with small spaces. I think I could get by  fine with 73 keys. I would actually prefer just 73 keys anyways...   All I need is a good piano sound (not too bright) and a Rhodes sound. All the other 73 keys fully weighted are out of my budget. 

Anyone here  using P125 or 121 for local  gigging? 

Thoughts? 

I undertook a similar search about a year ago.  73/76 keys with weighted action - emphasis on acoustic and electric piano sounds.  My research matched yours -- the P121 is the only option in its price range.  Since my search, Studiologic introduced the Numa X 73 at an intermediate price point (~1300 USD) between the P121 and all the other options I found, mostly at or well above 2000 USD.

I happened upon a good deal on a used Dexibell S3, which I'm very happy with.  But had that deal not come along, I probably would've bought and been happy with the P121.

Good luck!    

I picked up a P121 a couple of months ago.  IMO it's got decent piano and Rhodes sounds. The Rhodes sound has a fair amount of funky "bark, which I personally like.  Others may not.  Bear in mind the Rhodes sound is not top shelf with some velocity switching evident, but it works for me.   I suspect that in a live band mix at a gig the P121's Rhodes' minor velocity switching probably won't be discernable.   If you want a better Rhodes sound, the P121's USB midi / audio makes it easy with one cable to an Ipad / Iphone.. 

• Like 1

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

3 hours ago, Morrissey said:

I undertook a similar search about a year ago.  73/76 keys with weighted action - emphasis on acoustic and electric piano sounds.  My research matched yours -- the P121 is the only option in its price range.  Since my search, Studiologic introduced the Numa X 73 at an intermediate price point (~1300 USD) between the P121 and all the other options I found, mostly at or well above 2000 USD.

I happened upon a good deal on a used Dexibell S3, which I'm very happy with.  But had that deal not come along, I probably would've bought and been happy with the P121.

Good luck!    

This is the issue -- to do better than the P121 in 73 hammer action keys you have to go way up in price.  There is no close comparison on the price/functionality spectrum, and the closest comparator, the Numa X, is still an unknown.  I think the Kawai ES110 has a better feel and gives more dynamic feedback than the Yamaha P, but the ES is an 88.  I wish Kawai would do a 73, but that seems unlikely.

• Like 1

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Thank you for the replies thus far. I know it is not a top of the line instrument, probably designed more for the home player, so I guess my main concern is if it could withstand being hauled around in a soft gig bag. Most of my gig are as Dave called "low key"  They client wants some music for cocktail/dinner, not too loud, and don't take up too much space, get out in a hurry, and let the DJ take over. No need for a big, bulky, top of the line keyboard for that sort of thing! 

I found somebody selling one in the area for just a few hundred dollars and figured I had to jump on it - so I can confirm that yes, the P-121 would hold up just as well as any other board in a soft case. One thing to know that is not mentioned in many reviews is that this board sits somewhat high on a normal keyboard stand. That is because it is designed to sit normally with its custom stand (which you can get online used or b stock for as little as 30-40 dollars). See the picture below. With its stand, the keyboard rests on the edges and thus its height is normal for a piano. But without the custom stand, it rests on the bottom, elevating the overall height. This could be totally fine for you, but just a heads up. 

121.thumb.jpg.a0646548f6e1d0745f3a3a611db41bc6.jpg

IMG_8086.heic

• Like 1

Numa X Piano 73 | Yamaha CP4 | Mojo 61 | Motion Sound KP-612s | Hammond M3

Yes, if you plug in an iPad with one single cable and pull up Ravenscroft, it becomes a much better board. With that boost, it sounds as good as any other 73 key board you could find, in my opinion. Otherwise, yeah, it’s fine. 

Numa X Piano 73 | Yamaha CP4 | Mojo 61 | Motion Sound KP-612s | Hammond M3

19 hours ago, johnchop said:

I have one. It’s fine. Not in love with it.

Same impressions from me.

Is it a "wow!" instrument? Not at all.

Does it get the job done? Absolutely yes.

Will it stand the test of time? I have no idea, I've only used it for two years of sparse post-covid gigging.

But it's a Yamaha, so I expect it to last more or less forever. And it's tiny, light, has more than acceptable sound and action, I got it used for next to nothing and it has already more than repayed itself.

