Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

That Siblings Thang

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gentle Giant - of course.

I also want to mention another early prog group, my friends of BMS (Banco del Mutuo Soccorso), not known in the USA like PFM, but their main rivals as leading group of Italian prog.

What's also interesting is that the brothers are both keyboards players, making it one of the few groups with two keyboardists.

In the early 70s, Vittorio Nocenzi played organ and synths (mainly Minimoog) and composed most of the music, while his little brother Gianni played piano, synths and clarinet.

In the late 70s Gianni left the group and was later replaced by a (second) guitarist.

Another distinctive tract of the group's sound was the voice of lead singer Francesco Di Giacomo, who sadly died tragically in 2014.

Their second album, "Darwin!" from 1972 was voted not once but twice Best Prog Album of all times.

Incredibly, it was recorded on just eight tracks, performing miracles to achieve an acceptable sound.

So here's the beginning of "Darwin!" (oh, and it's *not* "live"... it's a mistake. This is the LP version)

Also, the lyrics are intense and poetic. Here is an half-decent translation:

https://lyricstranslate.com/en/levoluzione-evolution.html

1 hour ago, o0Ampy0o said:

OK the OP did imply the siblings must be siblings in real life by using The Partridge Family as an example to exclude.

We're musicians since when do rules, laws, or boundaries matter.   All about being creative and they were called "Brothers"  😎

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Docbop said:

We're musicians since when do rules, laws, or boundaries matter.   All about being creative and they were called "Brothers"  😎

So we can include the Brothers Four then, my mom used to listen to them, drove me nuts. Too nicey nice...

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

9 hours ago, Docbop said:

The Doobie Brothers, Big Brother and the Holding Company, every musical act with at least two African American dudes.

I am surprised Spinal Tap did not include the sibling angle to parody.

Canadian bluegrass veterans The Good Brothers.  Bruce, Brian and Larry.  Bruce and Brian are twins.  Great guys.

• Like 2

"The more a man looks at a thing, the less he can see it, and the more a man learns a thing, the less he knows it."

--G.K. Chesterton.  A lazy rationalization for not practising as much as I should

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2022 at 7:07 PM, MAJUSCULE said:

Dawes (Goldsmiths)

I'll tell ya, I've been straight-up obsessed with that band for over a year now, and the two of them singing together (never mind the perfect interaction between Taylor's guitar and Griffin's brilliant drumming) is just magical.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Loved watching the Lennon Sisters segments on the Lawrence Welk Show.

As Sly and the Family Stone was mentioned earlier I have some memories, I was 10 or 11(?) when I went to my first rock concert (Tower of Power, Bad Finger and Lee Michaels). Our mother dropped off and picked up me and my sister and friends. When she was picking us up cops busted some guy and frisked him against our car. My mother was horrified. I had traded jackets for the evening with a friend of my sister. I let him wear my leather fringe coat and I wore his "Derby." As we were all sitting in the family car while cops frisked that guy I was watching the friend of my sister. He was sitting against a light pole. We had just swapped back our jackets when my mom arrived. As I was looking at him he proceeded to puke all over himself. The next concert lined up was Sly and the Family Stone. My mother convinced us to stay home. She had purchased all of the tickets for us and she gladly gave them to my sister's friends.

EDIT: It may seem like my mom did not care about the kids she gave the tickets to. It was more like she had no idea how bad things were in reality. We were good kids. She had no idea how deep into trouble my sister and her friends were.