So yeah, it may not be a fancy instrument but it's a great, great tool of the trade.

• Like 2

And it's a hammer 73. Not as much of a unicorn as a few years ago, but should still be celebrated for its relative rarity.

Cheers, Mike.

20 hours ago, drawback said:

If Korg made a 73 key version of the D1, that would be my pick. Love their RH3.

And the RH3 is available in a 73 (Kronos, Grandstage, SV2...). Come on Korg, you know what to do...

Cheers, Mike.

FWIW I got a used Casio Privia PX-S1000 (they're out of production) for under $500.00 & for a small gathering it's just what I needed. For the price good AP, lightweight and battery powered. 

You don't know you're in the dark until you're in the light.

I got a P125 for my church as an extra board when they moved services outside during COVID. I have to say I was pretty impressed with how good and playable it was. I ended up borrowing it and using it on a solo piano jazz cocktail thing and it worked great. Great board for the price and weight.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I have had a P125 for perhaps 4 years or whenever it came out- I use it as my traveling board and like it alot.

I feel as though the main piano sounds are very good for the classic type rock music I use- and that the rhodes sound for the price range is good- again not a ES8 or VST rhodes but very good.

Speakers- nice job with them and also they go through the base of the piano. 

Note that it is a higher piano at about 6 1'2" inches so I had to get the custom case.

I had a P95 for a few years and a P105 brifely and felt they did an excellent upgrade on the 125.

My prior portable was a Casio PX-130, I traded it in towards this.

• 1 month later...

Maybe Yamaha have corrected the following problem:

"A problem has been reported in version 15 of iOS and iPadOS, in which Apps are sometimes unable to detect a Yamaha musical instrument after making a USB connection.

If you encounter this problem, turning off your iPhone/iPad and then turning it on again will allow the instrument to be detected normally. We have confirmed that this problem only occurs with version 15 of each OS.

As of October 27, 2021, we have reported this to Apple and are considering how to address it.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, but would ask for your patience while we resolve this issue."

https://au.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/pianos/p_series/p-125/index.html

There is probably no user option for updating the firmware hence the update? This problem is not reported on the P125a page.

Re. difference between the two 125´s:

At PianoWorldForum a member quote a page from the manual for 125a :

From the manual, pag 24: "Only MIDI data can be transmitted/received from/to this instrument. No audio data can be transmitted/received."

"This is my rig, and if you don´t like it....well, I have others!"

"Think positive...there's always something to complain about!"

• 5 months later...

Hadn't appreciated this significant downgrade from P125 to P125a.  Loss of USB audio, etc.

On 7/5/2022 at 8:04 AM, JohnDoe said:

Re. difference between the two 125´s:

At PianoWorldForum a member quote a page from the manual for 125a :

From the manual, pag 24: "Only MIDI data can be transmitted/received from/to this instrument. No audio data can be transmitted/received."

• Like 1

Yamaha P-121 (not 121A) is my main piano now, because of it´s built-in audio interface and that the keybed really fits my old stiff fingers!

• Like 1

"This is my rig, and if you don´t like it....well, I have others!"

"Think positive...there's always something to complain about!"

18 hours ago, Morrissey said:

Hadn't appreciated this significant downgrade from P125 to P125a.  Loss of USB audio, etc.

Thanks for the heads up in this. I hadn’t realised this either and I was in the market for one of these as a spare rehearsal/small gig board. Dropping the audio interface in a newer board seems a strange decision. Doesn’t seems to be any major upgrades either. Didn’t even know the 125a was released. Might have to look on the second hand market instead for an original 125. 

Yamaha MODX8, Legend Live.

• 1 year later...

Hola! Necesito ayuda.

Por favor, he comprado un Yamaha P121 porque ofrece la posibilidad de trabajar con el Modo Dúo. 

Yo trabajo mucho con un Bajo en la mano izquierda y piano en la mano derecha de forma simultanea.

El problema es que cuando utilizo el pedal Sustain, actúa sobre las 2 manos.

Saen si puedo configurar el piano P121 de tal forma que al usar el pedal Sustain,  sólo ejerza efecto sobre la mano derecha y no sobre las 2 manos?

Muchísimas gracias!!